deqx jubilee

rosey

Helo again  Chris ! Yes, I'm asking for your support in my deqx 535b 3 way? 2 way conversion, using the deqx. I intend to show the community the efforts in most any format I can figure out and will welcome everyone's ideas.  Truth is best and hope this takes all closer👍

Hy there.

I will try to answer your question about K69A driver, although I do not have direct and personal experience with it.

It should support 2-way operation as you mentioned, and it should be enough to serve as a starting point doing that.

I have recently been in a position to almost buy a second hand K-402 horn with that driver but did not manage to get them.

If you find that K69A does not do it for you, then upgrade to a better driver later.

12 hours ago, rosey said:

Hi all, I'll apologize to all again for not only being a newby to the forum, but also to horn and klipsch nomenclature.  I think I've seen older conversations about using the k 69a driver in a jubilee base/402 horn 2 way application.  My question is does the k69a driver support a 2 way jubilee application? It's what I've got from the 535d 3way and just trying to understand if it's a starting point or not. Thx much, rosey

Hi Rosey,

The answer to your question is "yes".

In stock form, the K69 driver was the tweeter driver attached to the tweeter horn, K510.  The K402 horn had the  K1133 driver attached to it.  What Roy did was remove the midrange DRIVER and the tweeter DRIVER.  He moved the TWEETER driver (K69) down to the MIDRANGE (K402) horn.

So for residential use, the K402 was used as the top horn and it had the K69 attached to it.  If someone had a stock 3-way Jubilee and converted it to this residential format, they they would have the K510 horn lens and the K1133 midrange driver laying around (unused) after all the dust settled.

11 hours ago, rosey said:

Helo again  Chris ! Yes, I'm asking for your support in my deqx 535b 3 way?

Yes--I have replied via PM.  Sorry for the delay.

Chris

Thanks for the confirmation coytee. Glad I'm not suffering CRS too bad. Would you say going 2way 402/k69a jubilee would be preferable to the full 535b 3way? And remember the deqx I'll be using for either configuration.  Just a starting point opinion, as I'll be going back to school so to speak with the deqx with some factory support for the initial efforts. The again

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, well as most of my projects go, this one is going slower than I'd like.  my question to the 402 users out there at this point is, which would you think would be superior. jubilee 402 2 way or 3way? 3 way would only consider the bms4592 be coax. 2 way are several good 500-20khz + - options. 2 way would free up some nice rack space, chassis and remote p/s. 2 or 3 way would likely be my border patrol 300b valves on mid/highs, 8 watts tweeters, 20 watts mids, or 20 watts on the coax, and k2s on the jubs. also have a crown 4002 xti for future sub if HT use gets in the mix. my musical tastes lean towards acoustic, singer song writer, blues, acoustic jazz, classical, occationally loud rock. ld appreciate your opinions. rosey

Edited by rosey
more details

On 11/21/2019 at 8:40 PM, rosey said:

Thanks for the confirmation coytee. Glad I'm not suffering CRS too bad. Would you say going 2way 402/k69a jubilee would be preferable to the full 535b 3way? And remember the deqx I'll be using for either configuration.  Just a starting point opinion, as I'll be going back to school so to speak with the deqx with some factory support for the initial efforts. The again

I heard them both about 12 1/2 years ago. I preferred the 3-way over the 2-way. Better midrange detail, lower distortion.

13 hours ago, rosey said:

jubilee 402 2 way or 3way?

PWK's goal was to take his vaunted Klipschorn back to a 2-way speaker....and we have the Jubilee.

Some prefer the 2-way version, some prefer the 3-way version...(although they're all either whack-a-doo or amateur photographers....  (both rule Claude out! :emotion-14:, so he's safe))

Anyway, as for output requirements for residential use, the 2-way (if that is your cup of tea) is WELL more than enough to tuck your tail and run you out of the room if you get careless with the volume.

So if the 2-way can run you out of the room, the 3-way could perhaps run you out of the entire house (again, if you got stupid with the volume)  BOTH will play as quiet as a whisper if asked....

So I'd imagine in the end, it's a bit up to you and your preferences.

When I compared the 3-way Khorn to the 2-way Jubilee, it was hands down, no contest.  The Jubilee was much more coherent and "one voice".

Not being too familiar with the 3-way version, I wonder how the extra crossover affects the intelligibility that I noticed by dropping it with the Khorn?

If I'm you and you have all requisite parts, I say go ahead & set one up as 3-way on one side.....set the other up as 2-way on the other side and do some (mono) side by side comparisons to see what you think.

I have always preferred the 3-way Jub over the 2-way.  But honestly since the recent trip to Roy's lab now I can't say why.  The 2-way Jub blew me away.  This was the 3rd time I heard Jubs in that room in Hope.  Clearly, Roy has evolved the presentation of the Jubs.  If I could get THAT sound in my house it would be the end-all for me.  I don't think 2 or 3 way has as much to do about it anymore.

We were supposed to be there to hear the new Heritage models and I walked out wondering why my expensive setup doesn't match what I heard when he played the Jubs.

I have TAD 4002s on my 402s, and 691s on my 510s.  I have a Xilica processor.  Mcintosh preamp/amps.

Roy only had a pair of 691s on his new version 402s, and it appeared he still had the same EV DX-38 processor and same Jub cabinets I saw in there 10 years ago.  He had a new QSC Pro Theater amp.  The drivers, amp, and newest version of 402 horn are probably all that changed in 10 years..........besides the processor settings and maybe wires.

I would just get the standard 2-way now......which gives you those exact speakers........and go to the next education session, listen.........talk to Roy..........and especially look closely at that room.

I know we all like to tinker and find our own sound.  But I don't think I could do any better than that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 12/6/2019 at 3:25 PM, mark1101 said:

I have always preferred the 3-way Jub over the 2-way.  But honestly since the recent trip to Roy's lab now I can't say why.  The 2-way Jub blew me away.  This was the 3rd time I heard Jubs in that room in Hope.  Clearly, Roy has evolved the presentation of the Jubs.  If I could get THAT sound in my house it would be the end-all for me.  I don't think 2 or 3 way has as much to do about it anymore.

We were supposed to be there to hear the new Heritage models and I walked out wondering why my expensive setup doesn't match what I heard when he played the Jubs.

I have TAD 4002s on my 402s, and 691s on my 510s.  I have a Xilica processor.  Mcintosh preamp/amps.

Roy only had a pair of 691s on his new version 402s, and it appeared he still had the same EV DX-38 processor and same Jub cabinets I saw in there 10 years ago.  He had a new QSC Pro Theater amp.  The drivers, amp, and newest version of 402 horn are probably all that changed in 10 years..........besides the processor settings and maybe wires.

I would just get the standard 2-way now......which gives you those exact speakers........and go to the next education session, listen.........talk to Roy..........and especially look closely at that room.

I know we all like to tinker and find our own sound.  But I don't think I could do any better than that.

That room is treated now, right?

• Like 1

It appeared to be same exact room treatments I saw in there 10 years ago.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  Check out the pics in the museum threads and find the old pics from 2007-2009 Jub fests.  It is live sounding room compared to what I have.  Basically, that tilted ceiling is what I am missing.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:25 PM, mark1101 said:

I'm right there with you. What the hell did Roy do to that setup? I've been there as often as I can be there in Hope. I've heard jubs there regularly but this last time was a major step up. I was gobsmacked. How did he get the k69 to sound like that? Now I need another pair of jubs but the second pair with k402s. If I could get them to sound like that............. Done.................

I could easily guess what Roy did because I've experienced something just as dramatic in my listening room (if not more)...but my experiences don't seem to count. :wink:

Chris

• Like 1

You can read about it right here: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/182419-subconscious-auditory-effects-of-quasi-linear-phase-loudspeakers/&do=findComment&comment=2388946

Remember that Jubilees are truly full-range-directivity loudspeakers, and almost everyone is not paying attention to that.  It's game-changing performance if taken advantage of.  The audibility of the things discussed in the link above--particularly performance below 800 Hz--is much greater than anyone had been writing about.  It seems as if the rest of the audio world is oblivious to it (or they don't want it to be true).  You can easily get audio mixing/mastering control room performance out of them without having anywhere near the degree of room treatments typically used in those rooms...because the Jubs largely do it for you via their inherent directivity.  The other significant horn design issues of the past have been corrected with the Jubilee, so the focus can now be on performance that neither has been realized nor often heard except perhaps in extremely well-treated rooms--and even those control rooms can't recreate what the Jubs are doing in rooms with ~0.4 s reverberation times (versus 0.1 s). 

Chris

• Like 2