Building another turntable

joshnich

Looks very cool. So do you favor mixed wood, or laminates and why.  And what kind of woods do you use?

I ask because I tried redoing a plinth for a Technics SP25 but wasn't happy with it, and was thinking of making another attempt.

On 11/7/2019 at 1:32 PM, thebes said:

Looks very cool. So do you favor mixed wood, or laminates and why.  And what kind of woods do you use?

I ask because I tried redoing a plinth for a Technics SP25 but wasn't happy with it, and was thinking of making another attempt.

Not being much a woodworker myself, I have more the most part had plinths made by others. The tts that I have done have been a Linn LP12, Lenco, and AR's. For all of them there is a pretty robust community of people who build them. The best plinths and the ones that are the most robust have been laminated. I bought this one from a guy in Moldova. The heavy acoustically dead plinth is important for the Lenco because it is an idler drive. I would think that would also be the need for the direct drive SP25. If I had router skills ( or maybe even a router!) I would certainly think that a block of hard wood would certainly work as well. I think the ultimate material would be slate or some other stone. I know there are companies that sell Lenco based turntables with slate plinths and they are pretty cool. My main turntable is a PTP Solid 9 and it is a Lenco based turntable from the Netherlands. The builder, Peter Reinders fabricates the plinths from Corian - the countertop material from DuPont. It is heavy as all get out and it is can be machined easier than most stone. 

Not sure if this answers your question!!