Strange capacitor issue ...

Deang

Because of the fact that the occurrence of the viscous droplets is directly under the firm, 360 degree pressure and tension of the zip tie securing the cap to the board, I'm thinking the sap-like goo may be residual adhesive between the outer insulation and the inner cylinder that forms the body of the capacitor.  I've seen the same gunk on heat-damaged Solens in amplifiers.  Sticky, messy stuff!  A wipe of acetone on paper towel should take care of it, and performance wise a non-issue.

Just my half-cent's worth Dean 😉

• Thanks 1

These are my crossovers, and here is a little more background info.The zip ties are not overly tight and not causing any squeezing of the caps. the crossovers have never been subject to more than one or two watts of power. Room temperature is a constant 74 degrees.The substance is gooey/sticky feeling, not solid. all 4 caps are experiencing this, on both ends. It doesn't affect the sound any.

The only reason I even noticed this is because I swapped out the crossovers  for another set I had for comparison. I'm not really concerned at this point, just curious. I plan on putting the crossovers back in without cleaning them up and see if the "oozing" gets worse.

I think Erik and Moray are right. The ties are around the endcaps. It makes sense that it would be adhesive. Whats odd is that the adhesive should be epoxy - that, or it's excessive adhesive from the teflon tape that they wrap the capacitor in. 

12 hours ago, kevinmi said:

These are my crossovers, and here is a little more background info.The zip ties are not overly tight and not causing any squeezing of the caps. the crossovers have never been subject to more than one or two watts of power. Room temperature is a constant 74 degrees.The substance is gooey/sticky feeling, not solid. all 4 caps are experiencing this, on both ends. It doesn't affect the sound any.

The only reason I even noticed this is because I swapped out the crossovers  for another set I had for comparison. I'm not really concerned at this point, just curious. I plan on putting the crossovers back in without cleaning them up and see if the "oozing" gets worse.

If it's happening to all 4 caps, and they are all the same brand and model, then I think it's an issue specific to the cap and not the crossover.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deang said:

You could send that picture to Solen. It would be interesting to see what they say.

Btw, Solen sells those to Mundorf, who rebrands them. 

Interesting about the rebranding. I had heard of rebranding taking place, but never any specifics.

I might send the pics to Solens just to see what they say. 

I contacted Solen and sent the pictures. They said they hadn't seen this before. They thought that it could happen in a high heat situation, but noted that the outer film casing would be distorted as well, which it isn't. They think more than likely it is the adhesive from the outer wrap.

They would like me to send at least one back so they can study it. They have also agreed to replace all of them with no charge. Now I have to decide whether to remove them and send them back or just leave them alone. What would you guys do?

1 hour ago, Deang said:

I think it's a lot of trouble to confirm what we all now know already - it's excess adhesive. Tell them you'll trade for the teflons.

I told them I'd let them know after thinking about it over the weekend. We'll see if they offer an upgrade!