Forte design - with DH1As? Need some brain power.

iaRIVR

Still trying to plan my speaker project and need some Klipsch brainpower.  Just looking for direction not a how-to yet.

I’ve been planning to do some work to my Forte IIs - reworking the crossovers, building new stands, and reveneering in cherry. I like to tinker and build so this mostly for fun. Recently picked up a pair of EV DH1A’s with HP940 horns which have me thinking...

Background- my  room is 18x11, and due to space  my setup on the short wall and speakers about 6’ apart. I would like to get more punch in the bass and bring the sound out into the room as most of the seating positions are not ideal for listening. Another bonus would be to have the speakers against the wall. For bass I’d take clarity over boom, it’s not bad as is.

Budget of around $500-$800 over the long term. Options so far:

1. Upgrade Forte IIs. Build solid approx 10” stands, reveneer, maybe Ti mids, crossover component upgrades. Already done Crites caps and Ti tweeters.
  2. Build a 10” box to mount above the original cabinet for the tweeter and mid like a Khorn/LaScalla. Keeps  the woofer and passive in the original cabinet, closer to the floor like the original design (better bass?) and brings the mid and tweeter to ear height. Dampen and brace the woofer cabinet and reveneer  the whole thing to make one taller forte.
  3. Same as above but build entirely new cabinets and relocate passive. Front? Side? This would allow speakers to go against the wall. I’m intrigued by this but clearly Klipsch put the passives in the back for a reason. Similar to the KG3 with the passive and woofer stacked in the front.
  4. Use the Forte components as a bass bin to build a 3-way with DH1As. New  crossover using forte parts where possible. Build new cabinets so the Fortes could be returned to stock. This would be the cheapest way to incorporate the DH1As. Entirely new cabinet.
  5. Buy woofers  ($300 from crites) and make a ‘cornscala’ with the DH1As. Lots of plans for cornwall box, this seems to be a proven design. Use Forte tweeters or buy crites. Most expensive when you include a new crossover. New cabinet.

The first one is clearly the most practical, any of the others worth seriously considering? 

If the DH1As are not a significant improvement over the stock Forte II mid then scrap 4 & 5.

Thanks for any advice- I always learn a ton when I post weird ideas.

Edited by iaRIVR

I think the first step is to buy yourself a measurement rig like Omnimic and measure the Fortes first to establish a baseline.

Then make incremental changes and measure each change to quantify what your are doing.

It's good to trust your ears but they can't tell you everything that is changing.

You can change anything you want but splicing drivers, cabinets and crossovers I could not recommend without measurements. Speakers are called systems because the drivers position within the cabinet and their relationship to each other and the cabinet combine to create the sound you hear. The crossover is designed to tie this system of parts into a corherent whole.

On that basis if you change the Fortes drivers, their position in relation to each other in the cabinet or the width of the cabinet the crossover will need to change.

As I read down your list of changes I kept thinking - I'd need measurements to make that work, except for your first suggestion.

I've not heard the Fortes but they are iconic. If you need to change up the Fortes that much I'd be inclined to sell them and build a proven DIY design that meets you design/listening goals.

I'm all for improving speakers, my KG 5.5's have been a joy to update. But I simply could not have achieved much meaningful without measurements.

But what ever you do, enjoy! :emotion-22:

• Like 1

Making a boat into an airplane is always a tough one.

Fortes, re-veneer to something you like, maybe something exotic as keepers.

You already recapped the crossovers, if the surrounds are good, good to go

There may be a direct replacement tweeter that is better.

Bring the mids up to ear level always a good idea.

EV Driver might work for a bi-amp two-way active-crossover with EQ...... CornScala

EV specs an EQ module on the cut sheet, 500-17Khz achievable

15in Crites woofer

Picking the right horns may take a few tries

Crites may be able to recommend which one he sells that would most likely sound good

and deliver 500-17khz

Depending on your wood shop, you might want to make a practice box with cheaper plywood

and experiment with different horn configs, changing out the motor boards

this would also allow you do do things like run a 2x4 cross brace nailed or screwed from the outside etc

Once you have your horn and motor board, you could throw down for the mdf or birch etc

stiffener with lots of cut outs, lightening holes etc

If you don't already have amps, look at picking up 2x Yamaha MX-600s and recapping them.

New class Ds, a lot of people like the totl Crowns

https://www.electrovoice.com/binary/DH1A DH1A-16 EDS.pdf

Example build and parts list cornscala

ballpark total cost, shipping, taxes, odds and ends but excluding rosewood veneer about $1,500 for the pair

Crites made some custom cross overs for him AKs he also purchased may be customs

Great photos, but you have to go to the site.....

http://www3.telus.net/public/rtg/CornScala

• Like 1

All good thoughts, appreciate them. Each step up feels like a relatively small jump, but going from reveneering to building a cornscala is a big leap. I do the same with house projects and end up ripping out walls. But I know a lot more about that.

I'll start with the stands and continue to mod the Fortes. I will also keep my eye out for some 12-15" woofers to start playing with the DH1As, great call @Bubo to mock something up first.

@Deang - what speakers are you thinking? I've clearly got bigger eyes than my wallet...

• Like 1