Voltage conversion question

michaelwjones

I have been offered a tube amplifier configured to operate at 240 volts / 50 Hertz at a very reasonable price, but I have a concern. While I can buy an appropriate convertor to step up US voltage, that does nothing to modify 60 Hertz to 50 Hertz. As an amplifier, there are no motors, but it has large transformers and I’d hate to damage any components. Do I need a frequency converter as well? Any other options beside walking away?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Edited by michaelwardjoines

The first thing it does with Hz is convert it to zero, so I wouldn't worry about that.  If you can source a different transformer (if there are no other available windings in the one you have) either do that or find a suitable-capacity step-up transformer to feed the one you've got.  

In general, the lower the line frequency, the more "iron" is needed in the power transformer. That is to say, for the same rating, a 50Hz transformer is generally beefier than a 60 Hz transformer. So operating a 50 Hz power transformer at 60 Hz is generally safer than operating a 60 Hz transformer at 50 Hz. Give it a try, see if the power transformer heats up or buzzes. Check the output voltage. If it all looks OK, then you're probably safe.