Buiding a pair of Klipschorns

shaftish

Hi,

I have a pair of La Scala and I´m considering to build a pair of Klipschorns, using all drivers and crossover from La scala. AL-3 filter. I know it is the wrong filter but I figure I can use it to start with.

All wood carpentry will be CNC machined so I do not worry about angles, they will be as precise as the blueprint says.

I thoughts, ideas about this? What am I missing? Is it a good idea, at all? The thing is that Klipschorns does not come out for sale in Scandinavia very often, so, why not use my driver and build a pair.

The plans for the Electro-Voice Georgian would be a good place to start.  I've pointed a few builders in that direction with good results.  FWIW, having perfectly cut panels isn't the only hurdle, the assembly is another potential pot-hole that can leave you in wishing you just bought a used pair for $1200 USD.

http://www.northreadingeng.com/Klipschorn_build/Klipschorn_build.html

I’ve had Khorns, and loved them.  That said, I would not try to build them.  IMO, the complexity is not offset by the benefits.  I would build horn or tapped horn subs to supplement your La Scalas.

If you haven’t seen the Volvotreter site, I suggest you check it out.  IIRC, a set of Khorn bass bin metric plans can be downloaded at the site.

http://wp.volvotreter.de/projects/th-2/

He built a Khorn bass bin years ago to use as a subwoofer but has since graduated to tapped horn subs.  Another longtime Khorn lover who would never make one, or even own one, is the forum’s own Claude @ClaudeJ1.  He may offer useful advice.

I admire anyone with the skill and patience to build a complex Khorn bass bin.  It makes some sense in your situation where used Khorn bass bins are relatively scarce. It makes no sense to me in US.

Whatever you do, please share your process and results.

• Like 2

Dana Moore's Soniphase speakers would be an easier build. You can get plans through his company:

http://www.soniphase.com/

I will make no comparisons between his designs and Klipsch's great design and engineering, but I believe Greg Roberts of Volti audio built a pair years ago and liked them. I have a set of plans but haven't built, as I really have no shop space and headed in a different direction.

Bruce

Since everyone is ignoring the OP's request to re-purpose the parts on hand and build a Klipschorn, let me jump in also. There are "plans" available for the Klipsch jubilee bass bins. These are not cut sheets and would need to be examined and some thought added. They are typically not fully accurate copies of the original Jubilee (the later ones have additional bracing etc), but they are probably close enough for a very good sounding cabinet. The footprint is comparable to the Klipschorn.

If the size of the tweeter horn (the big K-402) scares you, then you can substitute its little brother the K-510 (about 9 x 15 inches). This is a more manageable size (and will prevent divorce proceedings) and can be put in a cabinet similar in spirit to the Klipschorn. While it does not sound as good as the big  K-402, it is remarkably close considering its diminutive size. I used this combination for a number of years and was always impressed.

It will sound better than a Klipschorn (I have owned and enjoyed both). The woofers can be obtained (be careful of substitutions) and the horn is sometimes available on the used market (eg, an affordable pair was recently on eBay). The crossover is best done electronically and  the $300 Behringer DCX2496 is a decent entry model (and can be upgraded later on if desired). Many other affordable choices on the tweeter driver and crossover.

This is just food for thought.

God Luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I’ve had Khorns, and loved them.  That said, I would not try to build them.  IMO, the complexity is not offset by the benefits.  I would build horn or tapped horn subs to supplement your La Scalas.

If you haven’t seen the Volvotreter site, I suggest you check it out.  IIRC, a set of Khorn bass bin metric plans can be downloaded at the site.

http://wp.volvotreter.de/projects/th-2/

He built a Khorn bass bin years ago to use as a subwoofer but has since graduated to tapped horn subs.  Another longtime Khorn lover who would never make one, or even own one, is the forum’s own Claude @ClaudeJ1.  He may offer useful advice.

I admire anyone with the skill and patience to build a complex Khorn bass bin.  It makes some sense in your situation where used Khorn bass bins are relatively scarce. It makes no sense to me in US.

Whatever you do, please share your process and results.

I agree, just add the proper horn loaded subwoofer to fill the bottom end for best results.

I recommend one of these.

If I had a CNC machine to cut the panels, I would accept the challenge of assembly.  After all, this was a route often taken years ago.  So I don't see why it would be any different today,  especially if you have the means to do so.  Good luck and please post pics of your process.  You have to decide on what your experience level is when assembling something such as the Klipschhorns. 

6 hours ago, John Warren said:

wishing you just bought a used pair for $1200 USD.

Maybe be hard to come by in 

7 hours ago, shaftish said:

in Scandinavia 

Also, I would consider Tom's advice as well, heck for fun, his and Marvels. 

I completely missed the part about being located in Scandinavia.

In that case, go with the Jubilee bass bins. Sell the mid and tweeter and use those funds to buy a used Electrovoice HP640 horn and do this as a two-way (they were a popular horn and can probably be found in Europe). For the driver a EV DH1A (with an OEM diaphragm) or the JBL 2445 or 46 drivers would be good (there are a ton of them on the used market - get a OEM diaphragm). Of course there are other drivers, but I am trying to be kind to your budget. 

Okay, have I completely messed up your plans with an expensive alternative ? Sorry

Good Luck,

-Tom

Jubilee bashorns you say, hmm. They must take up larger foorspace than a pair of Khorns?

I´m all set for selling my La Scalas and try to fin a "real" pair of Khorns. They are out there. I think it will not be worth the hassle to build them. If I would deside to try to sell Khorn clones I think they will be poorly recieved on the market. A fun build thou.

But Jubilee is a different animal... They are not to be found in my region. But they look huge, I don´t think I have corners for them to fit nicely.

For now, this weekend I will get my dream amp, McIntosh Mc275. Will connect it to either my Forte 1 or my Chorus II, depending on who sounds the best.

My Chorus is on a remake. Previous owner painted them black, a nice walnut speaker haha. So, after sanding I will oil them. Hopefully I will have them up and running next weekend. I think they will look the part. So exited haha.

• Like 1