Water heater needs fixed/replaced, -Completed-

wvu80

5 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Where's the shut off valve?

I thought that only people who weren't plumbers used shark bite fittings.

The shut off valve is a Shark Bite valve as well and it's on the cold water side before the tank.

Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything but I can put Shark Bite stuff together.  My big question was whether or not to stay with 1/2 inch or move to the 3/4" braided steel line that is the last thing going into the water tank.  Pete the Plumber used half inch all the way including into the water heater where he used an adapter 1/2 to 3/4 right at the tank.  I wasn't real happy with that setup but Pete said it was easier.  I'm not the expert so I wasn't confident insisting on a different solution.

Pete cheaped out on you.

You say you're not an expert but it doesn't seem he is either.  Your old piping was all 3/4" wasn't it?  He must have used more adapters on the other ends.  PEX has a smaller inside diameter than copper.  If anything you should oversize it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

yeah, i damaged it.   took the stuff out and the drum seems to be off kilter now so whenever it spins, it’s horribly out of balance and shakes violently. 

I hate today.

Can you lift the drum slightly and try to re center it?

15 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

yeah, i damaged it.   took the stuff out and the drum seems to be off kilter now so whenever it spins, it’s horribly out of balance and shakes violently. 

I hate today.

Perhaps it’s no longer level since it walked away from the wall.  When it’s back against the wall, make certain that all four feet touch the floor and that it’s level.  If that all checks out and it still shakes, you might have found that $5.37 worth of change you’ve been missing.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Can you lift the drum slightly and try to re center it?

haven’t tried “lifting” but when i push it to the side, it just bounces back when i let go. 

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Perhaps it’s no longer level since it walked away from the wall.  

i do believe it is out of level and i was thinking that one of the feet may have collapsed. but the way the drum is off-center and the way the housing is leaning, it appears that raising the low end will cause the drum to be even more off-center.  Since i don’t know where i want to live when i grow up, i’m just renting this place and the appliances came with the place, so i’ll have the maintenance staff take a look at it. I’ll just have to go buy some clothes to get me through a few days ... this happened at the end of my wash cycle so i don’t have much that clean.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

you might have found that $5.37 worth of change you’ve been missing.

Ha -- i probably have $30 or $40 lying around in my car.  Along with about 300 one dollar bills. I normally or abnormally don’t carry singles, so i just toss them on the table or wherever.  a couple weeks ago i counted and there was $147 in the bedroom and $98 in the living room --- there’s another stack that hasn’t been counted and an upside down pork pie hat has become a collection plate -- i guess i’m donating money to myself. oh yeah, a pile of singles in the car console too. 

i took a big bag full to the bank before i moved and deposited the money; but i don’t have a bank around here (my credit union is actually in SoCal and there isn’t a shared branch around here -- so i’m living off ATM usage. That said, i only see these stacks of $1 bills growing since i can’t walk into a bank and have them count it with their machine.  I guess there can be worse problems to have.

13 hours ago, GeorgeK said:

The stainless steel supply lines are required by code in FL. George

It seemed like a good idea, and there are kits put together for just that purpose.  It just seemed so common I wondered why he would do that different.

I hate to but I might just cut off that last 18" or so and use the braided lines.  I already own them, so what do I have to lose?

13 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Looking at it closer it appears that he went from 3/4 to 1/2 on the supply line where it 90s.  I wouldn't use him again.  

The cold water IN was 1/2 inch copper which stuck out of the wall.  The appropriate Shark Bite 1/2 to 1/2 will push onto the copper line and onto the Pex line.  Then there is half inch all the way to the water heater inlet where there is a 3/4" female male fitting. 

I am going to cut off the current fitting and use a 1/2 to 3/4 Shark bite adapter.  Then I will have 3/4" with the braided stainless line into the water heater.

And not use that guy again.