Tidal versus Spotify Premium

Fido

I listened to the Kefs at Magnolia HiFI last year and wasnt blown away. Good snooth sounding speakers but just didn't quite do it for me.  Ill take my Forte III all day over the Kefs. If you play your files over an android device chances are you top out at 44.1k.  PC based is the way to go. 

I listen to Tidal through a Oppo Sonica and through a mac mini. Both are very good if not excellent. With the Sonica, I am running xlr out to a C2500 and with the mac mini digital out to the dac on a MAC6700. The Sonica sounds better but the gear and room are also better. It's a shame Oppo quit. That unit is awesome.

9 hours ago, Kalifornian said:

I listened to the Kefs at Magnolia HiFI last year and wasnt blown away. Good snooth sounding speakers but just didn't quite do it for me.  Ill take my Forte III all day over the Kefs. If you play your files over an android device chances are you top out at 44.1k.  PC based is the way to go. 

The KEF LS50W speakers have built in DACs and DSP and adjusting them is required to get them to perform up to the hype. On my desk in my office playing Tidal or Spotify and dialed in with the KEF IOS app they sound fantastic. I have my large floor standing Fortes in my living room and have a large HSU sub I use with them hooked to a nice hybrid Mcintosh amp and that setup is also fantastic in a more whole house music kind of way. There really is no comparison and I use more sources downstairs where my Dual Turntable is and my record collection. 

Totally different settings and goals. Im just trying to get the best sound of the equipment and medium I'm using. Thanks everyone for the input. There are so many ways to go with this hifi hobby.

4 hours ago, Kalifornian said:

Id definately be interested in hearing the Kefs with the dsp because they are some sexy looking speakers and honestly I was planning on getting them.

My KEF LS50 Wireless are so much better once you use the KEF App to choose wether they are wall mounted, desk mounted or stand mounted and the differences between a life room and  a fairly dead room and setting up crossover frequencies. Without those setting being right I think they sound mediocre. Setup correctly the music they reproduce is stunning.They punch well above their wight.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, Fido said:

My KEF LS50 Wireless are so much better once you use the KEF App to choose wether they are wall mounted, desk mounted or stand mounted and the differences between a life room and  a fairly dead room and setting up crossover frequencies. Without those setting being right I think they sound mediocre. Setup correctly the music they reproduce is stunning.They punch well above their wight.

If YOU can't hear a difference and the music sounds good to YOU just enjoy.