Perfect Home Theater Size?

IndyKlipschFan

I am building a dedicated Home Theater in my next house. I wanted to know, (basically for family use, occasional friends over for sporting events and movies) what, in your expereince, is the "ideal" room size/ screen size.( you can include couches vs theater seats too in this thread.

I will ask later what speakers...Lets keep this discussion about room size in this thread. I assume over a 10x 10 room and not bigger than say a 24x 30 too...LOL.

And anyone whose current room just doesn't feel right, size wise, what would you do different next time.

I am not looking for a 100k dollar esoteric room here. I am looking for real examples on a family style average budget.

Thanks in advance!!

Indy

I just built a house and designed the HT room from the beginning. You will be glad you did this.

I think you will need to ask yourself, what size screen you want and what speakers you plan to end up with?

I built my room for Khorns, and I wanted a big front projection unit. My screen is 65" x 120".

Being an old 2 chanel guy, I designed the room for a flat response, HT functionality second. My room is 22' wide x 34' deep. It calculates to only 3 single nulls. No double or tripple nulls. If you want the spreadsheet that calculates this, email me. You may find moving in your wall 6" may make it sound better. If your building, the time to make these changes is when it is on paper.

I have two couches located 16-17' from the front wall, so the front of my room is cozy. When we have people over, the adults sit in the couches and kids sit on the floor in front. There is enough room to re arrange the furnature in the future. I do not have any stadium seating, I don't like my HT rooms to have this. I have put our excersize equipment in the rear of the room, so we can work out while the kids watch movies. I had pictures posted here months ago, they were lost in the site upgrade.

A few tips are, run pvc conduit in the walls to all your speaker locations, you then can repull whatever in the future.

Run two conduits to your projector location. One for power and one for data.

Have the electricians run a separate (or more) isolated 20 Amp circuit(s) to your component location. This way you can isolate any line noise from the rest of your home.

JM

I am building a room on my place that is 30'w x 25'd x 9.25'h to house my Khorns and little brothers. I will let everyone know how it sounds. They finished the block today so it wont be long now. I hope to be into it in about 4-5 weeks.

I pretty much calulated how far away from the tv I wanted to be and made that the center of the room where the khorns will point to. It was anything majorly calculated for sound properties but from what I have read I think it should work ok.

EJ

Indy,

I have a front projector and if you even think you may consider this in the future, you will want something larger than 10X10 if you can afford it. My room is roughly 23X10 and I definitly wish I had about 5 more feet in each direction. Especially in width. 10X10 is NOT that big. You have to realize you have to get your furniture, speakers, well all your HT gear for that matter. It would be rather too cozy.

My suggest would be this, build a bigger room and forget about pretty walls. meaning skimp on any decor for now. But definitly a bigger room.

Just my two cents.1.gif

Here are the top 10 recommended room dimensions by acoustician M.M. Louden.

THe hieght of the room being 1, here are the best lengths and widths.

Length Width

1. 1.9 1.4

2. 1.9 1.3

3. 1.5 2.1

4. 1.5 2.2

5. 1.2 1.5

6. 1.4 2.1

7. 1.1 1.4

8. 1.8 1.4

9. 1.6 2.1

10. 1.2 1.4

These are only proportions, so for example if you had a 10 foot high ceiling, you would want a 19 foot deep and 14 foot wide room. And generally the bigger the room the better. Vualted ceilings are always good too (eliminates floor to ceiling echo). I obtained this information through a book called "The Complete guide to high end audio" by Robert Harley. Chapter 4 contains a ton of information about designing an acousticly suited room. I would highly reccomend it.

Stephen

Thats interesting. It almost looks like a "reverse" of the old Golden mean numbers.

I am not familuar with that author. Can you double check to see if that is recomended for an audio application with sources in both the front and rear. The Golden mean rooms are genenrally good for 2 CH where the speakers are in the front corners only, but generally faulter with speakers in the rear like HT !!!!!

Our old friend HornED ((where ever he is now)) had an interesting post last spring about HT rooms designed in a diamond shape instead of rectangular. Anyhow, This makes a lot of sence since the room is wider in the listening position creating a wider soundstage (sweet spot). My next HT project will probably be done using this type of design.

JM