RP600Ms sound different from each other

Wowarning

I picked up a pair of RP600Ms a few weeks ago and have been changing around other parts of my system to get the most out of them. I just added a Marantz SR6013 avr and was checking levels after redoing all my wire with the white noise generator and I noticed that the two RP600Ms sounded quite different from each other. This strikes me as an indicator that something is likely "off" with one of the speakers. I have them both bi-amped using the rear surround amps for the tweeters. Does anyone have any experience or insight? Should I be contacting Klipsch for warranty service already? Thanks in advance! 

Is one closer to a side wall than the other?  I've experienced the same thing when one is. 

If not, I would swap the left and right speaker wires and run the white noise again.  Does the difference in sounds seem to stay with the same speaker or does it seem to switch?

• Like 1

I would probably just avoid “bi-amping” all together. I have tried both ways and the only thing I ever thought I was doing, when bi-amping, was putting more strain on my receiver. Maybe just try running one set of speaker wires to each speaker and use the jumpers. 

Just another thing to try out but I doubt bi-amping is the reason they sound different. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, K5SS said:

I would probably just avoid “bi-amping” all together. I have tried both ways and the only thing I ever thought I was doing, when bi-amping, was putting more strain on my receiver. Maybe just try running one set of speaker wires to each speaker and use the jumpers. 

Just another thing to try out but I doubt bi-amping is the reason they sound different. 

So I took your advice - I put the jumpers back on and ran one set of cables from the front L and R outputs, and would you believe they sound as near to identical as I could expect from any two speakers!! The right side sounds the same when bi-amped vs single, but the left channel highs are quite different when bi-amped. Those were coming from the L rear surround output. Now I'm concerned that the receiver might have an issue. Since I had nothing hooked up to those outputs when I initially ran the Audyssey calibration (Marantz SR6013 avr) it shouldn't have eq'd the channel in any way, but then again, I really should have re-run the calibration after I bi-amped it. Maybe I'll do that and see if the issue persists. At that point, maybe I consider swapping back the receiver, it's only a week old. Thank you so much for your idea! I still have detective work to do, and there's still a problem, but you totally put me on the right track, and I might be able to completely fix it without needing to send anything back at all - fingers crossed. I'll update my progress. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wowarning said:

I initially ran the Audyssey calibration (Marantz SR6013 avr) it shouldn't have eq'd the channel in any way, but then again, I really should have re-run the calibration after I bi-amped it.

I have a Marantz 6011 and I've run my RP-600M's bi-amped.  I like them better without bi-amp, more dynamic.

When you ran your bi-amp setup, did you go into the Audio menu and choose the bi-amp option?

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I have a Marantz 6011 and I've run my RP-600M's bi-amped.  I like them better without bi-amp, more dynamic.

When you ran your bi-amp setup, did you go into the Audio menu and choose the bi-amp option?

Yes. I'm only running a 5.1 setup, so I chose the 5.1 bi-amped + zone 2. I think it was initially set to 7.1 + zone 2. Like I said, I don't know why it would have eq'd the output of that channel, so maybe there's a legitimate issue with the avr. As a test, I'll bi-amp them again and re-run the Audyssey and see if that L rear surround output still sounds off or if that fixes it. Interesting that you found it more dynamic without bi-amping, I wonder why that would be? To be honest, after doing a little research I couldn't really find much to support the practice - at least in the fashion that I was doing. Common sense-wise it seems like you should have more available clean power to the mains if you're using 4 amps instead of 2, but in practice there didn't seem to be much evidence to support that idea. If it's not really advantageous, why do high end speakers come with the capability, and why do receivers offer the option as well? Maybe the speaker wire and banana plug industries paid them off to push the idea, lol. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wowarning said:

Yes. I'm only running a 5.1 setup, so I chose the 5.1 bi-amped + zone 2.

I also run 5.1.  I think the correct (preferred?) way to run 5.1 bi-amped is to choose 7.1 b-amped.  If you want the "why" I'll have to dig into the manual tomorrow, but I think that's where it is.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:55 PM, wvu80 said:

I also run 5.1.  I think the correct (preferred?) way to run 5.1 bi-amped is to choose 7.1 b-amped.  If you want the "why" I'll have to dig into the manual tomorrow, but I think that's where it is.

That is so weird - lmao. Why in the world would they HAVE a 5.1 bi-amped + Zone 2 if the preferred way is 7.1 bi-amped + Zone 2!!!???!?!?! You've given me more stuff to check out though. If you find it first, let me know what you turn up. 

15 hours ago, Wowarning said:

That is so weird - lmao. Why in the world would they HAVE a 5.1 bi-amped + Zone 2 if the preferred way is 7.1 bi-amped + Zone 2!!!???!?!?! You've given me more stuff to check out though. If you find it first, let me know what you turn up. 

The settings options are on page 210 of the manual, but the descriptions are very sparse.  Despite what I suggested, I didn't see in the manual where 7.1 bi-amp was preferred over 5.1 bi-amp + Zone 2.

Let me go to my 6011 menu settings themselves.  I think there are more menu options for speakers in 7.2 bi-amp, such as front height, middle height and rear height.  I'll do some more checking.

• Like 1