Heschl’s gyrus

Bosco-d-gama

Heschl’s gyrus is that part of our brain that reacts, responds, pulsates to musical stimulation.......... and it is being studied more in-depth than ever before. Neural studies are now being augmented by artificial intelligence analysis. Russian scientists recently reported that they can reproduce what a person is seeing using AI analysis of brain waves gathered from the visual cortex - using non-invasive methods. They claim they can recreate what a person is ‘seeing’ using eeg methodology. USC is studying human emotions evoked by different pieces of music by evaluating the electrical activity in Heschl’s gyrus. Why do some songs make us happy while others make us sad, nostalgic, etc? It has more to do with the character of the music than the lyrics. It is a little scary to think that eventually a human may be able to get ‘programmed’ as science discerns more about what makes our thought processes shift into ‘action’ status.

USC claims they can make us sad or happy by how music is crafted. I think we sort of understood this already but now it is quantified and will be utilized in ever more affective ways. What’s next?

1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

USC claims they can make us sad or happy by how music is crafted.

i think they’re onto something ... i get sad and/or angry whenever i hear Fleetwood Mac or Bruce Springsteen.  i’d rather listen to a glutton loudly chewing candy corn or circus peanuts. 

41 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i think they’re onto something ... i get sad and/or angry whenever i hear Fleetwood Mac or Bruce Springsteen.  i’d rather listen to a glutton loudly chewing candy corn or circus peanuts. 

I agree with you. I’d have to believe that this study does not include listening habits adversely conditioned to a genre or an artist. It would be interesting to ask how well ‘rap’ is received by any thinking brain. Are listening preferences geographic, gender or generationally related? But y’know the 1st industry to use the data will be advertisers jamming up their newest ‘jingle’.

19 minutes ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

I agree with you. I’d have to believe that this study does not include listening habits adversely conditioned to a genre or an artist. It would be interesting to ask how well ‘rap’ is received by any thinking brain. Are listening preferences geographic, gender or generationally related? But y’know the 1st industry to use the data will be advertisers jamming up their newest ‘jingle’.

Nothing really new there.  More nefarious applications like the (fictional) treadstone project look a lot more possible though.