I'm selling a pro amp on Craigslist (scam alert story)

wvu80

On 10/31/2019 at 8:46 AM, wvu80 said:

I have a Yamaha 5000S pro amp up for sale on the local Craigslist.  A Buyer replied, sounded legit, we negotiated price via CL mail, then this little red flag popped up:

Ok that's good, I want to buy it for my daughter as a surprise for her birthday and I'm really interested in buying this, please mark it 

Dude is buying a pro-amp for his daughter's birthday?  His bank is going to mail me a check, overnight?  His mover will come and pick up the amp?

I think not.  B)

I always look to see that they are talking about an item I am selling.  I don't even respond when the use words like "this", "it", "item" etc.  98% chance that is a telltale sign they aren't referring to anything you are really selling, but scamming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pzannucci said:

I always look to see that they are talking about an item I am selling.  I don't even respond when the use words like "this", "it", "item" etc.

98% chance that is a telltale sign they aren't referring to anything you are really selling, but scamming.

That's how he responded, with generic references but never called the Yamaha 5000S by that name.  Scam.

+++

UPDATE:  Buyer/scammer has not contacted me in two days.  All contact stopped when I demanded cash and to meet at the local police store.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/31/2019 at 5:46 AM, wvu80 said:

I have a Yamaha 5000S pro amp up for sale on the local Craigslist.  A Buyer replied, sounded legit, we negotiated price via CL mail, then this little red flag popped up:

Dude is buying a pro-amp for his daughter's birthday?  His bank is going to mail me a check, overnight?  His mover will come and pick up the amp?

I think not.  B)

Similar thing happened to me when I sold my freshly restored Chorus 1's I even talked with the guy on the phone for about 20 minutes seemed legit knew about the speakers and home audio he told me he would send me "a little extra money" if I could be so kind to pay his guys when they picked up the speakers the cashiers check shows up in the mail and it was for $8k I threw  it right in the trash after doing a little research it can take up to 90 days for the bank to determine if the check is bad and then you're on the hook to pay that money back no thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

it can take up to 90 days for the bank to determine if the check is bad and then you're on the hook to pay that money back no thanks

This scam has been going since at least the early 2000s that I know of. Friend got scammed this way around 2002 for some nice dj gear.  He looked at me waiting to see what I would say.   All I said was "if it sounds too good to be true".... I got screwed myseld once real good by a pro con artist.   Showed up in a suit and tie and a brand new audio RS7, modded.  It was late and I was tired. Traded a, high end Garrett turbo for two sets of wheels.  But wait... It wasn't a Garrett turbo at all.   It was a Chinese copy and I took his word.  Smooth talker.  Believe me, I had bad thoughts about what I would do if I found the guy again.  

I just had this happen to me today......twice.

I'm selling an amp on Craigslist (WI) and the first guy says he's in Orlando. He'll send the check and his "mover" will pick it up.

The second guy.....same thing. Says he's out of town. Mover will pick it up, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1