Empty Oak Heresy 1 cabs in Massachusetts - khorns and other stuff too

garyeanderson

I picked these empty Heresy cabs up a couple years ago 2015, I am guessing that I may not get around to filling them up any time soon and maybe it's time for some one else to use them.  They are from 1981, (131 W 116 and 131 W 119). The tags on the back were missing when I got them, they are red oak, I don't know if they were oiled or lacquered. When I got them they had already been refinished once already, the finish at the time (not oil) was very dark and ugly so I sanded the old finish off and re-applied a clear polyurethane finish. The original finish had been removed long ago. I also made a pair of slant risers for them from Brazilian Cherry,  to me, is a nice contrast between the Red Oak. I used the holes from the original risers as to not do damage to the bottoms. The original backs are included and that is all (I repeat these are EMPTY).  I am not sure on an asking price, If you stop by and buy a pair of Klipschorns, Lascalas  or Cornwalls they are yours, if you just want the Heresys , how does $100 sound?

Thanks for looking

Gary

DSC00634.JPG

3 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Hi Gary,

That seems like a fair price, I don’t need them but it seems fair.  If you know, how did they come to be empty?  

I forget.  Is that an Elan and does it run?  

I got them from an owner that had bought some better looking cabs and transferred all of the components. These are really nice plywood motorborad with lumbercore sides. I could not buy the materials for that kind of money so being weak, the owner helped me carry them out to my truck (they road home in the front seat, one with the seat belt on.

That Elan in the profile picture is back to the top of the project list, still not running but I do have an earlier Series 2 that does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

So, if I come by with a trailer and a few hundred bucks you won’t be able to say “no” to an offer on a pair of Klipschorns?

I have 3 pair of Klipschorns and am currently using only two (pair).  I ran oat of room and corners, I had two pair in in the livingroom stackd for a while but that was moving the walls a bit too much :biggrin:

The more you buy the less I save, probably a bit more than a few Bens though. I guess that most of my stuff is cosmetically challenged ...

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I hear ya.

$100 is a fair deal.  Great for someone that wants to try the Super Heresy project.

Yes, the hoarder thing.............I just finished a Super Cornwall, and maybe could use another SH surround, or a pair for the basement.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I can resist anything but temptation!!

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yes, the hoarder thing.............I just finished a Super Cornwall, and maybe could use another SH surround, or a pair for the basement.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I can resist anything but temptation!!

I had a great talk with Claude. These are for pickup only. I really don't want to pack and ship them and have someone think that they are not what they are looking for.  

Gary

• Like 2

3 hours ago, garyeanderson said:

I had a great talk with Claude. These are for pickup only. I really don't want to pack and ship them and have someone think that they are not what they are looking for.  

Gary

Dang.  I was just going to ask if you'd be willing to ship.  🙁

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, veloceleste said:

Hi, where in Massachusetts ? 

We had a nice 10 minute talk yesterday and I thought that veloceleste  idea of trying to install some h2 components in them might not work out so well, my original plan was to get the H3 kits and try and fit them. In the end I jus parked them in the corner.

I was looking for some other pictures I had and I couldn't find them but I did find this one of the downstairs corner with a stacked pair of Klipchorn bass bins with the Cornwall in front. That is one of Cornwall's that is available, the Khorn bass bin (KD-FR with birch front) on top is also available along with some tops that I built. I still have a bit of work to do on them like get the bass bins outside and lacquer the fronts of the khorns.

post-42841-13819622724452.jpg

khorntop.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/3/2019 at 7:42 AM, garyeanderson said:

When I got them they had already been refinished once already, the finish (not oil) was very dark and ugly so I sanded the old finish off and re-applied a satin polyurethane finish.

Forgive me; I have no intent to hijack your thread, but that might be the nicest red oak finish I've ever seen. Is the prominent grain a remnant of the first "dark" refinish, or did you sand down to bare wood and let the poly do its magic all alone? Can you be more specific about how you achieved it?

37 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Forgive me; I have no intent to hijack your thread, but that might be the nicest red oak finish I've ever seen. Is the prominent grain a remnant of the first "dark" refinish, or did you sand down to bare wood and let the poly do its magic all alone? Can you be more specific about how you achieved it?

As I related before they were urethaned  before and the satin finish just looked awful. I still have some pictures on another  computer that is not connected to the internet. Anyway they look very nice now in the picture and in person. I took down the old finish to bare wood, I believe that the had been sanded before I had got them, luckily the fancy veneered plywood that Klipsch use had some thickness. If I remember right,   they are labeled HOO on the tags, that may have been why that looked s dark (urethane over a dirty oiled oak finish?).  I would like someone to populate them and enjoy them, I had my fun refinishing and making the slant risers, It's time to move then along... 

Oh yea, I think I used a spar urethane varnish for the finish and sprayed it on, I may  have thinned it with acetone but I don't really remember for sure, I do remember I sprayed them on a cold day (it was in the low 40's in direct sun) in December I believe . Thanks for the complement Edgar, sometime you get lucky, I think I only had one small run that is sometime hard to find...

Gary

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:41 PM, keithcraigs said:

Going back to veloceleste's question - where in MA? I'm interested in the Cornwalls. 

Thank you Keith for calling and setting up a time to take a look.

The Cornwalls are now sold.

Hoping everyone has a nice, safe, enjoyable Thanksgiving.

P.S. -I still have plenty of speakers available

thanks again

Gary