84 LaScala Sold as 250wpc +or-10db

Mike LaScalahead

21 hours ago, Emile said:

Yeah ... got the same set and LOVE them :D  Use them with CF-3's.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

I have a few of the old early-to-mid 1970's Kenwood integrated amps in my "vintage" stash.  They generally had good build quality and sound...but my preference still remains with H/K's ultra-wide-band-frequency-response of that era for old Heritage line speakers.  If you are looking for a great value on certain vintage Kenwood items, remember that Radio Shack also marketed some of them under their "Realistic" branding...which generally go for less on the used vintage market than those branded "Kenwood"!  Hint! Hint!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 3:04 PM, Mike LaScalahead said:

Purchased them in NATO Base in Italy and shipped from Hope Arkansas to my home.

The specs on them were 250 watts per channel plus or minus 10 dB. The 3 best soundings speakers there were was Infinity’s Reference standard the Klipschorn  and the  LaScalas, at the time their prices were 10k, 3k,and1.2k respectively and I got the LaScalas.

But now as I try to refurbish them I can’t seem to get replacement parts I get replacement kits from the mfgr. One would think you could get replacements from the mfgr or information where I could get a replacement it’s  almost like if I want replacements I have to buy new speakers 

I can't imagine (and I'm quite sure) you don't need any replacement parts.  If your drivers all work, you don't need new ones.  Klipsch should be able to supply some replacement parts and, in fact, new diaphragms are the correct way to repair non-functioning tweeters.  Unfortunately, the K-55-M has been discontinued so there are no replacement diaphragms for it.  It is a good driver, so I'd keep them.  I think I read Bob Crites found a way to make a K-55-V diaphragm work, but ........ 

Now, your Type AL network is another thing altogether.  I had them and consider them junk.  The Type AA network is best suited to a K-55-V.  The better choice for your La Scalas would be a Type AL-3.  Years ago, Klipsch built me a new network.  Maybe they will build you a set.  If not, look on eBay and then replace the capacitors.  The schematic for the AL-3 is available here should you want to build a set from scratch.  getting an autoformer, new, with the correct attenuation might be a trick.  Maybe Bob's your uncle, there. 

Finally, there are legitimate upgrades available, but they are more expensive than the original parts.  Once you get your crossover replaced, and listen a while, you can start looking at other upgrades.  I'll offer one I have liked.  Wrap your K-400 with at least one layer of Dynamat, or equal, and it will calm an edginess you don't know you have.  Play a powerful female singer and wrap your hand around the horn in front of the driver.  You should feel some vibration that colors the sound. 

46 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I can't imagine (and I'm quite sure) you don't need any replacement parts.  If your drivers all work, you don't need new ones.  Klipsch should be able to supply some replacement parts and, in fact, new diaphragms are the correct way to repair non-functioning tweeters.  Unfortunately, the K-55-M has been discontinued so there are no replacement diaphragms for it.  It is a good driver, so I'd keep them.  I think I read Bob Crites found a way to make a K-55-V diaphragm work, but ........ 

Now, your Type AL network is another thing altogether.  I had them and consider them junk.  The Type AA network is best suited to a K-55-V.  The better choice for your La Scalas would be a Type AL-3.  Years ago, Klipsch built me a new network.  Maybe they will build you a set.  If not, look on eBay and then replace the capacitors.  The schematic for the AL-3 is available here should you want to build a set from scratch.  getting an autoformer, new, with the correct attenuation might be a trick.  Maybe Bob's your uncle, there. 

Finally, there are legitimate upgrades available, but they are more expensive than the original parts.  Once you get your crossover replaced, and listen a while, you can start looking at other upgrades.  I'll offer one I have liked.  Wrap your K-400 with at least one layer of Dynamat, or equal, and it will calm an edginess you don't know you have.  Play a powerful female singer and wrap your hand around the horn in front of the driver.  You should feel some vibration that colors the sound. 

There is also another option to do the same thing....Go to a builder supply place and ask for a can of "that rubberizing stuff for screw-drivers used by electricians".  There is more than one brand-name...but they are all the same stuff.  It is designed so that a metal tool can be immersed in the can by dipping the part that needs to be insulated.  For the K-400 horn, just get some Birchwood-Casey gun scrubber at Walmart (solvent-grade ether under pressure!) and use it on a cloth to wipe-down the outside surfaces of the horn lens.  Then take an inexpensive paint brush and put that rubberizing stuff on all the outside horn lens surfaces, taking care to not get any into the threads inside its driver mounting area.  This is a relatively inexpensive solution to the problem...and...WORKS LIKE A CHARM!😉