Tube Amp Kit Recommendations

BamaMike

So my wife, the electronic technician, recently diagnosed and repaired an issue with one of my Quicksilver Silver Mono Blocks. God bless her! So now she wants to build an amp or a pair of mono blocks. I have started researching kits but thought I would ask you all for any recommendations. Want something that looks as nice as it sounds.

20191101_175435.jpg

output.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

You can say that again......just looked at her FB page......

LOL... thanks.

Plus - She hates shopping, loves martial arts and action flicks, wears little to no make up and does not carry a purse... AND... she shares my love for fine bourbon and tequila. HA!

Couple other thoughts:

Bottlehead is releasing a pair of 2A3 based monoblocks for under $2,000 in the coming months but I can't find the link to the amp (early morning / lack of coffee / general tiredness).  If I recall correctly they're priced under $2,000 for the pair.  Will edit this post if I find information on the amps.

The Elekit amps are well finished and well reviewed.  I built and run a TU-8200 (6L6GC based, also runs EL34, KT88 and associated tubes), and if in the states, now that VK ships these out with JJ tubes I suspect they'll gain more of a following as the 12AU7 that was shipped previously was a major weak link in the amp as-built.  In addition to the TU-8600 (300B based amp) listed above, there is a soon-to-be released single ended TU-8800 based on the KT88 that produces slightly more power than the TU-8200 and has a tube cage unlike the TU-8600.  Additionally, the upgraded transformers are available for the TU-8800 at launch while TU-8600 owners are still in a holding pattern.  As a bonus - headphone tap off the tubes so all Elekit amps double as a quality headamp.

Note that Bottlehead and most of the Elekit prices include tubes with the exception of the TU-8600.  But the reality is you can't go wrong going down this path rabbit hole of DIY audio.  I remember silently laughing at people who spent $60 on four coupling capacitors and now here I am one of them....

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 6:57 AM, BadChile said:

Couple other thoughts:

Bottlehead is releasing a pair of 2A3 based monoblocks for under $2,000 in the coming months but I can't find the link to the amp (early morning / lack of coffee / general tiredness).  If I recall correctly they're priced under $2,000 for the pair.  Will edit this post if I find information on the amps.

The Elekit amps are well finished and well reviewed.  I built and run a TU-8200 (6L6GC based, also runs EL34, KT88 and associated tubes), and if in the states, now that VK ships these out with JJ tubes I suspect they'll gain more of a following as the 12AU7 that was shipped previously was a major weak link in the amp as-built.  In addition to the TU-8600 (300B based amp) listed above, there is a soon-to-be released single ended TU-8800 based on the KT88 that produces slightly more power than the TU-8200 and has a tube cage unlike the TU-8600.  Additionally, the upgraded transformers are available for the TU-8800 at launch while TU-8600 owners are still in a holding pattern.  As a bonus - headphone tap off the tubes so all Elekit amps double as a quality headamp.

Note that Bottlehead and most of the Elekit prices include tubes with the exception of the TU-8600.  But the reality is you can't go wrong going down this path rabbit hole of DIY audio.  I remember silently laughing at people who spent $60 on four coupling capacitors and now here I am one of them....

Thanks... I'm headed off to find more info.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:22 AM, BamaMike said:

So my wife, the electronic technician, recently diagnosed and repaired an issue with one of my Quicksilver Silver Mono Blocks. God bless her! So now she wants to build an amp or a pair of mono blocks. I have started researching kits but thought I would ask you all for any recommendations. Want something that looks as nice as it sounds.

20191101_175435.jpg

output.jpg

Have a look here:  Elekit https://www.elekit.co.jp/en/product/TU-8600

and here: http://grantfidelity.com/site/

All made in Japan.

Wb

• Like 1