The Klipsch Audio Community
ClaudeJ1

DaveA's Fabulous New Improved Super Tweeters 2.0

5 hours ago, Ron E said:

Why are you suggesting the 110 instead of the 120? I looked online and there is only a 5mm difference in diameter? Is 5mm going to make a difference in blocking?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

It you're going to do it, why not stack the deck in your favor from the get go? You will give up not HF sound performance by going to the smaller 110, so why not?  Since no blocking tweeter is best, shouldn't you make it as small as you can? When you look at the VOLUME of air it takes up (3 D) instead of just the diameter (2 D) it will work in your favor, making it even more marginal than with the 120. Just sayin'.....................

• Like 1

Just wondering, how do these tweeter horns compare to the Fastrac eliptrac hf horns that I currently have? They look very similar in design. Anyone compared the two?

On 12/25/2019 at 12:01 PM, hcnelly said:

Just wondering, how do these tweeter horns compare to the Fastrac eliptrac hf horns that I currently have? They look very similar in design. Anyone compared the two?

Yes. The curves are better with DaveA's sMAHLs. But the eliptrac is not bad, just not as good. Why do you care?

Thanks, I was just curious if I should try them out later down the road. I'm more than content with my eliptracs, but it's always nice to know where they stand. I'm always interested in upgrades for my Belle speakers. I didn't see any comparisons mentioned.

23 minutes ago, hcnelly said:

Thanks, I was just curious if I should try them out later down the road. I'm more than content with my eliptracs, but it's always nice to know where they stand. I'm always interested in upgrades for my Belle speakers. I didn't see any comparisons mentioned.

I've measured and listened to them both with the same DE-120 driver.

DaveA's improvement is in the dispersion angle being  wider, smoother, the curve being much flatter, and it works down to a  much lower frequency, allowing you to cross at 3 to 5 Kilohertz. rather than the customarily 6 Khz. on Klipsch Heritage speakers, for greater "micro detail" with his version 2.0. His mating to the driver is better, and the curve is quasi Tractrix, not CONICAL, like the Elliptrac, which is a misnomer at best.

But all are an improvement over the stock K77, which is not terrible.

I have looked but cannot seem to find pricing on these units, is it available or still too early in the process?

Thanks,
Ed