World Series?

DizRotus

The umpiring has been rather uneven in this series. The game five ump had a variable strike zone. Different from pitch to pitch. Last nights ump was consistent: he gave 1 inch on the high side, two inches outside, but squeezed the pitchers low and inside. Not ideal, but consistent. The interference call at first was justified by the letter of the rule, but I didn't like it. Almost put Davey Martinez in the ICU. 

All that aside this is another great series. Not too sloppy, great pitching and clutch hitting. Too bad the Mets are not in it!

14 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

All that aside this is another great series.

Most games have seemed a little lop sided to me.  Good series in respect to it going 7 though.

In all honesty, if Houston weren't in it I wouldn't watch.  Everyone around here is caught up in it so I follow along.  Games are way too long and too slow.  I never watch any of the regular season games.

We had that same interference call on our baseball team. After a bunt, a right handed batter would have to make a real effort to even get in that running lane. Running in a straight line will result in you staying in the infield and therefore subject to that call.

Ok missed the controversy live last night, only saw replays and the talking heads blah,blah ,blah. What exactly was wrong with what transpired? I guess I don't know all the technical rules of beisbol. Meanwhile trying to explain to my foreinger wife for the 100th time what an inning is and why the other team still gets to bat.:)

The behind the plate  umpires for the most (entire series) part has been all over the place. Even though I think they need to keep it as a human in the future and not computer generated.

I didn't see any actual interference, seems he was back in the base path as he reached the bag so I would have given it a no call. The runner may of strayed off the white line but he seemed to stay off the grass.

47 minutes ago, babadono said:

What exactly was wrong with what transpired?

My very limited interpretation was that ultimately they felt that the runner interfered with the first baseman's ability to catch the ball being thrown to him.  The runner actually knocked the glove off of the fielder.

The really odd thin was that this particular scenario or play, by rule, is not a reviewable play.

I am a former amateur umpire, but certainly not on the level as these top professional umps, not even close.  Those guys working the World Series are the best-of-the-best, in the world.

My take:  By rule the fielder has an unalienable right, granted by God, to field, throw, and catch the ball.  The batter/runner MUST give way or he's out .  To that end the batter/runner is somewhat protected if he runs to first and stays in the running lane which is OUTSIDE the field of play.  The base is 100% in fair territory.  If he runs INSIDE the base line and interferes with the ability of the fielder at first to catch the ball, that by rule is interference.  Ball is dead at that point, batter/runner is OUT, all baserunners return to their base at the base last legally occupied at the time of pitch.

Reviewable:  I have no idea, that is purely a pro rule.

My Question:  Who made the call?  Umps all have specific responsibilities and they DO NOT overrule the other ump's call.  They can talk with each other but only the ump making the call can overturn his call on the field (except for replay).  The home plate ump has the call up to first base, the first base ump has the call from the base and beyond.  I never heard who made the call, but it should have been the call of the home plate ump.