The Klipsch Audio Community
ClaudeJ1

DaveA's Fabulous New Improved Super Tweeters 2.0

9 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

why would one pick the small vs large MAHL? Is it simply front vs rear mount?

The small MAHL replaces the K-77 and the large MAHL fits the K-792,79,76 etc next size up. The K-77 mounts on the back side of the cutout and the large MAHL has the flange and front mounts to motorboards.  Both are direct drop ins for different speakers.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dave A said:

The small MAHL replaces the K-77 and the large MAHL fits the K-792,79,76 etc next size up. The K-77 mounts on the back side of the cutout and the large MAHL has the flange and front mounts to motorboards.  Both are direct drop ins for different speakers.

I look forward to the small mahl v2's availability. :)

11 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I look forward to the small mahl v2's availability. :)

Mounting them in my Super Cornwall 1.0's as we speak. Will probably upgrade to the LMAHL's in V2.0 to go with the bigger mid horn. My fist version will be "drop in play."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

I must be the master of dumb answers as my wife often looks at me like I am, well ah, well like I am dumb.

You may be the master in Tenn. , but I am certainly the master in IN.........

The new things like these from Dave are great, they keep parts of this forum fresh and interesting,   I appreciate your time and efforts Dave.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

You may be the master in Tenn. , but I am certainly the master in IN.........

The new things like these from Dave are great, they keep parts of this forum fresh and interesting,   I appreciate your time and efforts Dave.

Using the first pair of sMAHLs in my Super Cornwalls. Got one done now, working on the other. Fits perfectly.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:28 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Using the first pair of sMAHLs in my Super Cornwalls. Got one done now, working on the other. Fits perfectly.

can we see pictures

6 hours ago, Randyh said:

can we see pictures

Go to the Super Cornwall 1.0 post. Not calling you lazy or anything............but strong hints may apply, and actually LOOK at the first post. Otherwise, DaveA has plenty of photos which makes mine redundant.

On 11/8/2019 at 11:53 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Rather than "Ram and Cram" high frequencies from DH1A's TITANIUM diaphragm with narrower dispersion and ringing above 8 Khz. why would you not use the very best super tweeter and driver for a high frequency extension SPECIFICALLY designed for the EXTREMELY short wavelengths? I guess this makes the question rhetorical.

As to the network, since the DH1A/K402 combination, you  can simply use a single capacitor on these tweeters. I would recommend the DE-10 with the LMAHL because you might want to cross as low as 3-4 Khz., which is there the "NATURAL ROLLOFF" on the DH1A occurs at about 6 db per octave. Plus the DE-10 more closely matches the output sensitivity of the DH1A, which is very high. BTW, when Roy Delgado tested my DH1A/EV horn combo in 2008, in Indy's Anechoic chamber, he said that it's "a very good driver." I have found no evidence or listening tests that disagree with his opinion.........AND he's the K402 designer!

I found it to be better and cheaper than the JBL equivalents. Not only that, but John Pope wrote his PhD thesis on Tractrix Horns being vastly superior to Exponential ones with the same DH1A driver. He used Klipsch's Anechoic chamber in Hope for the testing. With both mathematics AND measurements, he was finally able to convince PWK of their undeniable superiority over the traditional Exponential Horns, which is quite a feat, since PWK was so difficult about changing his mind on anything, as I recall from our conversations during the day I spent with him.

Full Disclosure: I am definitely biased towards 3-way All HORN systems with Horn Subs, except if you go active with TAD "unobtanium" drivers. But even then, you get a lower Mid Xover point in a K402, while creating a much broader dispersion angle 6 Khz. and Above by using a Super Tweeter. I've done both on a my Jubillees!!

Running a similar set up, ev dh1a and de 10 tweeter. Would a 4.7 capacitor work or should I go with a little higher capacitor Thanks!#

!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ljk said:

Running a similar set up, ev dh1a and de 10 tweeter. Would a 4.7 capacitor work or should I go with a little higher capacitor Thanks!#

!

Looks like a good place to start. Go for it. Assuming you are using a CD horn with that driver and using the natural 3 Khz. roll off that happens with al drivers without shelving EQ.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Looks like a good place to start. Go for it. Assuming you are using a CD horn with that driver and using the natural 3 Khz. roll off that happens with al drivers without shelving EQ.

Thanks claude, going to order a pair of 4.7 tonight.

• Like 2

They have arrived!  I know that @ClaudeJ1 got the first pair, but I think I got the second.  Can't wait to test these out and see what they can do.  @Dave A incredible machining!  They are beautiful and the packing (tomb) was excellent.  I can't wait to give them a whirl and see what they are all about.  Thanks! 

MAHL Picture.jpg

• Like 4

K79 with Crites Titanium diaphragm and Beyma CP25 which have been my go to tweeters.  I will, just might take a couple of days.  Tomorrow is Granddaughter day and I love audio, but my Maylie comes first.  

• Like 2

The LMAHL2's will probably end up in the C2's with 3015 Kappa Lites, Goldwood 450 horn lenses with Faital Pro 200's if @ClaudeJ1 would quit dicking around and actually work on something.  :P

He knows that I'm just kidding.

• Haha 2