Is this the worst candy ever?

BigStewMan

• Moderators
On 10/30/2019 at 4:06 PM, BigStewMan said:

Candy Corn.   For the life of me, i can’t figure out why anyone would consume it.  I don’t eat candy (other than an occasional Chick-O-Stick) but when i wore a younger man’s shoes and ate candy regularly, i didn’t like candy corn then either. I was a Mounds, Junior Mints, or Three Musketeers guy.

I'm in that camp, or I was until someone posted on he about a year ao try half peanuts and half candy corn, chew in mouth together. It was incredible, a completley different taste. 

Try it, you'll like it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Black licorice is my favorite, from all over the world.

If you are talking the real deal made from Glycyrrhizinic acid (i.e.the real McCoy); mine too. Love the damn Dutch made stuff, it's addictive.

Just got to be very careful of the amount of daily consumption. It can cause your Potassium level to plummet and blood pressure to sky-rocket.

Trust me that is not good. 

Wb

• Like 2

When my OE filter quit working, found out licorice is medicine. Out of a health magazine on a plane. Eat a big handful of real licorice and it will chase the bile out of you within the day. Gross I know, but since they took out my gall bladder it is still helpful to me at times.

• Like 1

When my OE filter quit working, found out licorice is medicine. Out of a health magazine on a plane. Eat a big handful of real licorice and it will chase the bile out of you within the day. Gross I know, but since they took out my gall bladder it is still helpful to me at times.
https://blogs.webmd.com/from-our-archives/20111031/black-licorice-dangerous-candy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

Love the damn Dutch made stuf

completely different than the black licorice that we get in the stores here.  had a co-worker that lived in denmark for a while and went back to visit his inlaws there ... brought some back and he warned me ahead of time that it wasn’t going to taste like the  black licorice that we get at the grocery store in California. He was right --- no comparison.

• Like 1

Just now, oldtimer said:

An actual 1/8th pound of pure licorice is a lot by a wide margin.  

i’m sure some eat that much.  I just read something recently about this guy in his 20s that had a heart attack.  He said he drank eight to 10 energy drinks a day. 

1 hour ago, SWL said:

That big handful, that I talked about is a one time thing. And after my new filter got installed and I had to do it again?? The fart-fan in the bathroom wasn't enough! My bilirubin levels were good again at the next weekly (then) labs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Too much will give you the runs. 

Our friend the LA Beast knows all about that. Warning label on this bag says that it can have a laxative effect and if you’ve never eaten them before they advise only consuming 1/4 of a serving or less.  LA Beast decides he’ll eat the entire 5 pound bag. Spoiler alert:  he suffered severe gastric distress. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 4.34.55 PM.png

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

completely different than the black licorice that we get in the stores here.  had a co-worker that lived in denmark for a while and went back to visit his inlaws there ... brought some back and he warned me ahead of time that it wasn’t going to taste like the  black licorice that we get at the grocery store in California. He was right --- no comparison.

The Dutch are well known for black licorice, Gustaf for one, and they come with different levels of salt taste.

2 hours ago, SWL said:

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Ridiculously alarmist.  Alcohol is much worse for you.  A little goes a long way, the candy they studied is probably worse for you because of the sugar content more than anything else.

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i thought Internet = truth.  Why did AlGore burden us with this internet thing?

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Too much will give you the runs.  That's the only adverse side effect I have ever experienced from it and I haven't over-indulged in a long time.  That's probably for the best since I am over 40.

I don’t think he’s overstating the risk at all.

I love the real deal black licorice (i.e. like the Dutch make, which can be sweet or salty or even both as licorice is naturally very sweet -  not  the pretend black licorice like Twizzlers). Consumed far too much of it over a few weeks a couple of years back and had to go on first IV K, then 198 mg of Potassium Citrate orally per day to counter act it. No running to the can as a timely warning either. Now, when I get some of the good stuff I restrict consumption to a single small piece a day. Still have to take the oral K supplement daily though.

Sometimes too much of of a good thing really can be a bad thing!

Wb

• Like 2

The worst candy I ever tasted was a hybrid, Gummi Worms soaked in vodka. Jello shots I am OK with, but Gummi Worms have to be chewed, and it was like eating fishing lures.

Reminded me of the  time when some Italian friends gave my parents some candy from the old country. I was about 5 and of course I helped myself. A few minutes later I was heaven' up. My parents realized these were liquor-filled. Liquor-filled candy wasn't legal in the US until much later so no one suspected they might be filled with booze.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

I don’t think he’s overstating the risk at all.

I love the real deal black licorice (i.e. like the Dutch make, which can be sweet or salty or even both as licorice is naturally very sweet -  not  the pretend black licorice like Twizzlers). Consumed far too much of it over a few weeks a couple of years back and had to go on first IV K, then 198 mg of Potassium Citrate orally per day to counter act it. No running to the can as a timely warning either. Now, when I get some of the good stuff I restrict consumption to a single small piece a day. Still have to take the oral K supplement daily though.

Sometimes too much of of a good thing really can be a bad thing!

Wb

It was never a problem for me but my diet might be part of the reason.  I love most all of these:

https://www.webmd.com/diet/foods-rich-in-potassium#1