The Klipsch Audio Community
ClaudeJ1

DaveA's Fabulous New Improved Super Tweeters 2.0

The walnut smahl tweeter lenses I received  have a slightly rough texture inside the elliptical. Would there be a sonic improvement by sanding the wood to a smooth finish?

received my first pair of lenses from Dave for my 78 k-horns. when removing the plastic horn from Mr. Bob Crites setup ( DE-120 ) there is 2 small white spacers. sent Dave a PM and he said not to use them with his setup. and of course i did use them so now i will have to remove them. should help everyone to save some time

2nd set for my HSM's should look sweet

8 hours ago, RickD said:

The walnut smahl tweeter lenses I received  have a slightly rough texture inside the elliptical. Would there be a sonic improvement by sanding the wood to a smooth finish?

No effect as the surface effect you are talking about is very small. I would use a piece of Scotchbrite to smooth it out and not sandpaper unless very fine grit.

Word of warning about the Walnut or any other wood SMAHL's. The wood lens and aluminum clamp plate are machined as an assembly. If you decide to sand the lens down be very careful to NOT sand the very bottom of the lens cavity down or you will have a mismatch between the lens and aluminum plate. I use scotchbrite for this which will smooth it down but not open the hole up.

I know there are ways to build up a gloss or semi gloss surface with polyurethane and then buff it smooth. I had a guy I know do this with a pair of La Scalas and they looked sharp. There are reasons I do not offer these as a finished product has more than one. #1 is there are way to many finishes people might want and I am not a wood finishing expert. #2 is there are variances in wood I can't control and it amazes me how much variance there is in a little block of wood. This effects the finish too. 

The engraving on the top of the lens is another problem. There are pickouts at times that are bad enough I don't keep them but still have cut time tied up in them. The engraving is the very last step unfortunately. This is why I do not cut the Red Oak ones any more. When I have to throw half of them away because the top looks so rough it is just not worth it.

Now all that being said I am going to try some wood from Minnesota soon and see how that goes. Northern wood is supposed to be denser and more fine grained and I want to see how it does.

If you really insist on sanding I would use very fine grit flapper sander wheels small enough to fit in there and sand both the lens and clamp plate assembled but be aware that once again you can take off enough to maybe even change the sonic ability of the lens to some degree so be very judicious in what you attempt. 

Hi @Dave A

I am sure that for your wooden horn, one of the best woods would be grenadilla wood (be careful not ebony). It will be smooth and stable over the years, the downside is that it will be expensive, the benefit will be no loss, because it can be burnt. I don't know where you can find it in your home.

http://www.gibonus.com/pop.up/pro-panflute/Grenadill_Tenore.htm

You can burn it without shine, the benefit will be no loss.

https://www.rarewoodsusa.com/african-blackwood-dream-or-nightmare/

https://www.rarewoodsusa.com/product/blackwood-african/

21 hours ago, Dave A said:

The engraving on the top of the lens is another problem. There are pickouts at times that are bad enough I don't keep them but still have cut time tied up in them. The engraving is the very last step unfortunately. This is why I do not cut the Red Oak ones any more. When I have to throw half of them away because the top looks so rough it is just not worth it.

Personally I would like to see them without the engraving.  Different strokes I suppose.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Personally I would like to see them without the engraving.  Different strokes I suppose.

That would be easier on me but I kind of like it.

Pondering wood in general and I have a couple of pieces coming in soon. There is such variety and beauty and while I can't make a lot of matching or nearly matching SMAHL's I can make near matching pairs. Out of wood like this. Northern Black Walnut and supposed to be much denser. This pair 2" x 27" x 48" so a fair number of tweeters in there. 702.thumb.jpg.cf90366ebe1aa5e37ec1cb7554175ee2.jpg

• Like 2

You might try mesquite... harder than black walnut. I have a contact for some from the southwest that is ecologically harvested. Their prices aren't too high. (Unless I've lost the link...)

It's a beautiful wood.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:03 PM, Dave A said:

Next up we have the reworked small MAHL and since Claude got my only pair I have just the renderings from the CAD program but you will get the idea.

772604608_smallnewMAHLcomplete1.thumb.jpg.20a57a1bd62905b9e5a26c23906f3d6f.jpg655257014_smallnewMAHL2.thumb.jpg.3d66d530837676d183b3a8518aeb783c.jpg818436858_smallnewMAHL3.thumb.jpg.d11515ba479eda30e7b8a68219ec7694.jpg862335544_smallnewMAHL4.thumb.jpg.cb0a714a3c3abe2c53b8f76ef1b9119c.jpg

The clamp plates here allow for the following.

5mm hole on 3" or 76.2MM centers for drivers like the Faital HF 100 and 102 and the B&C DE10

5mm hole on 2.008" or 51mm  centers for drivers like the B&C DE110

5mm hole on 2.252" or 57.2mm hole centers for drivers like the B&C DE120

As in the larger MAHL the 1 3/8" 18tpi threaded clamp plates are being discontinued for lack of interest.

I am pretty excited about both these designs and sad to say Claude has heard them before I did and when I get done with this pile-o-stuff I am in the middle of the first order of business will be to find something to stick these into. Now Claude came up with the word fabulous and I expect he was grinning while he did so but everything he has told me says these are a solid improvement.

Dave, it wont let me PM you. Can you PM me? Looking for a set of these

On 6/11/2021 at 9:39 PM, Marvel said:

You might try mesquite... harder than black walnut. I have a contact for some from the southwest that is ecologically harvested. Their prices aren't too high. (Unless I've lost the link...)

It's a beautiful wood.

I have cooked with it before but never knew it grew large enough for lumber. The book matched pair above is fairly large and far bigger than anything I thought Mesquite ever was available in. HEY, I thought you were going to visit on one of your Nashville trips.

36 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I have cooked with it before but never knew it grew large enough for lumber. The book matched pair above is fairly large and far bigger than anything I thought Mesquite ever was available in. HEY, I thought you were going to visit on one of your Nashville trips.

@Seadog has acres of it, LOL.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

HEY, I thought you were going to visit on one of your Nashville trips

I was going to call you, too.

Mesquite... this is harvested through a program in Arizona. They have some large pieces...

https://www.mesquitedesign.com/

Curved+Glue+up4.png

Mesquite_Sawmill_02.png

Mesquite_Sawmill_01.png

48 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

@Seadog has acres of it, LOL.

I saw those sparsely populated trees of his in a picture. Now you want to see real trees and lush forests you have to leave Texas except for one little corner of the state. Drove across Texas twice and was amazed each time at the amount of stark arid terrain with little growing on it.

yea baby

$300 upgrade on a set of speakers that i've owned for like 10 years and have about an hour listening time

thanks Richieb 😄  or covid     i almost sold them

IMG_2290.JPG

1 hour ago, Budman said:

yea baby

$300 upgrade on a set of speakers that i've owned for like 10 years and have about an hour listening time

thanks Richieb 😄  or covid     i almost sold them

IMG_2290.JPG

Now hold on just a second here - a deal’s a deal. Regardless of Covid -. Thank you in advance for the modification - 😉