I'm selling a pro amp on Craigslist (scam alert story)

wvu80

I have a Yamaha 5000S pro amp up for sale on the local Craigslist.  A Buyer replied, sounded legit, we negotiated price via CL mail, then this little red flag popped up:

Ok that's good, I want to buy it for my daughter as a surprise for her birthday and I'm really interested in buying this, please mark it as sold as I'm gonna have my bank mail you the payment overnight (Bill Pay Check) which you will get tomorrow since we have arrived at a good price and will send a mover for pick up when the check clears and you have the cash, sound good? Thanks you

Dude is buying a pro-amp for his daughter's birthday?  His bank is going to mail me a check, overnight?  His mover will come and pick up the amp?

I think not.  B)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jason str said:

Give them the address of the local police department.

Great minds think alike.  Here is my reply to his post, quoted above:

"Cash only, and we can meet in a public place to make the exchange.  Do you know where the Parkersburg Police station is?"

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

So this person was NOT local?

BTW, I send checks from my bank all the time.

I don't know if he's local, he gave no indication.

Does your bank overnight checks to others for you?  Or do you get a bank check and then you send it?

The last post from the Buyer checks every box for a scammer.  His poor grammar and assertion that this "item" is for his daughter's birthday tells me he has no idea what the "item" is.

Still, if he brings cash and meets me at the local police station, the "item" is his.

ANY red flags on the play result in instant disqualification.

Can you block people on Craigslist?

For some reason CL never took off up here and kijiji slid into it’s place, bigtime.

Apart from the deals, about the only nice thing about kijiji is you can block the legitimately challenged, chronic low-ballers, and the illiterate.

6 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Can you block people on Craigslist?

I don't think so.  FYI both our exchanges are through the CL mail, so each of our legit email addy's are scrambled.

I'm not worried about this particular guy.  He's looking for a victim and I ain't it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Does your bank overnight checks to others for you?  Or do you get a bank check and then you send it?

All I do is add them to my bill pay list, and then tell the bank to send a check (if it's not an electronic transfer).  They will send overnight, but that costs extra, otherwise sending a check is free.

• Thanks 1

Just now, jimjimbo said:

All I do is add them to my bill pay list, and then tell the bank to send a check (if it's not an electronic transfer).  They will send overnight, but that costs extra, otherwise sending a check is free.

I did not know that.  Seriously, thanks for the info.  :emotion-21:

So, do you want to buy a Yamaha pro amp?  You I trust.  I'll make you a good price.  B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I seen this almost exactly " to the letter"  I was selling my Cornwalls.  It takes a while before the bank determines the check is actually bad.  After the check fails to clear they pull the funds from your account.  By then the equipment has been picked up.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I did not know that.  Seriously, thanks for the info.  :emotion-21:

So, do you want to buy a Yamaha pro amp?  You I trust.  I'll make you a good price.  B)

I send checks to family members and friends all the time.  Much easier than writing the check, stuffing the envelope, attaching postage then mailing.  My nieces and nephews do a lot of fundraising through their schools and we donate this way quite often.

As far as the amp is concerned.....if you'll come and build an addition to my house so that I'll have room for another amp....then maybe.  Otherwise, thanks but no thanks.

17 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I send checks to family members and friends all the time.  Much easier than writing the check, stuffing the envelope, attaching postage then mailing.  My nieces and nephews do a lot of fundraising through their schools and we donate this way quite often.

As far as the amp is concerned.....if you'll come and build an addition to my house so that I'll have room for another amp....then maybe.  Otherwise, thanks but no thanks.

I thought one could never have enough. Wasn't it Rockefeller who when asked how many speakers were enough he said just one more?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, richieb said:

* I don’t find it odd sending a moving company to pick up the amp. I have a moving company on retainer for any “over the top” audio purchases —

Fair enough.  That's just not my experience and so I err on the side of caution.

Did you ever buy your daughter a pro amp for her birthday?  Do you want to?  I have one that's still available.  🤓

• Like 1