Water heater needs fixed/replaced, -Completed-

wvu80

16 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Best thing you can do for you water heater and the rest of your plumbing is to put clean water through it.  I never have to flush out scale from my water heater but I pull all of the mineral out, prior to it entering the tank.  Do yourself a favor and get your water properly tested for calcium and iron content and depending on those results, look at the proper water treatment.  it will pay for itself over a few years and a hell of a lot less cleaning.  Buy a good model with a great warranty from a local plumbing supply as others have stated, I would not buy any appliance from any big box store ever due the headaches in obtaining warranty if the need arises.  

Amen...

Gas water heaters have a limited lifespan irregardless of brand or warranty. I'd plan for replacement every 10-15 years and if you get a few more years out of them then its a win. I'd skip any wifi monitoring, etc.... there's no need for it and it only adds unnecessary complexity and expense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, avguytx said:

So there's not a locally owned store you can buy one from?

I never thought of that.  I'll check.  :emotion-21:

FYI the water heater I'm looking at from Home Depot has a 6 year warranty, and one-year in-home parts/labor warranty.  I bet that last part only applies if it is installed by HD.

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Simpler is better.  Less to go wrong.  How many times do you actually think you'll need to adjust your waterheater with your phone?

Like a sophisticated home thermostat it might be nice to turn the heat off at night, then start to heat an hour before the household wakes up.

The Rheem "app" can turn the heat up/down and put the water heater into Vacation Mode.  That's it for temp control.

That's what you get for $350 over the base model, and another $150 to get the wireless kit.

Just now, oldtimer said:

Vacation Mode for me was to throw the dedicated breaker, obviously an electric not gas.  I don't really do it for vacation either but there was a time I knew I wouldn't be there for months at a time.

And don't forget to shut off the water to the washing machine.  Coming home to a busted hose and house full of water will ruin your day.

I had rubber hoses on my washing machine and had been threatening to change them out to braided stainless for years.  This year prior to going on vacation I finally bit the bullet and replaced them.  When I got the rubber hoses off there was a caution label printed on the hoses themselves.  It said "Caution, to avoid hose failure replace by 11/2009.  Looks like I've been living lucky.

4 hours ago, Zack R said:

Gas water heaters have a limited lifespan irregardless of brand or warranty. I'd plan for replacement every 10-15 years

Man, you guys are smart.  I was going to repair mine even though it was over 20 years old.  There is no way after what I found in it.

For some reason I couldn't drain it with my 50 foot hose so I used a 2 gallon bucket.  I got nice clear water for the first 90%.  Then when I got to the last 5 gallons it looked like the Ohio River after a flood!  The water was muddy and murky and you couldn't see 6 inches to the bottom of the bucket.  I was bathing and washing my clothes in that?

Yuck!

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Vacation Mode for me was to throw the dedicated breaker, obviously an electric not gas.  I don't really do it for vacation either but there was a time I knew I wouldn't be there for months at a time.

* I turn off the main water line prior to an extended leave - no worries from washer, faucets, etc. —

4 hours ago, Zack R said:

Gas water heaters have a limited lifespan irregardless of brand or warranty. I'd plan for replacement every 10-15 years and if you get a few more years out of them then its a win. I'd skip any wifi monitoring, etc.... there's no need for it and it only adds unnecessary complexity and expense.

* similar to a roof with a 30 year warranty - yeah right —

On 10/30/2019 at 3:06 PM, wvu80 said:

Man, you guys are smart.  I was going to repair mine even though it was over 20 years old.  There is no way after what I found in it.

For some reason I couldn't drain it with my 50 foot hose so I used a 2 gallon bucket.  I got nice clear water for the first 90%.  Then when I got to the last 5 gallons it looked like the Ohio River after a flood!  The water was muddy and murky and you couldn't see 6 inches to the bottom of the bucket.  I was bathing and washing my clothes in that?

Yuck!

It just sediment at the bottom of the tank, not a surprise if its a 20 year old unit. Once the new one is installed its a good practice to drain and flush it out one a year to keep the sediment from accumulating. This will also prolong the life of the tank.

• Thanks 1

After Action Report:

I got the basic model Rheem 40 gal natural gas from Home Depot for four hundred bucks.  Add in an installation kit for $31.  I really did check and there were no local plumbing supply stores for consumers, as I live in a small town.  There were local places for contractors but I went ahead and got what I needed.  The Home Depot guys threw it into the back of the Rav 4 where it fit with no issues.  It was only 127 pounds and no kidding, my experience with La Scalas, Khorns and my 108 pound CF-4's enabled me to easily move the box into the basement where the closet was.

I paid a plumber (two guys) for an hour $80 to finish the connections because he was there and did some other work for me cleaning up that rat's nest of plumbing near the water heater.  Replacing the connections was an extra $250 in labor.

As I restarted each faucet in the house half of them did not have any water pressure.  Removing the aerator from each they were completely clogged with white looking scale, calcium and some other gunk.  I am soaking each one now in vinegar.

I could have DIY'd the plumbing mess but there were some technical issues in which I lacked knowledge, so I had Pete the Plumber change it out.  He used Shark Bite fittings.  Those little suckers were expensive!  About $150 for elbows, T's and ball valves.

There is still a little bit of copper water lines but now it's mostly Pex line for which the Shark Bites were designed.

Before and After:

IMG_2196_800.thumb.jpg.498ee8c11add13e2bdb37ba3f8b03c99.jpg

IMG_2190_800.jpg

• Like 3

i made my washing machine dance.  Put in some bedding (sheets, comforter) was in the bedroom and it sounded like freight train was barreling through the house. ran into the room and the washer was bouncing around like crazy. it had already moved about six inches away from the wall. I guess the load was not balanced and when it hit the spin cycle, it got mad. 

I’m definitely not Mr. Mom, so i hope that i didn’t ruin the thing. Since it didn’t get to spin, the stuff was dripping wet, so taking out of the washer to put in the dryer piecemeal.

I’ll tell you ... a comforter that is soaking wet weighs a ton!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1