McIntosh XR-16 speakers anyone familiar ??

Hey all, I can across a set of McIntosh XR16 speakers for sale, 12” woofer, 8” mid and two tweeters. They look nice but I am

not familiar with their speaker line, I called McIntosh and they said they were made in mid 80s. If anyone has heard them or has any information I’d appreciate it, he is asking around $500, thanks Tom 

• Like 1

I remember them.  Don't think I ever heard them.   McIntosh speakers were known for LOTS of drivers, maybe an attempt to reduce cone motion to lower distortion, or to raise power handling.  Wonder if lobing was audible?  I remember thinking they were expensive for what they looked like. 

Go listen.  You might like them.  I'm sure they don't suck, if they are working correctly. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I remember them.  Don't think I ever heard them.   McIntosh speakers were known for LOTS of drivers, maybe an attempt to reduce cone motion to lower distortion, or to raise power handling.  Wonder if lobing was audible?  I remember thinking they were expensive for what they looked like. 

Go listen.  You might like them.  I'm sure they don't suck, if they are working correctly. 

Cool thanks for your feedback, I really want the KLF 20 but I cannot find for sale local for a decent price. 

19 minutes ago, JohnA said:

From what I could find they sold for $995 each in the mid 80s which certainly was not cheap 

For those of us unfamiliar with them ... 

Crossover frequencies: 250Hz, 1.4kHz and 7kHz
Impedance: 8 ohms
Output: 89dB @1w/1m
Power rating: 150w
Size: 35-5/8"H, 17-1/2"W and 11-3/4"D
Weight: 75 lb

Sorry, did not find a freq range

Sorry, no freq range

Vintage McIntosh XR-16 Speakers image 0

Vintage McIntosh XR-16 Speakers image 1

sorry about the "rotted" surrounds :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emile said:

For those of us unfamiliar with them ... 

Crossover frequencies: 250Hz, 1.4kHz and 7kHz
Impedance: 8 ohms
Output: 89dB @1w/1m
Power rating: 150w
Size: 35-5/8"H, 17-1/2"W and 11-3/4"D
Weight: 75 lb

Sorry, did not find a freq range

Sorry, no freq range

Vintage McIntosh XR-16 Speakers image 0

Vintage McIntosh XR-16 Speakers image 1

sorry about the "rotted" surrounds :D 

Are those yours? Are you familiar with them? I am going to get either RF7 1 or these I think, may have to replace a woofer in the RF7 if I can find one, what do you think? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wnabphil78@gmail said:

Are those yours? Are you familiar with them? I am going to get either RF7 1 or these ...

Sorry; no and no.  Did hear a set of XR-6's which are a bit bigger and sounded awesome ... grilles on those are on a "hinged door."

Interesting speakers ... would at least give them a "listen."  But, watch out ... no idea if you can find any replacement parts. Certainly different than RF7's which you can buy anytime, any day :D  Good luck :) 

Add-on ... but you will be missing "in your face" horns :( 

• Confused 1

Watched a pair of those go at auction a while back for $300.  I thought about it for 2 seconds max.  Estate auction.  Wanted the Mc amp and pre which went insanely high.  Same dude bought it all.  Poor guy is prolly using string and tin cans now trying to save up his money to repair it all.  Just solve your horneyness and find an older pair of Heresy's!  Just my $.02 worth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Emile said:

Sorry; no and no.  Did hear a set of XR-6's which are a bit bigger and sounded awesome ... grilles on those are on a "hinged door."

Interesting speakers ... would at least give them a "listen."  But, watch out ... no idea if you can find any replacement parts. Certainly different than RF7's which you can buy anytime, any day :D  Good luck :) 

Add-on ... but you will be missing "in your face" horns :( 

Very true, hmmm 🤔 gotta make a decision

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...