Need Help With Crossover Rebuild

kevinmi

Sorry for another crossover thread. Here is my situation--I have an older pair of crossovers for my modded K-horns that are the universal type, with crossover points of 400 and 4500. It has the 1.5 mHy iron core inductor for the woofer. Would I be better off to swap it out with a 2.5? How will that affect the bass response?

Also, I'm going to swap out the caps for a better grade .I've been looking at the Jantzen Alumen Z-caps. Has anyone tried these in their crossover? Any suggestions on your favorite sounding caps? It currently has Gen 1 Sonicaps.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Need more data.  Which specific crossover network do you have?  ALK's Universal doesn't use a 1.5 uH on the woofer. 

However, each crossover network design is unique unto itself.  So, changing one part to the value used in another design is sure to fail. 

My favorite caps are film and foil from Hovland.  They are difficult to find these days, but others aren't.  Try not to use metalized film.  They are just O.K. 

16 hours ago, garyrc said:

I can't answer your question, but are your present crossovers Klipsch stock models that were used in the AK4 and the AK5?   I thought they had crossovers of 450 and  4500, and very steep ones. 

Just curious. 

My original crossovers were aa. My modified K-Horns have nothing in common with stock units, therefore resulting in the need for a little more flexibility in attenuation. I have a pair of  crossovers built by DeanG that cross at 400 and 6000, plus this pair that cross at 400 and 4500. I'm doing a comparison of the two crossover points, but eventually one pair of crossovers will reside in another pair of modified K-Horns that I'm building for a much smaller room.

Al decided he wanted to count the voice coil inductance as part of the filter. Since the voice coil comes in at 1mH, he subtracts that out. Personally, I would add it back in and use 2.5mH.

The Jantzen Alumen Z-cap is a well made film and foil. Good choice.

What value is your primary cap? 47uF or something else? You'll have to use a different type of capacitor at that position or parallel up a bunch of film and foils (expensive).  

4 hours ago, Deang said:

Al decided he wanted to count the voice coil inductance as part of the filter. Since the voice coil comes in at 1mH, he subtracts that out. Personally, I would add it back in and use 2.5mH.

The Jantzen Alumen Z-cap is a well made film and foil. Good choice.

What value is your primary cap? 47uF or something else? You'll have to use a different type of capacitor at that position or parallel up a bunch of film and foils (expensive).  

Primary cap is 48uf. I think it's a Dayton. I was thinking of using the same Solens cap that is in my crossover you built, unless you have a better recommendation.