Is this the worst candy ever?

BigStewMan

when my sister worked in an ER, they played a joke on the cardiologist on call. some guy comes into the ER and they page the cardiologist. he arrives in the ER, goes in to exam the guy and comes out, quite upset and says, “He has a banana stuck up his butt.”  ER staff says “bananas are high in potassium and too much potassium is bad for your heart, so we thought this could turn into a cardiology issue."

She also told of this mean doctor that was rather short.  He went on a rant one day and my sister held her hand a few inches above his head and said, “You must be at least this tall to work in the ER."

She and I are the only ones left in the family with a healthy sense of humor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

It was never a problem for me but my diet might be part of the reason.  I love most all of these:

https://www.webmd.com/diet/foods-rich-in-potassium#1

You can be eating more bananas daily than Magilla Gorilla, and a whole lot of all the other high K foods (baked potatoes, etc.) and still have a problem if you really over indulge on this stuff. I had about eight of the ten, or so, signs of Potassium Deficiency before I finally clued in. Took my BP (became high, in place of optimal) and had the blood work done and figured it out with my physician quickly.

You are probably not over eating black licorice.

I had been eating a few ozs of it per day for a couple of weeks in the desert heat here and thought it was the fact that I was not used to 80 to 100 degree F heat that had caused most of the symptoms.

Wb

Well, for example, the closest thing to the Italian extra forte pellets are a French one called Cachou, La Jaunie.  They come in a disk tin and the whole thing is 6 grams and there's no way I'm eating the whole thing in a day.  6 grams is what, a little less than 1/5th of an ounce?  2 ounces of those would be incredible overkill.

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I just had some.  Ach!  Blood pressure rising, feeling lack of potassium, almost...at...death's...door...argggghhh.  But it tastes so good, I regret nothing...………………..

* should 911 be called? 
“Yes, I need to report a Cachou, La Jauniie overdose” —🚑

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

when my sister worked in an ER, they played a joke on the cardiologist on call. some guy comes into the ER and they page the cardiologist. he arrives in the ER, goes in to exam the guy and comes out, quite upset and says, “He has a banana stuck up his butt.”  ER staff says “bananas are high in potassium and too much potassium is bad for your heart, so we thought this could turn into a cardiology issue."

She also told of this mean doctor that was rather short.  He went on a rant one day and my sister held her hand a few inches above his head and said, “You must be at least this tall to work in the ER."

She and I are the only ones left in the family with a healthy sense of humor. 

It usually the Urologist’s they love to annoy in the ER and non-urology wards. Other than that ‘all things in moderation’. 🏥

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I just had some.  Ach!  Blood pressure rising, feeling lack of potassium, almost...at...death's...door...argggghhh.  But it tastes so good, I regret nothing...………………..

I’ll sent you a five lb bag of the good stuff (Dutch Or German licorice) in exchange for a few of your hand writing samples. Only requirement is that you have to consume it all in five contiguous days, or less. Also, you’ve got to wait until  I have you heavily insured with me as sole beneficiary. 

Double indemnity if you have the big one. I of course, will pay the cost of shipping too.😉

Wb

• Like 2

On 11/3/2019 at 10:01 PM, Wolfbane said:

It usually the Urologist’s they love to annoy in the ER and non-urology wards. Other than that ‘all things in moderation’. 🏥

I’ll sent you a five lb bag of the good stuff (Dutch Or German licorice) in exchange for a few of your hand writing samples. Only requirement is that you have to consume it all in five contiguous days, or less. Also, you’ve got to wait until  I have you heavily insured with me as sole beneficiary. 

Double indemnity if you have the big one. I of course, will pay the cost of shipping too.😉

Wb

I could always get the Dutch stuff at World Market.  The best of the completely pure deal is still Italian.  Those amounts per day are off the charts, even as a kid I wouldn't eat a pound each for five days---maybe a pound in a day every now and then though.

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

yes, the circus peanuts are another invention that should never have happened.  Are they worse the Peeps? 

Of course.  Peeps are awesome.  Last year they sold pancake with maple syrup peeps and they were better than pancakes with maple syrup.  I never was much into cake...

On 11/5/2019 at 12:15 PM, oldtimer said:

I could always get the Dutch stuff at World Market.  The best of the completely pure deal is still Italian.  Those amounts per day are off the charts, even as a kid I wouldn't eat a pound each for five days---maybe a pound in a day every now and then though.

I buy mine at a local Japanese store in Scottsdale that carries everything the Dutch consume in candy from their colony in Indonesia days prior to and just after WWII. Then I eat no more than a single piece of the real black licorice a day. Salty or sweet versions make no difference to me.

21 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Well my dad is half French...

Small world. My late father was half Swiss/French. Dad lost his ability to speak in French - which was the language they spoke at home full time. If his parents wanted to discuss something in front of them they just spoke in another Continental language. I resolved the French issue by ensuring my daughters went through 13 years of primary school in French immersion. Can you speak the language?

Wb

1 hour ago, Wolfbane said:

f his parents wanted to discuss something in front of them they just spoke in another Continental language.

i miss hearing another language around the house.  For me it was Portuguese; but that generation has passed away and those of us that remain only spoke English (we knew enough Portuguese to know what was for dinner and if we were in trouble).  My Mom and Dad both died when i was eight; so i lived with other relatives; but my Grandparents and Aunts & Uncles spoke Portuguese amongst each other. 

• Like 1