The Klipsch Audio Community
ClaudeJ1

DaveA's Fabulous New Improved Super Tweeters 2.0

1 hour ago, Audio Flynn said:

Wow Almas Hi Fi perhaps in Dearborn? That is where I got my used Chorus IIs in 2000 I think. Since downsizing to the farm I have stayed with the Belles. I do have a very long wall in the living room I never had before.  I have avoided upgrade its for over s decade since my Dean network upgrades. I would like to try tweeter and mid horn upgrades to the Belles. I wonder what a Chorus II would sound like with a CW 4 mid horn? Great posts everyone!

I met Mrs. Almas. Fascinating lady. I photographed her grandson's wedding. He had Khorns driven by McIntosh 225.

2 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

I wonder what a Chorus II would sound like with a CW 4 mid horn? Great posts everyone!

You would have to have a complete new motorboard for that. For the first time retrofit kits wont be available for earlier CW's because they won't fit.

22 minutes ago, Dave A said:

You would have to have a complete new motorboard for that. For the first time retrofit kits wont be available for earlier CW's because they won't fit.

Hmmmmm. I see a motorboard market in your future!

6 hours ago, Dave A said:

I COULD do that you know.

As I was typing that yes, it dawned on me that there would probably be various people from various schools that would pay a premium to have it tagged like that.  I suppose you'd have to get permission or pay some form of licensing fee in order to keep your nose clean???

We presume you like a clean nose?

2 minutes ago, Coytee said:

As I was typing that yes, it dawned on me that there would probably be various people from various schools that would pay a premium to have it tagged like that.  I suppose you'd have to get permission or pay some form of licensing fee in order to keep your nose clean???

We presume you like a clean nose?

Not so. There is a particular font or logo that may be copywritten but I can write University of Michigan 12 Ohio State 43 any time I want.

Just now, jimjimbo said:

Yea, but they would go really cheap after the semi-final.

Yes but not to the original buyer heh heh.

Have you thought about anaodizing them black to match the midrange horns?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Let me ask you this. Would YOU be willing to pay another $50 to get an anodized set of tweeters if it ends up costing me that much to do adding in shipping two ways and the anodizing cost for small lots? 

• Like 1

Yes I would when I am ready to buy some, as I am unable to get them anodized here. The only thing I can get here is powder coating...which will not look as nice as anodized.

OK I will look into it but it will be a bit before I do. I am swamped right now.

• Like 1

It will be a while before I am ready...so no hurry, but you might find others that also would like to get them in black too (hence my question). One thing I found was that if you ask when they are doing a black run..you can sometimes get it thrown in for a nice discount too.

On 11/26/2019 at 11:01 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

PWK used to do this with his original K5j horn. Put a tweeter right in the middle of the mid horn....AND it was a "small" midrange horn compared to the K-402. Besides, your typical listening angle will NOT be along the Zero axis of the Mid Throat. Also, using a DE-110 driver, which is smaller than a DE-120, will allow for less physical interference with the midrange waveforms on an sMAHL lens. Audibility is subject to me simply saying "TRY IT," you might like it.

In case I didn't emphasize this enough, the K402 is about 6 times larger at the mouth than the old K5J, which I used to own also. So putting an sMAHL with a DE-110 or DE-111, in the center, will have MINIMAL affect on the perceived sound by percent area alone, which is in the low single digits, and even less when listening slightly off-axis. 

• Like 1

Once I get my MEHs completed... I will try one in one of my MEHs unless someone beats me to it.

In case I didn't emphasize this enough, the K402 is about 6 times larger at the mouth than the old K5J, which I used to own also. So putting an sMAHL with a DE-110 or DE-111, in the center, will have MINIMAL affect on the perceived sound by percent area alone, which is in the low single digits, and even less when listening slightly off-axis. 
I know I have seen it done in the old Western Electric horns...which is why I brought it up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ron E said:

I know I have seen it done in the old Western Electric horns...which is why I brought it up.

BTW Ron, does your Yamaha CX-A5100 handle Dolby Atmos?? I have the 5000 (no) and 5200 (yes), which is why I'm asking. All of them handle the super tweeter frequencies, however, just to make sure I don't pull this too far into the tangent sphere and derail this thread!

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

and derail this thread!

Oh, wait, I forgot, I am the ORIGINAL POSTER and THREAD STARTER, so I guess I can digress at any time, right?? LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PM'd

Why are you suggesting the 110 instead of the 120? I looked online and there is only a 5mm difference in diameter? Is 5mm going to make a difference in blocking?