Receiver for home theater/music

Eivind

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm planning on upgrading my stereo setup, to a 5.1 surround system (maybe eventually 7.1).

The setup im looking to get:

RP-280F (front L/R)

RP-440C (center)

RP-160M (back surrounds)

R-115SW

Now, as a novice in this field, my question is: will the "Onkyo TX-NR656" work well with this system?

Edited by Eivind
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

It will, but I might suggest going with a newer model that will have more recent apps and features.  Looks like that Onkyo came out in 2016.

Thanks for responding! Do you have any recomendations? The reason i'm considering the TX-NR656 is that i can get one used, close to where i live for a good price, instead on paying full price just for additional features i might never use or need(?). 

Edited by Eivind

Both Marantz and Denon are known to work well with Klipsch.  I own the Marantz SR6011.  It works well with both music and movies.  I run a 5.1 setup.

If I might suggest a change to your setup, go with the best center you can afford.  In the RP line the 504C has been getting rave reviews and four 5" woofers are much stronger than four 4" woofers.  Owners are comparing it favorably to the flagship RC-64 III.  The big limitation is it won't go as loud as the RC-64 III.  I own the RC-64 III, I've not heard the 504C.

+++

There is a "local" member who posts here that a lot of us have bought from.  Give @MetropolisLakeOutfitters (Cory) or @Scrappydue  (Steve) a PM, they work together.  Prices are the best anywhere and they offer great service.  They will both give you excellent advice on how to prioritize your speaker budget to get the best bang for your buck.  Be sure to ask about "B stock" prices, it can save you a bundle.  I've bought B-stock RP-600M's from Cory.  I couldn't be more pleased with the price and service I got.

1140702457_RP-600Mlivingroomseascene_400.thumb.jpg.a098e471533630c61e1e9e9c62275f67.jpg

Welcome to the forums, @Eivind!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Both Marantz and Denon are known to work well with Klipsch.  I own the Marantz SR6011.  It works well with both music and movies.  I run a 5.1 setup.

If I might suggest a change to your setup, go with the best center you can afford.  In the RP line the 504C has been getting rave reviews and four 5" woofers are much stronger than four 4" woofers.  Owners are comparing it favorably to the flagship RC-64 III.  The big limitation is it won't go as loud as the RC-64 III.  I own the RC-64 III, I've not heard the 504C.

+++

There is a "local" member who posts here that a lot of us have bought from.  Give @MetropolisLakeOutfitters (Cory) or @Scrappydue  (Steve) a PM, they work together.  Prices are the best anywhere and they offer great service.  They will both give you excellent advice on how to prioritize your speaker budget to get the best bang for your buck.  Be sure to ask about "B stock" prices, it can save you a bundle.  I've bought B-stock RP-600M's from Cory.  I couldn't be more pleased with the price and service I got.

1140702457_RP-600Mlivingroomseascene_400.thumb.jpg.a098e471533630c61e1e9e9c62275f67.jpg

Welcome to the forums, @Eivind!

Thank you very much for the informative reply!

I live in Norway, so i dont know how applicable it is to order from the US, for me at least. Will the be any "compatibility issues" if i go with the 504c, since it's the newer RP line, unlike the rest of the setup? From what i've heard it's not worth it to get say the RP-8000Fs over the older RP-280Fs for instance? If thats so, should i rather consider the 450C, over the 504C as the center?

Again, thanks for the reply.

14 minutes ago, Loudogp250 said:

I have bought a few receivers from Accessories4less in the past. They are authorized dealers of the brands they sale so even buying refurbished gets you warranty coverage.

Hey and thanks! I live in Norway, so i think im going to stick with dealers in Norway for the sake of shipping prices etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eivind said:

I live in Norway, so i dont know how applicable it is to order from the US

I had a feeling you were not in the North American continent. Your English is perfect, it was your name that looked Scandinavian. 

Please accept a big friendly "welcome" to the Klipsch forums just the same, from the United States. 

You are correct, ordering from our local buddy is not an option.  We have many non-US members and Cory can't ship overseas.

6 minutes ago, Eivind said:

Will the be any "compatibility issues" if i go with the 504c, since it's the newer RP line, unlike the rest of the setup? From what i've heard it's not worth it to get say the RP-8000Fs over the older RP-280Fs for instance? If thats so, should i rather consider the 450C, over the 504C as the center?

There will not be any compatibility issues with the newer RP-504C.  What you are referring to is know as "timbre matching"  ("timbre is pronounced as "tamber", like a tambourine).  You will get different opinions on getting speakers that are timbre matched but I am in the camp that excellent quality goes with everything.  I don't know about all the other RP models but the 504C has a great reputation for sound quality.

I know the newer Klipsch models are more expensive than the older RP speakers and no matter what country you are from, a big price jump will get your attention.

According to those who have both the latest Klipsch RP speakers do sound better than the older models, but they are close in sound.  I don't know your budget but I suggest putting a priority in getting the best center speaker you can afford.  If you need to save some of your budget then get the older RP speakers as Left/Right, and the side surrounds are an even lower priority. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I had a feeling you were not in the North American continent. Your English is perfect, it was your name that looked Scandinavian. 

Please accept a big friendly "welcome" to the Klipsch forums just the same, from the United States. 

You are correct, ordering from our local buddy is not an option.  We have many non-US members and Cory can't ship overseas.

There will not be any compatibility issues with the newer RP-504C.  What you are referring to is know as "timbre matching"  ("timbre is pronounced as "tamber", like a tambourine).  You will get different opinions on getting speakers that are timbre matched but I am in the camp that excellent quality goes with everything.  I don't know about all the other RP models but the 504C has a great reputation for sound quality.

I know the newer Klipsch models are more expensive than the older RP speakers and no matter what country you are from, a big price jump will get your attention.

According to those who have both the latest Klipsch RP speakers do sound better than the older models, but they are close in sound.  I don't know your budget but I suggest putting a priority in getting the best center speaker you can afford.  If you need to save some of your budget then get the older RP speakers as Left/Right, and the side surrounds are an even lower priority. 

You were indeed correct, and thanks from Norway, for the warm welcome!

OK, prioritize center speaker, duly noted. Might have to go for the 504C then! Not to waste your time, but why is the center speaker so important, compared to the Left/Right, that you recommend getting the better center, over the better L/R speakers? I take your word for it, I'm just wondering:)

Out of curiosity, what does for instance the RP-280Fs and the RP-504C retail for in the US?

I just picked up the Marantz SR6013. It's "last year's model" and is down from $1500 to $900 for who knows how long (on Amazon). The differences between it and the newer SR6014 selling for $1500 were non-existent in my life. The only difference I could even really understand was it has the newer bluetooth protocol. Music sounds amazing as well. I have to admit I still want to add a 2 channel amp to take music to the next level, but it's several very noticeable steps better than the Denon E400 it replaced. I actually hooked up a vintage Harman Kardon 2 channel power amplifier off the pre-outs and compared them to see if it was worth putting it in the loop. It was not. There may have been the slightest improvement over the Marantz, but negligible to the point that I'm selling it and putting the money toward something that should produce a noticeable difference. It's hard to beat the price to performance ratio at the moment. 

You were indeed correct, and thanks from Norway, for the warm welcome!

OK, prioritize center speaker, duly noted. Might have to go for the 504C then! Not to waste your time, but why is the center speaker so important, compared to the Left/Right, that you recommend getting the better center, over the better L/R speakers? I take your word for it, I'm just wondering:)

Out of curiosity, what does for instance the RP-280Fs and the RP-504C retail for in the US?
90% if the sound comes through the center including the dialogue. I also have the 504c and it's the best center channel I've owned. The clarity and the depth of sound is amazing.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Hei Eivind.

Tenker vi tar denne på norsk jeg. Jeg har samme setup som du tenker å skaffe der. Personlig er jeg ganske fornøyd. Har mine høyttalere koblet til en marantz sr5013, men før det prøvde jeg ut onkyo txnr686 i en liten periode. Lydkvaliteten følte jeg var bedre hos onkyo, men med marantzen skjønte jeg at var av bedre kvalitet og rett og slett lettere å bruke. Den onkyoen du nevner der vil fungere med systemet ditt, men det skal være sagt at onkyo har et dårlig rykte når det kommer til ustabile hdmi porter. Uansett er det jo hele opp til deg. Lyd er såklart subjektivt. Før du eventuelt kjøper noe brukt på finn, synes jeg du burde teste litt ut andre merker hos f.eks hifiklubben eller oslohificenter og kanskje finne litt ut av hva du selv foretrekker. Enhver receiver vil få samme høyttaler til å høres annerledes ut. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 6:44 PM, HenrikTJ said:

Hei Eivind.

Tenker vi tar denne på norsk jeg. Jeg har samme setup som du tenker å skaffe der. Personlig er jeg ganske fornøyd. Har mine høyttalere koblet til en marantz sr5013, men før det prøvde jeg ut onkyo txnr686 i en liten periode. Lydkvaliteten følte jeg var bedre hos onkyo, men med marantzen skjønte jeg at var av bedre kvalitet og rett og slett lettere å bruke. Den onkyoen du nevner der vil fungere med systemet ditt, men det skal være sagt at onkyo har et dårlig rykte når det kommer til ustabile hdmi porter. Uansett er det jo hele opp til deg. Lyd er såklart subjektivt. Før du eventuelt kjøper noe brukt på finn, synes jeg du burde teste litt ut andre merker hos f.eks hifiklubben eller oslohificenter og kanskje finne litt ut av hva du selv foretrekker. Enhver receiver vil få samme høyttaler til å høres annerledes ut. 

Hei Henrik!

Etter å ha utforsket litt andre muligheter, tror jeg at jeg har landet på Denon AVR-X2600H, dersom det ikke kommer noen tilbud ila. Black-week som ikke går an å avslå. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eivind said:

Hei Henrik!

Etter å ha utforsket litt andre muligheter, tror jeg at jeg har landet på Denon AVR-X2600H, dersom det ikke kommer noen tilbud ila. Black-week som ikke går an å avslå. 

Flott receiver det! Ja, du får holde øynene åpne for noen black friday og cyber monday tilbud. Men i tilfelle du ikke klarer å vente så kan du alltids kjøpe den denon receiveren med en gang. Så vidt jeg vet selges den bare hos hifiklubben i Norge og hvis de har samme kampanje som i fjor, så kan du få tilbake pris-differansen i penger på et produkt du kjøpte til full pris men som har blitt nedsatt i pris pga black friday...