Glad he’s not my neighbor.

DizRotus

I love it, had an 83 Pontiac Grand Prix with t tops and 82 olds cutlass.  Next to old Mopars, those are some of my favorite cars.  Just recently joined a couple of G Body Facebook groups.  A lot of folks either have all original or LS swaps, some nice cars on those pages, some not so much..

According to the site below, the motor is a Lingenfelter LS2 and the drivetrain was fabricated; it’s not a Cutlass body on an S-10.  Apparently, since the Huskers suck, Nebraskans have too much time on their hands.

https://www.lsxmag.com/news/necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention-brian-kings-awd-1982-cutlass/

16 hours ago, jason str said:

The Oldsmobile 455 was never a good start for a high performance build, maybe if you were looking for 500 horsepower or so but there are better choices such as Pontiac or Chevrolet. I built a few Olds 455's, it made a better low to midrange RPM torque engine to move the lead sleds of the time but under high RPM's they would come apart and parts were costly compared to others. If you did want the Olds powertrain i recommend replacing the heavy cast iron pistons with aluminum first to lighten the rotating assembly and use a camshaft that peaks under 5000 RPM or spend big bucks on a complete bulletproof rotating assembly.

The 400 CI Olds engines of the late 1960's were the dog in the Olds Rocket engine line. Not their later performance 1970 455. Yes anything that wasn't a Chevrolet small block was more money to build due the vast numbers of these engines built since the mid 1950's. The trouble with the Chevrolet small block was they wouldn't idle properly with a carb on them. Expect 800 RPM with a Chevrolet Engine, where any big Olds, Buick or Pontiac Engine could both idle at 500 RPM and make gobs of torque between idle and 5000 RPM. As could Mopars 440 and 426 CI engines. The 440 Mopar was a better quarter mile car from the factory at the track. It was the Mopars and the Buick, Pontiac and Buick engined cars that were winning there in the early to late 1970's when you could run with one or more carbs and high octane leaded gas (I prefered the Quadrajet as I could modify them in my sleep and they were the carb back in the day most like fuel injection). You could modify Pontiac Heads to use Big Block Chevy cylinder heads parts like more adjustable rocker arms, etc. Another trick to make better daily performance.

14 hours ago, DizRotus said:

According to the site below, the motor is a Lingenfelter LS1 and the drivetrain was fabricated; it’s not a Cutlass body on an S10.  Apparently, since the Huskers suck, Nebraskans have too much time on their hands.

https://www.lsxmag.com/news/necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention-brian-kings-awd-1982-cutlass/

Interesting choice. He shoved a 403 Olds engine in that Hurst Olds (an engine I would avoid like death back in the day - but at least it would fit the Olds/Chevrolet transmission w/o modification) in place of the 307 Olds block that it came with (a boat anchor). Again being an Oldsmobile, I  would have built a 455 Olds Block to W30 specs (500 ft lbs of torque and 370 HP both rather underrated for insurance purposes) and upgraded from there for more torque; which is still the key to winning a drag race. 

Wb

396 and 427 are the best two Chevy engines ever built in my unimportant opinion. Both tough as nails. My cousin had a 427 in a short bed Chevy pick up that was bad a$$! 4x4 with a locker in the back, and tru track up front. Never had to go to four wheel drive in the mud, unless you just wanted to.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mr clean said:

396 and 427 are the best two Chevy engines ever built in my unimportant opinion. Both tough as nails. My cousin had a 427 in a short bed Chevy pick up that was bad a$$! 4x4 with a locker in the back, and tru track up front. Never had to go to four wheel drive in the mud, unless you just wanted to.

In their time I would agree,I had a '69 Camaro I ran several 396's and a 427 in over the 14 years I owned it.

At the same timeframe I like the 327 for it's high winding short stroke over the 350.

That said they just can't compete with LSX power,an LS7 427 is an amazing powerplant and the power to weight ratio is way better than any iron block MK IV engine.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

The 400 CI Olds engines of the late 1960's were the dog in the Olds Rocket engine line. Not their later performance 1970 455. Yes anything that wasn't a Chevrolet small block was more money to build due the vast numbers of these engines built since the mid 1950's. The trouble with the Chevrolet small block was they wouldn't idle properly with a carb on them. Expect 800 RPM with a Chevrolet Engine, where any big Olds, Buick or Pontiac Engine could both idle at 500 RPM and make gobs of torque between idle and 5000 RPM. As could Mopars 440 and 426 CI engines. The 440 Mopar was a better quarter mile car from the factory at the track. It was the Mopars and the Buick, Pontiac and Buick engined cars that were winning there in the early to late 1970's when you could run with one or more carbs and high octane leaded gas (I prefered the Quadrajet as I could modify them in my sleep and they were the carb back in the day most like fuel injection). You could modify Pontiac Heads to use Big Block Chevy cylinder heads parts like more adjustable rocker arms, etc. Another trick to make better daily performance.

Interesting choice. He shoved a 403 Olds engine in that Hurst Olds (an engine I would avoid like death back in the day - but at least it would fit the Olds/Chevrolet transmission w/o modification) in place of the 307 Olds block that it came with (a boat anchor). Again being an Oldsmobile, I  would have built a 455 Olds Block to W30 specs (500 ft lbs of torque and 370 HP both rather underrated for insurance purposes) and upgraded from there for more torque; which is still the key to winning a drag race. 

Wb

Not a 403 Olds and not an LS1 either, it's an LS2 all aluminum modern Corvette engine engine taken out to a 403 cid mill and procharged.

Far different animal,I have an LS1 in my Camaro it's an all aluminum 5.7L performance engine the LS2 is a 6.0L all aluminum performance engine that came mostly in Corvettes and Camaros but also GTO and some Caddys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, y2keglide said:

In their time I would agree,I had a '69 Camaro I ran several 396's and a 427 in over the 14 years I owned it.

At the same timeframe I like the 327 for it's high winding short stroke over the 350.

That said they just can't compete with LSX power,an LS7 427 is an amazing powerplant and the power to weight ratio is way better than any iron block MK IV engine.

I was talking 70s. I get stuck back then at times! Wish I had a time machine. I would go back.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I was talking 70s. I get stuck back then at times! Wish I had a time machine. I would go back.

I was grocery shopping the other day and i was wearing a pair of corduroy bell bottoms.   This lady comes up to me and is going nuts about how much she loved my pants. 

That’s the second time something like that has happened.  I also have a pair of black & white stripped bell bottoms ... i’m standing on a sidewalk downtown and this guy stops his car, rolls down the window and asks me “where did you get those pants?  I want some."

hey ... i still like 60s and 70s attire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

I was grocery shopping the other day and i was wearing a pair of corduroy bell bottoms.   This lady comes up to me and is going nuts about how much she loved my pants. 

That’s the second time something like that has happened.  I also have a pair of black & white stripped bell bottoms ... i’m standing on a sidewalk downtown and this guy stops his car, rolls down the window and asks me “where did you get those pants?  I want some."

hey ... i still like 60s and 70s attire.

Still got your ‘Beatles’ cut hair style. My old RCAF uncle used to comment he needed a veterinarian to determine whom was what in the 1970’s. Needless to say, he wore a tight brush cut from when he got his first hair cut going into the air force in the 1930’s. He was a Gunnery Sergeant Hartman type and stayed in the service even though they sent him to both Goose Bay, Labrador and White Horse in the Yukon. Today, those kind of postings would be a little easier to tolerate. Not so much in the 1960’s. I know my aunt hated living in Goose Bay and she grew up on an isolated farm and ranch.

Wb

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i had a co-worker say that he could clear out my closet and open a 70s clothing store. 

I could loan you one of the family woman. In ten minutes or less you’re stuff would all be at Goodwill and your closet filled with their shoes and clothing. I have to hide my NOS shoes, tubes, etc. in the basement under things too heavy for them to lift. If I wasn’t feeding them they’d turn on me like a pack of wolves, then dispose of my stuff.

BTW: By this, I really mean all of your stuff!

Wb

• Haha 1