Strange capacitor issue ...

Deang

Agree with Edgar and John. I work in a manufacturing environment, and its always helpful to get failed parts back for analysis. Your phone call should have also prompted them to evaluate their current stock & processes, as well. Give them another call first, to check in; they may have already sorted out the problem.

Someone "on the line" didn't catch the misadjustment in a timely manner and they either didn't tell their immediate supervisor some (unknown quantity?) had too much glue, or they were told don't worry about it.  It never got mentioned to anyone higher, or it actually did and the decision was taken to address the issue later if it ever came up.  My prediction.

If they were willing to send known-"proper" replacements beforehand, along with a pre-paid return shipping container, I'd take them up on it.  It wouldn't hurt to request minor upgrade units, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  If they want them back first I don't think I'd bother with it.

23 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I contacted Solen and sent the pictures. They said they hadn't seen this before. They thought that it could happen in a high heat situation, but noted that the outer film casing would be distorted as well, which it isn't. They think more than likely it is the adhesive from the outer wrap.

They would like me to send at least one back so they can study it. They have also agreed to replace all of them with no charge. Now I have to decide whether to remove them and send them back or just leave them alone. What would you guys do?

Exactly that and soon. Before they 'forget' your issue, as corporations tend to do.

Wb

On 11/9/2019 at 11:15 AM, kevinmi said:

They have also agreed to replace all of them with no charge. Now I have to decide whether to remove them and send them back or just leave them alone.

What would you guys do?

If it were me I'd send them back.

Even though I assume they sound fine, it would bother me that there is a factory defect in my very pricey capacitors.  If I am the Solens company I don't want defective caps out there.  Since they made the offer, give them the opportunity to do the right thing.

• Like 1