Dual turntable

red1302

There might be a vintage Dual ( model # unknown) turntable in my future. It was in working order when it was boxed and put away.
I do not know how long it has been out of service. Does anyone have any experience with these turntables?
What should be done to service it before putting into service? I welcome any input provided.

I had and cherished a 1229 (or thereabouts) back in the '70s as a teen.  It was an idler drive.  About the only things I can think of as possibly needing attention would be age-hardened rubber (idler or belt) drive components and platter/drive bearing lubrication.  If it's an idler drive the idler may have some flatter spots where any static contact has been kept.  If the rubber is yet soft enough things should smooth themselves back out with use.  If it's belt drive you might do well to flip the belt inside-out.

• Like 1

I just restored my 1977  Dual 1249 full automatic belt drive, it needed a new steurenpemple , which is the rubber cap that lifts the tonearm, new strobe, and a new suppression capacitor. Anything you need is available at "fixmydual.com" or he will do a full rebuild for you. Guys name is Bill Neuman , great to work with.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information. the deck is a 1264 belt driven table . It was a gift from our family physician. I've downloaded both the owners and service manual. Belt is  supple. It has a Grado F3+ cartridge and stylus.
I' m going to try any hook it up to the system and see how it goes this week.😎

My family has had some duals for 40 years, very good products, the one I am using sounds and works great, did require a tune up at a shop to clean the internal mechanicals and lube the parts, alignment etc....

I would take it to a shop that is familiar with Duals and let us know what the cartridge is before making any decision to replace it.

Duals are lots of models, belt and direct, manual, semi and full auto

Model number  and pics ??

As a teen I had a 1229 and loved it. Over the years it needed repairs and before the internet started cranking I couldn’t find anywhere to get it repaired and must have tossed it- like an idiot. I had a lot of vinyl and some music that was not available anywhere else so I decided to search Ebay and get another 1229. Found a local vintage repair place that was not honest and wasted $$$ having them attempt to restore. Fortunately there was a guy in LA area that was a vintage repair guru with great yelp reviews so I got it to him and he made it like brand new for not much $. I found a shure v15 type 3 and ordered a highly rated stylus from Japan and had a new plinth made and this turntable sounds really great playing thru the phono stage of my ma252- besides sounding awesome anyone that comes to our house wants to know about vinyl and that turntable. 

687B57A5-2AC9-4392-B7D8-C539B31CCE30.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/8/2019 at 10:16 AM, Fido said:

As a teen I had a 1229 and loved it. Over the years it needed repairs and before the internet started cranking I couldn’t find anywhere to get it repaired and must have tossed it- like an idiot. I had a lot of vinyl and some music that was not available anywhere else so I decided to search Ebay and get another 1229. Found a local vintage repair place that was not honest and wasted $$$ having them attempt to restore. Fortunately there was a guy in LA area that was a vintage repair guru with great yelp reviews so I got it to him and he made it like brand new for not much $. I found a shure v15 type 3 and ordered a highly rated stylus from Japan and had a new plinth made and this turntable sounds really great playing thru the phono stage of my ma252- besides sounding awesome anyone that comes to our house wants to know about vinyl and that turntable. 

687B57A5-2AC9-4392-B7D8-C539B31CCE30.jpeg

Wow, that is beautiful. I, too, have a 1229 in a custom made plinth with the same cartridge, but mine has the factory smoked plastic dust cover. Your dust cover looks much nicer. Where did you get it?

16 hours ago, mcp said:

Wow, that is beautiful. I, too, have a 1229 in a custom made plinth with the same cartridge, but mine has the factory smoked plastic dust cover. Your dust cover looks much nicer. Where did you get it?

The artisan that built my custom Teac plinth ordered the beautiful dustcover for me - check him out on  Vintage Analog Restoration - I love my refurbished Dual 1229 -- Records sound great on it

Hi

I have a dual 1229 turntable from the 1970s. I bought it from a friend who had it in his attic for over 30 years. I looked up information online and cleaned and re-lubed all the mechanics. Everything is in good shape. It was stored in its original containers.  It is working great and is my daily driver for my vinyl. They are built like a tank, and I believe will be useful for a long time. I have a Stanton 68 triple E cartridge. It sounds great, K horns From 1977, long live vinyl and turntables!

12 hours ago, bruno80537 said:

Hi

I have a dual 1229 turntable from the 1970s. I bought it from a friend who had it in his attic for over 30 years. I looked up information online and cleaned and re-lubed all the mechanics. Everything is in good shape. It was stored in its original containers.  It is working great and is my daily driver for my vinyl. They are built like a tank, and I believe will be useful for a long time. I have a Stanton 68 triple E cartridge. It sounds great, K horns From 1977, long live vinyl and turntables!

I love the fact that its a fully automatic turntable and that idler slam plays all my classic rock and modern dance music like the artists are in my living room playing live! I have no idea why people would pay thousands of dollars on a fully manual turntable

• Like 1

I used to have a Dual turntable and amplifier as a student. Moved with me as I moved from town to town. Then, one day... I brought it to the dumpster, because the dual amplifier no longer worked (probably a blown fuse). I must have had a total blackout, I guess... What mistake that was... I bought a cheap, plastic JVC 'stereo system'. That was even a bigger mistake.

So, here is my 2 cents: once you have your Dual turntable, cherish it and every night, before  you go to bed, you give it a sweet little kiss and enjoy the music it produces!