Is this the worst candy ever?

BigStewMan

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

I put fennel in my spaghetti sauce.  Simulated Italian sausage sauce. 

another taste you love or hate

Clove

Yup! Fennel is one of the key spices used in Italian sausage. If you wish to add more of this spice do this. Get fennel seeds and heat them dry in a frying pan..... do not burn them. Put the heated seeds in a mortar and pestle rig and grind them to a rough powder. Add this to the Italian sausage (or whatever) to suit your tastes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I do like anise, well in italian sausage anyway, don't remember it in anything else, for me Cilantro is ok if it is not overused.

We do not get any kids knocking for halloween, not one in over 20 years, it's way to far between houses. Since were not prepared (no candy) we now turn off the front lights so it's just dark. Don't know what else to do I don't know any tricks.

Like mentioned, if it's Italian sausage it is probably fennel seeds.  If you like the taste pick up some fresh at the store, cut the bulb lengthwise in slices, and saute or grill it.  Drizzle with a little olive oil, served hot or room temp it's an Italian classic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WillyBob said:

I'm good with licorice. The red stuff is not licorice to me, though.  I saw an Aussie brand that did have licorice in the red.

how about saladitos? They're an acquired taste. In 50 years, I haven't.  I about tossed the first time I popped on in my mouth. Smarter now.

there are some interesting items that are sold as "seeds" in HI.  Oldtimer could elaborate better than me [I?}.

Colloquially known as "crack seed" which encompasses all sorts of dried and cured fruit, sometimes with the seed in, sometimes seedless such as mango.  It's got it all with sweet sour salty goodness.  My favorite form is called licorice plum, which is the cured plum including the pit and rolled in flakes of licorice root.  Li Hing is a favorite and easy to find in all kinds of varieties.  Licorice plums are more rare.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Like mentioned, if it's Italian sausage it is probably fennel seeds.  If you like the taste pick up some fresh at the store, cut the bulb lengthwise in slices, and saute or grill it.  Drizzle with a little olive oil, served hot or room temp it's an Italian classic.

Could be fennel, not sure, just thought it was anise. I love sausage just like you described, almost any kind of sausage.

My wife says I am trying to kill myself, I cook hot sausage like you said and then put it on top of pasta, including the liquid from the pan. Not good for me for sure but it sure is good tasting.

hi, I live in France close to the Mediterranean in Provence, here we have a lot of fruits: apricots, peaches, melon, cherries, plums, figs, almonds ... so there is traditional confectionery with these fruits.

For example the Calisson d'Aix (Aix-en-Provence: you know the landscapes thanks to the painter Paul Cézanne) made with Melon and crushed almonds, these treats are ancestral:

666a.jpg

v83o.jpg

h69z.jpg

There are also candied fruits:

p8ss.jpg

the Berlingot of Carpentras:

dvx3.jpg

Provençal pasta:

xukr.jpg

There are many other traditional confectioneries in France, for example the Anis de Flavigny who come from Bourgogne (the great region of vine), they are monks who made these little candies since the 8th century. It is a seed of anise coated with sugar, it takes 15 days for the drageiste to coat the small seed of anise to make a candy of 1 gram.

3a1e.jpg

If you come to France, you can enjoy good confectionery  😎

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Vermicelli sausage...it is not Italian without fennel seeds.  Or else nothing to make my Muscatouli...

On 10/30/2019 at 2:06 PM, BigStewMan said:

Candy Corn.   For the life of me, i can’t figure out why anyone would consume it.  I don’t eat candy (other than an occasional Chick-O-Stick) but when i wore a younger man’s shoes and ate candy regularly, i didn’t like candy corn then either. I was a Mounds, Junior Mints, or Three Musketeers guy.

My vote: Halloween  Kisses. My parents used to throw those filing pullers in the trash. I did the same thing for my girls when they went trick or treating. Of course, I ‘inspected’ everything in their bags for quality control purposes. 😇

Wb

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

hi, I live in France close to the Mediterranean in Provence, here we have a lot of fruits: apricots, peaches, melon, cherries, plums, figs, almonds ... so there is traditional confectionery with these fruits.

For example the Calisson d'Aix (Aix-en-Provence: you know the landscapes thanks to the painter Paul Cézanne) made with Melon and crushed almonds, these treats are ancestral:

666a.jpg

v83o.jpg

h69z.jpg

There are also candied fruits:

p8ss.jpg

the Berlingot of Carpentras:

dvx3.jpg

Provençal pasta:

xukr.jpg

There are many other traditional confectioneries in France, for example the Anis de Flavigny who come from Bourgogne (the great region of vine), they are monks who made these little candies since the 8th century. It is a seed of anise coated with sugar, it takes 15 days for the drageiste to coat the small seed of anise to make a candy of 1 gram.

3a1e.jpg

If you come to France, you can enjoy good confectionery  😎

Partially explains why the German’s keep coming every 20 to 50 years for extended stays. Of course, Napoleon did not improve the mood. Especially WRT the contingent from the former Prussia.

Wb

i can remember my Mom telling us to wait until we got home so she could check the candy before we ate it (fear of drugs and razor blades, etc...). We agreed; but, were eating it all night long before we got home. 

we used to get a pillow case halfway full of goodies.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Those popcorn balls home made

were a trip.

i’m sure they ended up in the middle of a street somewhere.  i think back now and the person probably worked hard making a bunch of them and maybe it was cheaper than buying candy bars; but as a kid -- it was all about the good candy.  I was a  jerk kid for sure. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, billybob said:

Those popcorn balls home made

were a trip.

So were candied apples. When I started going without my father on Halloween I used to make a mental note of which neighbors provided the homemade stuff and not having an X-ray machine handy decide what I felt safe eating and what didn’t. Some of it consumed between houses.

Wb

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

i can remember my Mom telling us to wait until we got home so she could check the candy before we ate it (fear of drugs and razor blades, etc...). We agreed; but, were eating it all night long before we got home. 

we used to get a pillow case halfway full of goodies.  

We'd hit all the houses in our neighborhood, go home, change and hit them again.

• Like 1

Allright @BigStewMan  & @CECAA850 

Our generation was the same where ever we were I guess. King sized pillowcases that were as big as us when filled, hide them at "the" creek (not the other creeks) get more and we covered a two mile radius with more towards the north of us. Most homes were on less than an acre lot so we hit hundreds of houses. Chex-mix, popcorn balls, hot apple cider, slim jims, candied apples.... kids today have no idea what Halloween trick-or-treating is really like. Literally half a dozen pieces every day, some got stale before the next summer came around and we'd still have candy we would throw out the next Halloween before going out.

Funny none of us was chubby then, but couldn't eat that much now, "they" quit making the good stuff!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1