The Klipsch Audio Community
ClaudeJ1

DaveA's Fabulous New Improved Super Tweeters 2.0

Glad you posted all of this.  I almost pulled the trigger a week ago when I PM'd you @Dave A patience over impulse, I may have to try that again. 

3 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Glad you posted all of this.  I almost pulled the trigger a week ago when I PM'd you @Dave A patience over impulse, I may have to try that again. 

Buy. You won't regret.  Smooth, extended and hyper detailed.  I've been trying to fault them. I cannot.  Improvement in EVERY way over two sets of tweeters for minimal cost. Can't go wrong. 

• Like 1

As soon as the new ones are rolling out, they will be ordered.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pete H said:

You will be waiting a long time for further changes. I can't think of what else there is to change after this. The straight wall in the clamp plate was the only suggestion to change something and I really think this will be it.

I have to laugh about mind sets over this whole episode. I designed something and it worked very well and so there I stayed with the first design. When this modification was suggested they asked why the bolt on clamp plate and not just bolting the driver to the horn lens. Of course this is impossible to do but I thought OK if I make the clamp plate the bottom 1/2" of the horn lens body the clamp plate can become a part of the horn lens cavity itself and I can do away with the straight wall in the clamp plate. It never occurred to me to do this from the beginning so here we are after I was prodded into rethinking what I had started with.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ron E said:

Would these be good for a pair of k402 MEHs with EV DH1A drivers? If so would a passive crossover from the k402 work, or would I need a 3 way Xilica, and another amp for the these?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Rather than "Ram and Cram" high frequencies from DH1A's TITANIUM diaphragm with narrower dispersion and ringing above 8 Khz. why would you not use the very best super tweeter and driver for a high frequency extension SPECIFICALLY designed for the EXTREMELY short wavelengths? I guess this makes the question rhetorical.

As to the network, since the DH1A/K402 combination, you  can simply use a single capacitor on these tweeters. I would recommend the DE-10 with the LMAHL because you might want to cross as low as 3-4 Khz., which is there the "NATURAL ROLLOFF" on the DH1A occurs at about 6 db per octave. Plus the DE-10 more closely matches the output sensitivity of the DH1A, which is very high. BTW, when Roy Delgado tested my DH1A/EV horn combo in 2008, in Indy's Anechoic chamber, he said that it's "a very good driver." I have found no evidence or listening tests that disagree with his opinion.........AND he's the K402 designer!

I found it to be better and cheaper than the JBL equivalents. Not only that, but John Pope wrote his PhD thesis on Tractrix Horns being vastly superior to Exponential ones with the same DH1A driver. He used Klipsch's Anechoic chamber in Hope for the testing. With both mathematics AND measurements, he was finally able to convince PWK of their undeniable superiority over the traditional Exponential Horns, which is quite a feat, since PWK was so difficult about changing his mind on anything, as I recall from our conversations during the day I spent with him.

Full Disclosure: I am definitely biased towards 3-way All HORN systems with Horn Subs, except if you go active with TAD "unobtanium" drivers. But even then, you get a lower Mid Xover point in a K402, while creating a much broader dispersion angle 6 Khz. and Above by using a Super Tweeter. I've done both on a my Jubillees!!

• Like 1

OK, a basic and possibly dumb question (which I'm good at)....Can you take a Crites CT-120 that is installed in a La Scala or Khorn, and replace the lens with the new Super Duper V2 MAHL, without any physical alteration to the install and without alteration to an AA network?

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

OK, a basic and possibly dumb question (which I'm good at)....Can you take a Crites CT-120 that is installed in a La Scala or Khorn, and replace the lens with the new Super Duper V2 MAHL, without any physical alteration to the install and without alteration to an AA network?

I've been quietly waiting for someone else to ask this very question. :)

51 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Can you take a Crites CT-120 that is installed in a La Scala or Khorn, and replace the lens with the new Super Duper V2 MAHL, without any physical alteration to the install and without alteration to an AA network?

Yes.

If I'm wrong, we can just call it a dumb guess.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Deang said:

Yes.

Dean, I would expect nothing less…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I've been quietly waiting for someone else to ask this very question. :)

Quiet and a smiley face in one post, from you?  You OK?

Just sent @Dave A a PM to get a set of these as soon as he starts cranking them out!

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

My question would be WHY? Maybe to compare for future mods?? Are you as curious as I am?

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

. . . PWK was so difficult about changing his mind on anything, as I recall from our conversations during the day I spent with him.

Although fundamentally conservative, he could be persuaded to change his mind.  After all, he switched from Presbyterian to Episcopal.

10 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

My question would be WHY?

The CT-120 from Bob has a fundamentally similar design to a stock tweeter horn, right?

28 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Although fundamentally conservative, he could be persuaded to change his mind.  After all, he switched from Presbyterian to Episcopal.

Of course. It took evidence of measurements and mathematics to do it. Don Keele, who won an Academy Award, presented by a young Charlize Theron, for the JBL 2360 Horn, could not convince PWK of anything, and he's the guy who wrote "What's so Sacred about Exponential Horns." He also designed a ton of other good stuff, with and without horns. I met him several times and had lunch with just he and I once. He's an interesting character for sure!

5 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

The CT-120 from Bob has a fundamentally similar design to a stock tweeter horn, right?

I would not go that far. It's a good retrofit, but the fact that it uses the B&C DE-120 Driver's built in phase plug and throat, means it's nothing more than a different lens from DaveA's. BTW, I can't say anything bad about Bob or Bob's CT-120 because it measures very well, since I had one only long enough to measure it. I never heard how they sound however, which I'm sure others can attest to that.

1 minute ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I would not go that far. It's a good retrofit, but the fact that it uses the B&C DE-120 Driver's built in phase plug and throat, means it's nothing more than a different lens from DaveA's. BTW, I can't say anything bad about Bob or Bob's CT-120 because it measures very well, since I had one only long enough to measure it. I never heard how they sound however, which I'm sure others can attest to that.

perfectly fair. To a dum dum like me it looks just like a stock lens, which is why i'm interested in the MAHL since so many people seem to like it over stock and I have the B&C DE-120 already in place via the kit from Bob.

I have added some additional descriptive text to my very first post, in case you have not been notified, so please go back and read.

18 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

perfectly fair. To a dum dum like me it looks just like a stock lens, which is why i'm interested in the MAHL since so many people seem to like it over stock and I have the B&C DE-120 already in place via the kit from Bob.

Well, it appears that now you have 3 choices.

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Yes.

That's a very good "dumb guess." Or like Christoph Waltz, the actor, famously said in Quentin Tarantinos alternate reality movie, "Inglorious Basterds,"   "That's a BINGO!"

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes the new lens is a direct drop in replacement and will reuse the existing screw holes from the original K-77's. It will have the mouth of the horn flush with the front of the motorboard and will not require Zee brackets or cabinet modification and you need do nothing to your crossover. On AA's which are my favorites with the DE120 I take the Zeners out of the circuit since you don't need that protection any longer. The DE120's you have will fit my lenses.

I must be the master of dumb answers as my wife often looks at me like I am, well ah, well like I am dumb.

• Haha 1