Four Letter Clown Car or Not?

Wolfbane

51 minutes ago, NADman said:

FWIW- For the 1970 model year the 396 was bored 0.03 in (0.76 mm), resulting in a 402 cu in (6.6 L) engine. Despite this, the motor was still badged as a 396.

My recollection: That was by corporate edict at GM. No engines beyond 400 Cubic inches for muscle cars. The big cubic inch engines were reserved for full size cars (exception Corvette) until John Delorean managed to sneak some larger engines out in smaller vehicles. Some COPO (Custom Orders were put through with requested larger engines on the QT too).

Wb

2 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

My recollection: That was by corporate edict at GM. No engines beyond 400 Cubic inches for muscle cars. The big cubic inch engines were reserved for full size cars (exception Corvette) until John Delorean managed to sneak some larger engines out in smaller vehicles. Some COPO (Custom Orders were put through with requested larger engines on the QT too).

Wb

That was just silly any way you put it as anybody with reasonable automotive skills knows all it takes is a camshaft swap and sometimes intake and exhaust flow work to turn a 350 cubic inch engine into a fire breathing monster capable of outperforming even the largest cubic inch motors of the time, cubic inches make a difference of course but its not everything involved in making horsepower or torque.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jason str said:

That was just silly any way you put it as anybody with reasonable automotive skills knows all it takes is a camshaft swap and sometimes intake and exhaust flow work to turn a 350 cubic inch engine into a fire breathing monster capable of outperforming even the largest cubic inch motors of the time, cubic inches make a difference of course but its not everything involved in making horsepower or torque.

Most buyers wanted a valid warranty for the twelve months GM offered at the time. Modification or racing invalidated it if your dealer or GM found out. Back in the day, there was very little substitute for cubic inches. If you wanted to make torque and horsepower at low RPM's and were buying GM, you wanted a GM 455 (Bunky Knutson was right). I waited until the warranty was over when I bought my Trans Am and then modified the heck out of it to go Bracket Racing as we did not have a road course. Today you can just go down to the dealer and pick out a wickedly quick and fast car not requiring much if any mods but you pay through the nose for it. It will also likely end up looking like a cartoon car which is back to the subject of the original thread. 🚘

Wb

14 minutes ago, jason str said:

Something is not right with that GT 500, it should be much quicker.

My 72 Pontiac Le Mans with a 350 2BBL ran similar times, all stock with the exception of aftermarket headers and dual exhaust.

I believe they were above sea level without adjusting for it in their times.

Did you have to strap a rocket on it’s roof to do that or how was it modified?🚀

Wb

31 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

I believe they were above sea level without adjusting for it in their times.

Did you have to strap a rocket on it’s roof to do that or how was it modified?🚀

Wb

100% stock, i spent every weekend at the track until i had kids.

The Mustang if running right should be in the high 13's or low 14's.

<Have a look around>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunburnwilly said:

Is this the new car thread ?

meanwhile 

https://nypost.com/2019/11/10/crashed-porsche-ends-up-lodged-in-second-floor-of-building/

2nd pic tells the story

I suspect “speed was a factor” is an understatement. Bad or poorly trained non-professional drivers and quick or fast cars make for a toxic mix. The driver and passenger of the person driving fortunately didn’t kill or injure someone else too. Do they do post fatality blood testing there?

Wb

• 2 weeks later...