Klipsch Newbie looking for suggestions on Chorus II mods

Roy Boy

While a long time audio guy, I just acquired my first Klipschs, a pair of Chorus IIs. I have been curious about high efficiency speakers and horns but did not want to spend huge $. My local dealer who has become very into the vintage audio movement played a pair of unmodified Forte II with a Sansui AU717 and it sounded great.

I had two amps available to drive the Chorus IIs, a pair of Tube Research Labs Samson monos (300 watt/ch solid state)

and a pair of Viva Aurora SET monos (845/211 tubes). In my short two days of listening I have been mightily impressed

and want to see about potential mods to improve the performance.

I have been looking at the various forums on Klipsch mods and found many suggestions. I want to take a methodical approach and only do on mod at a time so I can evaluate each change. I am interested in prioritizing the list in order

of highest improvement first. What I have found in the forums in no particular order is:

1) Swap out K-79 tweeter module with Crites titanium module

2) Swap out K-61 midrange module for Klipsch  titanium module

3) damp outside of mid horn with dynamat

4) damp woofer with doughnuts of F-11 Acoustical Felt (1/4 inch thick)

5) Add 2.5 ounces of mass via two large washers glued to back of 15 inch passive

6) damp spider of passive with dynamat

7)damp/reinforce spider of 15 inch woofer with dynamat or plumbers epoxy

😎 reduce cabinet vibrations with either bracing/straping or dynamat on walls of inside cabinet

9) Deploy ping pong balls/acoustical felt in mouth of mid horn and 30ppi foam in throat of horn

10) Replace crossover with Crites or ALK crossover.

11) Raise up speakers on stands.

I look forward to hearing from those who have the experience  of having  deployed these mods and your opinions. Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, Roy Boy said:

I have evaluated each of the below.  Spend more money and time on room treatments, furniture placement, etc.

1) Swap out K-79 tweeter module with Crites titanium module

In my opinion, not worthwhile

2) Swap out K-61 midrange module for Klipsch  titanium module

3) damp outside of mid horn with dynamat

Yes, however first cover with blue painters tape, then dynamat.

4) damp woofer with doughnuts of F-11 Acoustical Felt (1/4 inch thick)

5) Add 2.5 ounces of mass via two large washers glued to back of 15 inch passive

6) damp spider of passive with dynamat

7)damp/reinforce spider of 15 inch woofer with dynamat or plumbers epoxy

😎 reduce cabinet vibrations with either bracing/straping or dynamat on walls of inside cabinet

9) Deploy ping pong balls/acoustical felt in mouth of mid horn and 30ppi foam in throat of horn

10) Replace crossover with Crites or ALK crossover.

Change out caps with some good mid grade caps and be happy.  IMHO Sonicaps are too bright.

11) Raise up speakers on stands.

NOPE

• Like 3

The only thing they *might* need is new capacitors. 

DO NOT touch spiders, add weights, change diaphragms, modify cabinets, employ ping pong balls or any other idiotic modifications.  Wherever/whoever you got that tripe should be forever ignored. 

• Haha 1

A few years ago there was an ongoing thread about a large series of changes that were "required" to make the Chorus sound good. 

Unfortunately, some took that thread seriously.

To the OP: enjoy your speakers and just listen to them for a good while. Play with the geometry of the set up (distance, listening angle, toe-in, distance to walls and corners, and chair). Be systematic about this (it can be tedious and no drinking allowed). You will achieve remarkable improvements. After this and at your leisure, refresh the caps (don't go overboard on cost). You will be fine,

Good luck,

-Tom

I knew there were a lot of passionate inmates here in Kipschworld...Thanks for the insights. I do have a nice pair of dual 15 inch power subs (Seaton Submersive HP) that I will integrate using a DBX PA2 drive rack once I get a handle on optimizing the setup. 

20 hours ago, SWL said:

I meant ping pong balls.....whatever.

Whatever it takes LOL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I heard that golf balls worked great too, but they had to be Titleist, not some other cheap brand, and they had to be at least 100 compression.

• Like 1