California Bound...NOT! Now it's Beltsville, MD

Mallette

• 4 weeks later...

Well, boots on the ground on the 6th of January. Any Forum members in the Sacramento/Yuba City or close around there? Friendly face and Klipsch would be great. Only taking an SUV load out there so all I'll have is my AudioEngine self-powered speakers to start. Will get a Klipsch soundbar once there when I purchase a TV. 

Dave

On 10/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, Mallette said:

Well, looks like Dave is off to California for a few years. I'll be managing development of training materials and simulators for Global Hawk and other recon drones at Beale AFB. Decided to do this because I need the money to get my building here renovated both as a residence and as a Listening and Performance Center. Every reason to believe the note will be paid by renting out the hall for recitals and other music performances. 
Hate to leave home, but Feds are some of the few who actually practice what they preach about discrimination. Besides, I love my work and the Federal benefits are superb. Plus, as the Chinese say, the job is an "iron rice bowl." Don't have a start date yet as they are working on the background investigation, all 37(!) pages of it. 
Damn long way out there, but I hope to get a Tesla S3 while there to assure my ability to get around in the future, as well as being able to let it do the driving when I drive home. 

Dave

capture.jpg

Congrat's and good luck Dave.......  and beeeee careful with the Muskmobile.

11 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

and beeeee careful with the Muskmobile.

As it's already safer than the best 10 drivers combined in the country, basically I'll just not interfere as, while my record is pretty pristine, I am not of its class. 

Dave

2 hours ago, Kalifornian said:

Im in the Rocklin area. very close is you need some klipsch time or whatno

Outstanding, and thanks. Looks like apartment there are about 50% higher than Yuba City...but the crime rate in Yuba may be the reason as it's pretty high. I hope to get something booked before I leave on January 2 for arrival on the 4th. Welcome any thoughts. 

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • Mallette changed the title to California Bound...NOT! Now it's Beltsville, MD
5 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Here's one for the books...got an 18k raise without ever showing up for work. Now, it's the FDA in Beltsville, MD. Cold, yes, but I can afford to stay warm and it's only half as far as the CA job so I can come home a lot more often. 

Dave

That's fantastic Dave.  So now, when do you have to be in MD?

1 minute ago, DizRotus said:

What if the FDA in Beltsville puts the job on hold?  

Won't cancel Beale until I have a firm offer. However, they seem very anxious to get me on board as I just interviewed last week, heard from my boss this morning, his boss about an hour later, and HR shortly thereafter. Pretty sure it is solid...but won't cut the ropes on my main parachute until I am sure the reserve is good.

Dave

5 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Won't cancel Beale until I have a firm offer. However, they seem very anxious to get me on board as I just interviewed last week, heard from my boss this morning, his boss about an hour later, and HR shortly thereafter. Pretty sure it is solid...but won't cut the ropes on my main parachute until I am sure the reserve is good.

Dave

It was a joke Dave.  

Congratulations.  You’re much better off in Beltsville.  It’s  been  years since there’s been an earthquake, mudslide, or wildfire in Beltsville.  At least it’s not Cockeysville.

• Moderators
On 12/23/2019 at 3:31 PM, Mallette said:

Yes, not looking forward to the cold...but at these rates I can afford to stay warm. Heck, might lookup @thebes. Not sure who else is around there where I might get a Klipsch fix. 

Dave

@garymd and @LarryC Dr. C is in Bethesda and I am sure would love a visit.

Not to mention rplace and your very own larger-than-life (and getting larger every year) Thebes.

I love the FDA. As I understand how they work, they  give you lots of drugs then stuff you full of food. I want a job there. I could be in charge of the Bureau of Obfuscation.  My goal would be to conduct some bureaucratic empire building. The first order of business would be to  strip the Department of Justice of the Bureau of Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and bring it under the control of the FDA.  Aside from the random explosion and stray round going by, this would give the FDA control over three of the major vices. Greed of course has been farmed out to the private sector so we can't get our hands on that.  Of course, the White House and Congress has appropriated theft. Sex is  scattered across too many agencies to bring  in house, but I'm willing to engage in copious amounts of sloth to help round out things.  (although I really regard sloth as a virtue and not a vice).

So when can you get me an interview?  I should be an easy hire since I know things about you your colleagues might not want to know.  Oh bribery, yet another vice to consider. Rats, I forgot, The White House has a lock on that one.

• Like 1