Adding supertweeter to cornwall i

Fmelindy

Hi guys, I've lurked here a long time but didnt join, not sure why!  Lots of good info and a nice sense of community. 

I've owned heresy ii, quartet i and now cornwall i.  Lived with the cornwalls for just over a year and do feel they miss a tiny bit of top end sparkle.  Have already installed the elliptrac tweeters sold by ALK.  Now thinking i might experiment with a supertweeter.

I have purchased a pair of Aurum Cantus AST2560 and they are on their way to me now.  Question is, how do I hook them up?  Do I need to build a crossover?  If so, any advice on how I'd go about that?  Thanks all.

Fred

Edited by Fmelindy

What crossovers are in your original Cornwalls? Upgraded/refreshed? If not, the clarity and sparkle will not be there, as the original capacitors have surely drifted way off spec given the ir age.

Bruce

Hmmm... didnt realize that would be a problem...  Thoughts these were pretty close in spec to the heil.  Wasnt meaning to replace the tweeter, meant to supplement it.  

The crossovers are original... do you think that recapping would get me back the upper end clarity on its own? 

1 hour ago, Fmelindy said:

Hmmm... didnt realize that would be a problem...  Thoughts these were pretty close in spec to the heil.  Wasnt meaning to replace the tweeter, meant to supplement it.  

The crossovers are original... do you think that recapping would get me back the upper end clarity on its own? 

If your Cornwall I's have never had the capacitors replaced, then it's time to do it and It can very well make a difference.

As others have suggested, start with refreshing the capacitors in the networks.  If that doesn’t restore the “sizzle” you seek, perhaps a new drop-in tweeter from Bob Crites (also a source of the network components) should give you sizzle that only your dog will hear.  You don’t need a supplemental super tweeter.

On 11/4/2019 at 12:26 AM, geoff. said:

4 ohms, 95db. Replacing 8 ohms, 105db.

Houston, er Saint John’s, we have a problem... lol

Not realy. Conrwalls are 98dB, tweeter is 8ohm, so 4ohm 95dBa is exactly same efficiency (+3dBa from impedance). It would not work for LaScala or KHorn but for Cornwall it may work. But probably THD will be higher with Aurum so PWK would not approve it (or he may but only with his famous BS button). Of course crossover needs complete rework in tweeter section. But actually having DE120 instead of K77 I don't fill any need for top end extension. 

Your DE120s (?) run about 105 dB at 18k and are only down to 101 dB at 20k.  Seeing that you are a man and old enough to have owned several Klipsch, I'd be surprised if you can hear 18k.  I can't.  Not since 21 anyway. 

It is possible to make those tweeters mate to Cornwalls, but the crossover will need to have a step-up transformer and your amp will have to contend with ~1ohms in its band.