Subwoofer inside my Rack

cocarvalho

Hello friends,
I would like ask for a help.
I bought an Klipsch R12Swi (It is rear firing port) and I will install it inside a rack on my room. (I know that maybee is not the best option)

It will be in the floor, but my question is about how many centimeters I should leave between the sub and the rack wood (sides and top)?
I would like install it near the wood (like in the picture), but I heard that is good to leave some space between.

Below an picture for example.

Thanks a lot for any help.

image.thumb.png.a6aeaf1618b290e6e9e3dacfd37c640b.png

• Like 1

Sides and top won't matter too much, you'll want it at least as far from the wall behind it as the diameter(s) of the port(s).

That being said, subwoofers are impacted tremendously by their location in the room.  Even moving it a couple feet can make a huge difference.  It's really best to not limit it to one spot just in case it doesn't perform well there. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with @wuzzzer and @jason str...

I recommend you first do the subwoofer crawl to determine all the viable locations from an audio performance perspective: https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement

If one of your sweet spots happens to be right where that rack opening is, then great... otherwise scrap that idea and put it in the most practical of the sweet spots you found.

You could also use a USB mic and the REW software to measure various locations, but the subwoofer crawl will be the cheapest and quickest route.

Go on YouTube and search for “subwoofer crawl”. This will walk you through the steps, to help you find the best spot for the subwoofer to go in your room.

You can spend $2K + on a subwoofer but if it isn’t placed in the correct spot, it might not sound any better than a $200 sub that is placed in the optimal spot. Now if that spot doesn’t line up with how you want the room to look, that’s a whole different problem.

Looks of my system is nearly as important to me as the way it sounds so I have to compromise on speaker size and on placement.