The Klipsch Audio Community
ClaudeJ1

DaveA's Fabulous New Improved Super Tweeters 2.0

5 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I'm just glad they made it safe. I lost sleep over how to pack them and then held my breath the entire time they were in transit.

Networks, especially expensive boutique ones, are officially my least favorite thing to ship.

I dunno...........I guess your never shipped an MCM 1900 stack have you??? Otherwise you might have a different statement here. LOL.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 3:39 PM, hcnelly said:

Thanks, I was just curious if I should try them out later down the road. I'm more than content with my eliptracs, but it's always nice to know where they stand. I'm always interested in upgrades for my Belle speakers. I didn't see any comparisons mentioned.

I forgot to add..........not that the High Frequencies care about this, BUT.....................DaveA's SOLID Aluminum Lenses are made of superior materials, not MDF, in case you forgot. Also the design and machining of the v 2.0's currently being sold are the most complex to do, but are  2 steps above the conical designs of the past in terms of bandwidth and smoothness with the identical drivers.

Just to the beginning of this thread and click of the the first JPG image. Simply compare the Brown and Yellow curves. You will see that the Conical Tweeter Lens is down about 4 db at the low end, less smooth (twin peaks), and less extended at the top AND bottom ends with the same DE-120 driver. The Yellow Curve clearly shows the sMahl 2.0 as the superior lens!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

LOL. You are hilarious. If you mean your "home" anechoic chamber, it means it's been warm enough to do outside measurements, eh? LOL.

You've never seen my home.....

But you are invited.....next year.....maybe.

Neither pair of these newly acquired vintage La Scalas will ever see the light of day.  They will be resting comfortably.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

You've never seen my home.....

But you are invited.....next year.....maybe.

Neither pair of these newly acquired vintage La Scalas will ever see the light of day.  They will be resting comfortably.

Gee, that's too bad. They should be playing with Authority and Micro Detail rather than resting..........comfortably or not.

Sorry, poor choice of words… They will be “thumping“ comfortably…

• Like 1

Bought a pair of these for my LaScalas, and wow, do they sound phenomenal! Just as described earlier in this post, extension is much better, hyper detailed and ultra smooth, just so much better in every way. @DaveA has really done it with the sMahl tweeter v2!

There is no doubt in my mind that with the level of Dave’s technology, that he can begin to personalize these things with a family photo, your initials or even a great rendition of your family pet… 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

so can these tweeters be used in Forte 1s or Heresy 1s?

On 4/2/2020 at 7:53 PM, jimjimbo said:

There is no doubt in my mind that with the level of Dave’s technology, that he can begin to personalize these things with a family photo, your initials or even a great rendition of your family pet… 

I did do a pair of earlier ones with music symbols on them.

I finally installed the walnut Super Tweeter horns in my LS II a few weeks back. Really was audible. Might have added some sparkle at the top end. The blend of mids and highs is seemless. Think the crossover in the LS II was optimized for this.

The original MAHL for LSII were installed before. Same B&C DE-120 drivers.

The high frequency coverage is wider, sitting outside of sweet spot is about the same, just sweet spot is wider. 

Definite step up.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 8:52 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Thanks Jim. I only seek "the truth" as best as I can. Curves never lie, but it's the EARS that rule! (OK, and the Brain too, of course).

I probably should have mentioned "the Wallet" also, besides the Brain. It's safe to ignore the WAF or GAF in this case, since women have better hearing than men and should EASILY approve the superior high frequency reproductions you will get from the "s" or "L" MAHLs with either driver.

4 hours ago, Panelhead said:

I finally installed the walnut Super Tweeter horns in my LS II a few weeks back. Really was audible. Might have added some sparkle at the top end. The blend of mids and highs is seemless. Think the crossover in the LS II was optimized for this.

The original MAHL for LSII were installed before. Same B&C DE-120 drivers.

The high frequency coverage is wider, sitting outside of sweet spot is about the same, just sweet spot is wider. 

Definite step up.

I'm glad to read that you actually EXPERIENCE Audibly, what the curves told us these 2.0's would do. Nice to see that the hearing matches the numbers, so to speak.

12 hours ago, Fido said:

so can these tweeters be used in Forte 1s or Heresy 1s?

You need the LMAHLs in those cases. Since it's true that the "bigger the horn, the better the horn" applies to Super Tweeters also. This case is no exception to the rule!

On 3/25/2020 at 2:02 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

DaveA's SOLID Aluminum Lenses are made of superior materials, not MDF, in case you forgot. Also the design and machining of the v 2.0's currently being sold are the most complex to do, but are  2 steps above the conical designs of the past in terms of bandwidth and smoothness with the identical drivers.

FYI, the current sMAHL 2.0 represents the 5th design iteration of the sMAHLS, and only the 2nd iteration of the LMAHLs, using similar methods of creation. Upon my advice, DaveA never released the first 3 sMAHLs at all. Only the 4th iteration was "good enough" to be released as the "1.0" from both a Technical and Marketing perspective combined.

The 2.0 (versions are about as good as they'll ever get with wider DISPERSION angles and will work with a whole bunch of different Drivers. ALL Tweeters, regardless of brand, type, or price get NARROWER dispersion as frequencies go up, so this latest, and probably LAST version of Super Tweeter Lenses from DaveA are "as good as it gets" just like the movie title!!

On 3/25/2020 at 1:57 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I dunno...........I guess your never shipped an MCM 1900 stack have you??? Otherwise you might have a different statement here. LOL.

That right there is funny!

• Like 1

Say a single set of MCM 1900's is easy peasy. It's when you have more than that that things can get crowded. All you need are pallet jacks and a forklift.

See my post in the 2 channel section of the Klipsch forum on my newly installed LMAHL Tweeters for my vintage Forte 1s that now sound so much clearer, and accurate with no shrill. Makes the other drivers sound so much better as the entire speakers are dramatically improved with Dave A,s fabulous tweeters

• Like 1