driver firing into a smaller hole

Klipschguy

Greetings,

What would be the effect of mounting a 6.5" full range with a whizzer cone onto an oval slot measuring about 6" x 3"?  Would it sound okay or would I have to route out the hole?  I am trying to upgrade some digital piano speakers and the oval grills look good, plus routing the holes has tricky access.

Thanks,

Andy

it would tend to increase the dispersion over part of its range .  Say the oval is 6 inches high and 3 inches wide - then the horiaontal dipersion would be improved and things less beamy compared to the speaker's full diaphragm being used.  As long as the cone can't hit the baffle, give it a try.

Here;s an oval lens I tested years back on a 15 inch woofer (solrry for the wrong smoothing but relatively speaking it shows the effect) Note how close the "on" to 45 off horizontal axis traces are for the case with the oval lens vs no lens in the 1-2KHz region.  Your slot would have its effect

a bit more than an octave up vs the one in this picture.

nw2LNCJ.jpg

The use of those goes back at least to the time of G.A, Briggs and the R-J Enclosure.  Later in BBC monitors.  Currently JBL uses a modified oval slot in one line of their speakers.   If the JBL slot were used to make a modern "R-J", it would look something like my crude mess below.  The R-J

vented its backwave through a slot.  The first slot in the prototype was rectangular.  The first production R-H had a lopsided "diamond" slot

and the final slot was something like a lemon shape.  In some cases, such a slot could be used to get a better directivity match to a tweeter horn/waveguide

at crossover.

VwBtmIg.png

eon615_hero_nogrill_r.jpg

• Like 2