Water heater needs fixed/replaced, -Completed-

wvu80

I have a 1990's era Whirlpool Water Heater, 40 gal, natural gas, Model starts with FG, meaning parts are available.

It needs a complete replacement of the door which includes thermocouple and the burner assembly is shot.  A replacement unit is $100 and I can DIY it, it's an easy install.

An additional problem cropped up when I flushed the scale out of the tank.  Now the valve is leaking and it does not look like an easy repair.  I'm thinking I have to bite the bullet and replace the water heater.  The question I need answered from you guys, is with what, a similar 40 gal unit or go tankless?

I can get either tank or tankless for about the same money, I'm budgeting around $600 but I can be talked into getting more, or less.  There is just one adults in the house, a dishwasher and washing machine.  I don't use the shower much, I shower at the health club at least 5 days a week and usually six.

The current 40 gal water heater is in my basement shoe horned in a closet.  I'd like to DIY it but it seems like a two-man job to get the old one out and new one in.

I'm a researching tankless but they are in general more expensive and the installation is much more expensive.  You can't use the old vent hood, a new vent must be punched through my brick walls to the outside.  The plumbing on the tankless is likewise more complex and if I go with natural gas I might have to upgrade my gas supply, but that should be covered by the gas company.  An electric tankless is an option.

Your experiences?  Suggestions, both general and specific (brands)?

You're on municipal water verses a well?  I asked about this once and was told since I'm on a well it would be less efficient since my well water might be a colder temp than municipal water (need to raise it more degrees to get it hot enough)

You could daisy chain a couple together to do that....  

I don't have gas so for me it's not an option and the electric version  wasn't going to work for me either.  (I was looking at the under sink style at each location)

Do you have calcium/scale problems?  You've referenced it already.  I have a lot of calcium in my water.  I was told with the amount I have it would kill a tankless in pretty short order.

I don't know if any of the above has any genuine merit....  it's just what I was told.  I replaced my 50 gal with an 80 gal!  (I have a killer shower downstairs)

I’d replace it with the same type as you have. Size and gas type

It would take you years to recoup the cost of a tankless or a hybrid water heater. Can you post pics of how the bad unit is installed? The water lines and gas line and a few pics showing how it’s in the closet or wherever it’s at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Can you post pics of how the bad unit is installed?

I'll get a pic up tomorrow.

+++

It's funny you guys are thinking right along with me.  I ask myself the same questions and the answers are not as clear.  I've gone from Repair --->>>  Replace with same --->  Tankless ---> and back to Replace with same

If I could could save $200 a year with tankless it would justify the cost, but I don't know the reality in real life when it comes to savings.

7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

If I could could save $200 a year with tankless it would justify the cost, but I don't know the reality in real life when it comes to savings.

Look at the energy guide on the side of your water  heater.  It'll give you the estimated yearly cost to run it.  Mine is $231 a year and it's a 40 galon gas.  You're not going to save $200 a year in energy.

We've led you to the water.  You going to drink or not?

9 hours ago, DizRotus said:

. . . which could result in a flooded basement.

It just occurred to me that Carl @CECAA850 and others might not recall that a “basement” is an area beneath a house that usually contains the hot water tank, furnace (a device used to heat northern homes) and stuff you haven’t touched for years but can’t bring yourself to toss out.

8 hours ago, oldtimer said:

You'll save a lot with a new and way more efficient unit.  I went from an old 40 gallon to a 50 or 55 (can't exactly remember) and there was a reduction in electricity use.

actually, the physics work in favor of larger being more efficient. Less surface per volume.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Look at the energy guide on the side of your water  heater.  It'll give you the estimated yearly cost to run it.  Mine is $231 a year and it's a 40 galon gas.  You're not going to save $200 a year in energy.

There's a caveat.  I read the side of the box at Lowes and for the 40 gal it said yearly energy costs $200.  Then I looked at a similar tankless model and surprisingly (to me) it said the same energy number, $200.  In my current lifestyle I shower at the health club 5-6 days a week, the bulk of what would use natural gas at home.  My thinking is if I could save 80% of energy costs with a tankless heater I could recoup the increased costs of installation in 3 years or so.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

We've led you to the water.  You going to drink or not?

The issues are obvious to me but the "perfect" answer is not.  Part of that is I am a frugal by choice, but there is a point where there are projects beyond my skills and I am trying too hard to save a few hundred bucks.  On some projects like this I should bite the bullet, pay the money and get something done the easy way.  I'm not a plumber.

1 hour ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

I also agree...Raplace it!

I am with you, I'm going to replace it, but with what?  A similar 40 gal tank I can DIY, or pay more money for the unit, more money for the install and get the long-term energy cost savings?  That's where I'm at. 

I am now needing to know which 40 gal tank (easy) or which tankless, the latter of which I don't know much about.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

The issues are obvious to me but the "perfect" answer is not.  Part of that is I am a frugal by choice, but there is a point where there are projects beyond my skills and I am trying too hard to save a few hundred bucks.  On some projects like this I should bite the bullet, pay the money and get something done the easy way.  I'm not a plumber.

Installation cost is going to be much higher on the tankless as they'll probably have to resize your gas line.

Another 40 gal gas and call it a day, you're good for another 10 years.  

Get you an estimate for the tank-less and that will likely seal the deal. 

BTW, it takes a much bigger tank-less unit in the real world than most people see advertised. Get the dishwasher, washing machine running and jump in the shower.   That may be an unlikely scenario for you, but it sure isn't around our place.