McIntosh MC2505 & C28 - best speaker pairing?

cpkritzer

I'm having a McIntosh MC2505 and C28 refurbished.  I'm interested in what speaker pairing people recommend given 50 watts per channel operating simultaneously, into 4 ohm, 8 ohm, or 16 ohm loads.  My room is about 15ft x 15ft.  I listen to a wide variety of music at a wide variety of dBs.  Price is consideration, but I'm mostly curious what folks think will produce the best sound given the classic McIntosh SS amplifier / preamp setup.  

Look for used LaScala 1s, can be had for as little as $1200 excellent, 1980s

Used K-horns $2500 excellent 1980-1990

A pair Forte 2s, the best sleeper that I have heard for $500 used excellent

Forte 3s may be better, but I haven't heard them. $5000

Pair of used Heresy's 1 or 2 for $300-600

New Heresy 3s for $2000

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubo said:

Used K-horns $2500 excellent 1980-1990

Used K-horns would be my choice, if you have corners, or can build artificial corners.  If you seal up the backs (research it) they still benefit, and probably need, to be very near, or in, a corner, but can be toed in. 

9 hours ago, cpkritzer said:

at a wide variety of dBs

With a 1800 cu ft room (yours with an 8 foot  ceiling), 50 watts should get you something like 112 dB very clean, unclipped, instantaneous (50 ms to 500 ms) peaks and a good, powerful, average level with Klipschorns, according to http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html.  That's when rating the Klipschorn very, very conservatively at a sensitivity of 101 dB/1w/1m; the 105 dB/1w/1m would be in a room, speakers in a corner --- but, essentially, that's how you will listen, so  you might have about 4 dB more headroom.

Somebody may say that your room is too small for K-horns, but I used to have mine in an even smaller room, and they were great!  You need a carpet. 

With any speaker you might have a problem with a perfectly square room, but you an reduce one dimension by putting a well filled set of bookshelves behind the listeners.  Screw it to wall studs.  If necessary, build a tuned bass trap for any standing wave you get -- but I think you will be O.K. without it.

You will probably have to get the crossovers re-capped.  If you are not up to it, Bob Crites (BEC on this forum) does it.

Be sure to test the tweeters to make sure they are working.  Place an old paper towel or TP roll (without the paper) gently up in front of the tweeter, to separate its sound from the (dominant) midrange horn, and listen through it.  Play something with lots of treble (but don't turn up the treble or the overall volume much!).  Cymbals, triangle, or orchestra bells are good.

IMHO, La Scalas would need a subwoofer below about 60 Hz.

If you play vinyl, make sure your C28's refurbisher checks the phono section; the Achilles' Heel of the C28 was one channel dropping out on phono (only), usually the right channel, for some reason.  Otherwise, it was a wonderful preamp.  Khorns, in my room, would respond well to having the subtle Bass Trim turned up, and the separate Bass Control used for bass-shy CDs.

Oh, and welcome!

• Like 1

Thanks garyrc!  Following your recommendation I did some further investigation on the K-horns... I would eventually love to have a pair of these guys, but given the traffic pattern of my room it's just not feasible.  I also really appreciate the advice on the C28 phono channel.  It will be refurbished by Audio Classics in Vestal, New York - from what I can tell, these guys know McIntosh like few others, but I'll kindly mention it to them.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cpkritzer said:

There is an "open box" pair available on ebay for 2699 and that includes free shipping! 

Those are B stock open box.  Suggest you contact the seller and ask why they are B stock.

Very highly suggest you request pictures of all surfaces of each speaker.  The photos shown are likely stock photos used for advertising and not the actual speakers.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2019 at 8:00 AM, jimjimbo said:

Very highly suggest you request pictures of all surfaces of each speaker.  The photos shown are likely stock photos used for advertising and not the actual speakers.

Big changes coming to that situation very soon.  I've been about the only dealer I'm aware of that inspects them.  Going forward, everybody is supposed to start inspecting them, detailing any damage, including both serial numbers and part numbers, and clearly stating the 90 day warranty.  If there's a missing power cord on some Sixes or a sub or whatever, it has to specifically say that, for each item.  This should be interesting.  I'm already doing it but this is going to slow these other guys down, they're not going to like it one bit, they're used to listing ten B-stock speakers at a time and using stock photos and saying full factory warranty.  Huge changes coming with that scene.  I just don't know how fast they will be about policing it.  

• Like 1