Center channel upgrade

Tython

Hi everyone. 

I bought a Klipsch Reference 5.0 system a few years back. Since Ive added a Klipsch sub as well. Im quite happy with it overall but I think the center speaker is a bit too weak.

The one I own is the RC-42 II. Im looking at the R-52C and am wondering if this will do the job better.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Regards

David

Hi David!

Spec-wise, the R-52C is a better performing center channel than your RC-42C II in my mind. The 52 goes lower, has bigger and better woofers, but won't go as high as the 42II but thats only by 1khz. Now, 1 khz tone difference is a substantial loss, but as far as movie tracks goes, I think you'll be fine. Having said this, the 52 is an older speaker than your 42II. I know much haven't changed in the speaker engineering scene in a LONG time, but I think you will be better off with the RC-52II. It is basically the same as the R-52C, but with the addition of the RC-42II distortion minimizing features. If you on the other hand take into consideration your system as a whole, you do have a sub that hopefully goes down to 20hz(and definitely goes lower than your center). This means that if you set your sub correctly, your sub will basically take care of the lows no matter how low even though your center couldn't achieve those lows. In other words, the sub takes the low no matter how low, and the only realistic thing you need to worry about with the center is how high it can go. The higher, the better. But just to make sure your time doesn't go to waste... Don't bother going out and testing the speaker that you consider buying. There are several key factors that will make the same speaker sound TOTALLY different. The room, the amp, the wires, the sound material source, and of course your own mood from time to time. Best thing would be to just order the speaker with the possibility of returning it should you not like it better than your current 42II.

Before going out and buying though... I would recommend fiddling around with your db levels and crossovers on your receiver. Your problem might just be that your speaker-settings are a bit mismatched and therefore ending up with a seemingly underpowered center channel. if you have your system settings set by a calibration software such as audyssey, AccuEQ, YPAO and such, chances are they've done it incorrectly. In contradiction to what these receiver brands would have you believe, they're calibration softwares aren't perfect. Sound is subjective and therefore can't be perfected by any software. Thats why I always recommend doing the settings manually, however tedious it might be and totally is. Both you and your system will be better off afterwards though. 

Good luck to you and don't hesitate should you have more q!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tython said:

Any suggestions or ideas?

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums!

The 504C has been getting rave reviews from owners.  It compares very favorably to the RC-64 III, the latter being the top of the Klipsch center food chain.  I would not worry about "timbre matching" as high quality goes with everything.

I own the RC-64 III.   Seen here with RF-83 and RP-600M.  I have not heard the 504C.

591494550_RP-600Mbi-amprightsideview_800.thumb.jpg.b8712124600503367435c1ae83b68773.jpg

+++

Edit:  For great service and prices on Klipsch stuff be sure to send a PM to fellow forum member @MetropolisLakeOutfitters for a quote and/or advice.  I have no affiliation except I bought my RP-600M from him.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for both of your answers! I have to be honest and say that I have not very much knowledge regarding speakers. Ive read quite a few reviews before I bought the reference 5.0 though.

I might add that the subwoofer I bought in addition is the R-10SW. It all runs off a Onkyo TX-NR636.

Henrik that RC-52 seems like a older version of the R-52C and seems hard to find. I havent used any calibration software to set up the system. Ive manually set it up through my amplifier. Sounds like a great idea getting some help from calibration software though. Ive adjusted and boosted the audio settings for the center channel but this is still too low. My wife complains that the audio is too loud sometimes, but Im having trouble hearing all of the speech 😂

The 504C seems like excellent choice for a center channel. Is it possible that this one can be too powerful comparing to the rest of the system?

Cheers!

David

6 hours ago, Tython said:

The 504C seems like excellent choice for a center channel. Is it possible that this one can be too powerful comparing to the rest of the system?

Cheers! - David

Hi David, I am Dave also.

I ran my RC-64 III with some bookshelf RP-600M's, as well as the flagship level RF-83's.  My RC-64 III does not overpower the bookshelf speakers, Audyssey makes them all play nice together.  The 504-C is NOT too powerful for your system.  What you will get is very clear dialog/vocals while the L/R plays other acoustic content. music etc..

In this system I use a Marantz 6011 in 5.1 mode.  FYI I also own an Onkyo TX NR717 which I love, great sound!  It is currently being used as a pre-pro with an Emotiva XPA-5 external amp. 

Seen here with CF-4, 15" DIY sub Ultimax and a pair of Inuke 3000dsp.

921994760_CheapThrillonCF-4small.thumb.jpg.8defb546685cf7a984aec0bf24939d08.jpg