Strange capacitor issue ...

Deang

Wire nuts?  You can drop a huge blob of solder on the connections in less time if you've got a proper soldering gun!

Tear it down for clean-looking replacements is something I'd do over a glass of whiskey if they sent the replacements first, with a postage-paid container for the returns.  Otherwise, no, 10% in the future or not.

But I'm happy everyone's happy with the results...

I am very OCD. Those caps would be replaced in my crossovers. They are defective, mechanically now. Who knows later. 

Solen seems very cavalier on this. May think it is abuse  from high temperature environment. Would not think the zip ties could damage them. All I have used are solid construction.

Remember comments that zip ties are bad for sonics. Is this why?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

I am very OCD. Those caps would be replaced in my crossovers. They are defective, mechanically now. Who knows later. 

Solen seems very cavalier on this. May think it is abuse  from high temperature environment. Would not think the zip ties could damage them. All I have used are solid construction.

Me too. Only I'd probably set the place on fire with my soldering gun.

Wb

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Deang said:

Uh, yeah, good luck with that.

No offense intended, but no problem.  Cut the cap leads 1/4" from the joint, bend them at half way back toward the joint, new leads get bent back towards the caps from there, interlocked, trim, fold and squeeze tight,  solder.  But then I'd most likely not have started the thread in the first place...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kevinmi said:

OK folks, after reading the comments since I decided to remove the caps and send them back, I've decided to not mess with them after all. I don't want to butcher Deans work, and as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Besides, I'm lazy

If I had built those crossovers, I wouldn't want anyone else to "butcher" them either. I'd want to be the one to replace the caps. 

4 hours ago, glens said:

No offense intended, but no problem. Cut the cap leads 1/4" from the joint, bend them at half way back toward the joint, new leads get bent back towards the caps from there, interlocked, trim, fold and squeeze tight,  solder.

None taken.

I thought about that too. Get in, get out - but it would look like a hack job. 

4 hours ago, MechEngVic said:

If I had built those crossovers, I wouldn't want anyone else to "butcher" them either. I'd want to be the one to replace the caps. 

If Solen would have said the caps were faulty, I would have done the work myself at no charge, since I warranty my work. 

9 hours ago, Panelhead said:

I guess you didn't read the posts in the thread. The capacitors are not mechanically defective. If they were, I'd be the first to want them out (which is why I started the thread).

Solen was not "cavalier", but responded immediately with an offer to exchange them.

No high temperatures were involved.

Everyone please stop with the zip tie thing. Grrr.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deang said:

I guess you didn't read the posts in the thread. The capacitors are not mechanically defective. If they were, I'd be the first to want them out (which is why I started the thread).

Solen was not "cavalier", but responded immediately with an offer to exchange them.

No high temperatures were involved.

This probably wouldn't have happened if you used dark pigment zip ties. Black are satisfactory, but a hybrid purple/blue would be sonically best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deang said:

But, but, but, you HAVE to lift your speaker cables off the floor to keep the 'lectrons in!  Shouldn't the same apply to your caps?!?!  Don't say the zip tie is a tourniquet preventing end bleed.  I don't believe it.  😈

I can almost top the zip tie thing.

I've been using the Arizona caps lately. The casing is covered in clear plastic. I had someone tell me that things would "sound more transparent" if I removed the plastic. I was like, "yeah, but what about the plastic that's inside the cap?" 

I'm surprised no one has come up with audiophile zip ties. That might be a real money maker.

• Like 1