deqx jubilee

rosey

I had not seen this product from DEQX before so I did a quick read. It looks interesting. It has a couple of huge advantages. It will take a digital input (either S/PDIF or AES/EBU) and it has 6 outputs (can be transformer coupled with Jensen transformers). Potentially, this could be a very quiet and transparent unit (if used correctly). Although I did not see the actual spec, it looks like it is probably using FIR filters that can simultaneously control the amplitude and phase spectra (this is my guess since I did see or notice  the specific specification). 

However, it is expensive at $4k. (DEQX is a reputable product in general)

If you have one laying around, then by all means give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I had not seen this product from DEQX before so I did a quick read. It looks interesting. It has a couple of huge advantages. It will take a digital input (either S/PDIF or AES/EBU) and it has 6 outputs (can be transformer coupled with Jensen transformers). Potentially, this could be a very quiet and transparent unit (if used correctly). Although I did not see the actual spec, it looks like it is probably using FIR filters that can simultaneously control the amplitude and phase spectra (this is my guess since I did see or notice  the specific specification). 

However, it is expensive at $4k. (DEQX is a reputable product in general)

If you have one laying around, then by all means give it a try and let us know how it works out.

Good luck,

-Tom

I wish I had a DEQX just laying aound!!

• Haha 1

Here are the specifications:

Specifications

Analog inputs and outputs
  Balanced Unbalanced
Full scale input level 17 dBu / 5.5 Vrms 9.3 dBu / 2.25 Vrms*1
Input impedance 50 kΩ 50 kΩ
Full scale output level 17.4 dBu / 5.7 Vrms*1 10.8 dBu / 2.7 Vrms*1
Output impedance 600 Ω 75 Ω
Total harmonic distortion 0.0008% 0.0008%
*1. Factory default setting. Jumper-settable, see User Manual for full details.

Digital audio inputs

TOSLINK (optical) 24-bit, 44.1 to 96 kHz

S/PDIF (BNC) 24-bit, 44.1 to 192 kHz, 75Ω S/PDIF (RCA) 24-bit, 44.1 to 192 kHz

AES/EBU (XLR) 24-bit, 44.1 to 192 kHz, 110Ω

USB Audio Asynchronous USB Audio Class 2, 24-bit, 44.1 to 192 kHz

Digital audio outputs
Digital Through 24-bit, 96 kHz S/PDIF on 75Ω BNC connector. Same as selected input, with no filtering or gain applied. Used for master-slave confgurations.
Digital Low 24-bit, 96 kHz S/PDIF on 75Ω BNC connector. Follows analog "Low" speaker output (with filtering and gain).
Digital Mid 24-bit, 96 kHz S/PDIF on 75Ω BNC connector. Follows analog "Mid" speaker output (with filtering and gain).
Digital High 24-bit, 96 kHz S/PDIF on 75Ω BNC connector. Follows analog "High" speaker output (with filtering and gain).

Audio processing including HD-Active™

Crossover slope 48 to 300 dB/octave (linear phase) 6 to 96 dB/octave (Linkwitz-Riley and Butterworth)

Crossover frequency 22 to 18,340 Hz

Amplitude correction Better than 0.2 dB, typical (depends on measurement accuracy)

Group delay correction 0.5 ms, typical (depends on measurement accuracy)

Subwoofer crossover From 6 Hz, 24 to 120 dB/octave*2

Processing latency Typically 15 ms depending on filters, minimum 2.5 ms

Room EQ Seven or ten bands, 1 Hz to 48 kHz, −300 to +40 dB, Q 0.01 to 17

Preference EQ Three bands, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, gain to +/−9 dB, Q 0.5 to 10

DSP resolution > 140 dB

*2. Maximum available slope subject to filter delay limits.

Piece of cake, I'd say.  Looks like you've got FIR filtering to smooth out the phase as well as SPL response, which will make a huge difference in my experience (due to the full-range directivity of the Jubilee).   I've not seen one of these loudspeaker processors or fooled around with one, but if you need support dialing it in, let me know.

I have to say that the above unit makes a whole lot more sense for Jubilees than very expensive amplifiers and preamps (i.e., those costing more than ~$2k USD in new condition), etc.

Chris

7 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I have to say that the above unit makes a whole lot more sense for Jubilees than very expensive amplifiers and preamps (i.e., those costing more than ~$2k USD in new condition), etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: People don't even blink at the thought of a $2000 preamp, and then they try to cheap-out on a $99 active crossover whose job is much harder. It makes no sense to me.

• Like 6

By the way, welcome to the forum, rosey(!).

And congrats on the new Jubs.  I think you're going to be impressed...

Chris

thankyou all for the warm welcome! chris, I've followed many of your threads and am interested in lowering the 402. not sure if the grand hf tweeter will be overkill, unnessisary complexity, or the bomb with the deqx. any ideas how to position the hf? 

I think that the HF horn (a K-510 in the past) is about as close to the K-402 as it can get with the 3-way Jub (KPT-Jubilee/535). The trick is to get the HF driver/horn time aligned with the midrange as closely as possible--within 90 degrees of phase at the center crossover frequency. I've found that using lower order crossover filters (first order or "zeroth" order PEQs) will flatten the phase the most that can be achieved--leading to the subjective listening experience that I've described in the "Subconscious Auditory Effects..." thread. 

Lowering the K-402 will help to couple the K-1133 output with the bass bin, which enables further flattening of the phase between the two ways.  In my experience, flattening the phase in the midrange and midbass bands (below 800 Hz) seems to have a disproportionate effect on the subjective quality of sound. 

Chris

just a short background why I have a deqx hiding around here. this line array was called omega grand.

designed by Al Wooley of Raw Acoustics.

I built them from Al's kit design. cnc front baffle,drivers, and a schematic. 400 lbs. ea.they were placed in a dedicated ht audio room designed by rives audio .23 × 31' if memory serves, built that room also. still have the prints somewhere around here. very satisfying system using the deqx, butler, crown, 3 way active. then 2008 took me out! old news. I'm in a much better place of mind👍 currently listening to khorns, ,full volti. p 20 border patrol, first sound ,esoteric, innuos. planning on trying the jubes as a 2 way initially, lowering the 402 ala chris a! deqx with the border patrol p 20 monos/ 300b on the 402 and crown k2 on the base . audio gods willing the jubilee will arrive in a week or so, then let the games begin!image.jpg.dfad7e8beec563c0d281b071fa686a83.jpg 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

well, my 535b's arrived today in better condition than I had hoped. these are 2nd hand units.

opened up the jubilees, and see production dates of Aug 16 on the drivers. I've got a few cosmetic ideas that I'm going to try before the load up to the 2nd floor. atleast they're here in 1 piece! phase 2 wont take too long, then deqx cal. keep you posted, rosey

I know another fella planning on jubes soon with a DEQX.  That line of processors/peamps have been around awhile.  They were discussed back in the day when the active jube for the consumer came out.

Makes sense.  Signal stays in digital domain from the source.  All delays and EQs and XOs and such done while in that domain.  Then off the the amps.

Active processor and preamp into one.

Hi all, I'll apologize to all again for not only being a newby to the forum, but also to horn and klipsch nomenclature.  I think I've seen older conversations about using the k 69a driver in a jubilee base/402 horn 2 way application.  My question is does the k69a driver support a 2 way jubilee application? It's what I've got from the 535d 3way and just trying to understand if it's a starting point or not. Thx much, rosey