Headphones

Woofers and Tweeters

I don't have nice sounding headphones, so I was thinking of getting some. I would like to know what others would suggest. 

What headphones do you have?

Which ones would you rather have?

Do you have sellers remorse from some you had, what were they?

Just as important, which ones would you not guy and why?

(Tell about what earbuds you like too, if you want)

Etc...?

With my hearing aids, i can’t wear headphones -- just get this horrible feedback.  I have to sync my hearing aids with my computer and listen that way. works pretty good; but with hearing aids, i’m never going to hear things like they naturally sound -- the hearing aid folks just aren’t making great strides in music listening. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sennheiser HD-650's with a Schiit Valhalla amp and some junk cd player.  I'm not totally into cd's like many.  Sounds great in a pinch.  Perhaps an Oppo someday. Having more LP's, I listen to a pair of Marantz SE-1 electrostatic's thru my PrimaLuna.  Sounds fantastic.  Have had them for years and actually forgot I had them til one day a light bulb went off in my wittle brain.  Ha!  I DO like the 650s though.  They sound great and are comfy.  Nice run of lead wire to the head phones too.  Easy to relax in.

marantz_headphones.jpg

• Like 2

tough call - on the real cheap (like $24 on sale) and with a somewhat "V" shaped response,  the Monoprice "Retro" (which appear toi be a Superlux product) can be pretty good.   I don't like my Fostex T20RPMKII much - inefficient and with cavity resonance.  I often use re-capped ancient 2-way Stanton Dynaphase 60 with a JLH circuit Chi-fi amp (great amp).   My Schiit Vali 2 blew up with high Z heapjhones (funky Koss 250ohm)  on a drum track.  

Phillips SHP9500 are decent headphones, open back, low clamping force and run around $75 new.   Go over to head-fi - super best audio friends and head-fi and see whats currently happening.  Amazon's reviews and feedback can be useful too.

With a portable player,  I have some Zagg wood cup cans which sound pretty good and can be found new for around $25 shipped.

• Like 1

I have read several reviews and several A/B head to head about a few models. I ask on here because there is either a love or a hate for the Klipsch sound out yonder. My use will be for a broad spectrum of music listening, not for gaming or TV watching.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:44 PM, BigStewMan said:

With my hearing aids, i can’t wear headphones -- just get this horrible feedback.  I have to sync my hearing aids with my computer and listen that way. works pretty good; but with hearing aids, i’m never going to hear things like they naturally sound -- the hearing aid folks just aren’t making great strides in music listening. 

My 5.5 decade old ears aren't going to head things as they naturally (fully) sound either. Glad the hearing aid folks are making strides. 

On 11/2/2019 at 11:35 PM, Dave1290 said:

Sennheiser HD-650

For me, by what I read, it was a toss-up between those or the HD600, so I ordered some Beyerdynamic DT990Pro. lol 

Neither the 650 or 600 received any negative remarks and will get some some day.

11 hours ago, karlson3 said:

tough call - on the real cheap (like $24 on sale) and with a somewhat "V" shaped response,  the Monoprice "Retro" (which appear toi be a Superlux product) can be pretty good.   I don't like my Fostex T20RPMKII much - inefficient and with cavity resonance.  I often use re-capped ancient 2-way Stanton Dynaphase 60 with a JLH circuit Chi-fi amp (great amp).   My Schiit Vali 2 blew up with high Z heapjhones (funky Koss 250ohm)  on a drum track.  

Phillips SHP9500 are decent headphones, open back, low clamping force and run around $75 new.   Go over to head-fi - super best audio friends and head-fi and see whats currently happening.  Amazon's reviews and feedback can be useful too.

With a portable player,  I have some Zagg wood cup cans which sound pretty good and can be found new for around $25 shipped.

Thanks. I did some reading over at head-fi and other forums which was very helpful. An amp and DAC will e next. 

Are the Fostex a ribbon speaker?

• Like 1

I am not a headphone guru. But I agree the Senn 650 is a great can. And comfortable. I use it straight out of a Denon 3312ci. So with some dacs and amps it should sound even better. Look into Drop (formerly Massdrop) for their version done in collaboration with Sehnheiser.

The price is unbeatable for truly great and well regarded 'phones.

• Like 1

Using "cheaper" Sennheiser HD-558's and think they are pretty good :)  Of course, only use them 10 minutes/month so really have no clue (use my speakers 99% of the time as I need to "feel" the music).  But, have seen very good reviews on the HD-650's.  Good luck :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KlipschFish said:

Look into Drop (formerly Massdrop)

Yes, the 6xx are the HD650 for a lot less and have great reviews. Lots of good report on the oval shape of the Sennheiser fitting better. From what I have read, I believe the HD600 might be what I would like for the sound.  

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Using "cheaper" Sennheiser HD-558's and think they are pretty good

Nothing wrong with that. It's like having a motorcycle in that you don't have to have the fastest one to still have fun (the words motorcycle and fastest can be substituted Ex: Klipsch/biggest or girlfriend/prettiest, etc... 🤸‍♂️). 

• Like 2