Glad he’s not my neighbor.

DizRotus

12 hours ago, billybob said:

Some still prefer a stick shift...real old school...Hurst, etc...a man machine...

I be one,modern muscle having an LS powered car but I row a 6 speed manual with a heavy clutch (late LS7 clutch) and aluminum flywheel.B)

My actual shifter knob on an MGW short throw shifter.

zxzball.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mr clean said:

I was talking 70s. I get stuck back then at times! Wish I had a time machine. I would go back.

I have a bit of nostalgia for the days of muscle cars and long hair myself,I'd go back too but only if I could take what I know now with me.:D

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 8:21 AM, Wolfbane said:

The 400 CI Olds engines of the late 1960's were the dog in the Olds Rocket engine line. Not their later performance 1970 455. Yes anything that wasn't a Chevrolet small block was more money to build due the vast numbers of these engines built since the mid 1950's. The trouble with the Chevrolet small block was they wouldn't idle properly with a carb on them. Expect 800 RPM with a Chevrolet Engine, where any big Olds, Buick or Pontiac Engine could both idle at 500 RPM and make gobs of torque between idle and 5000 RPM. As could Mopars 440 and 426 CI engines. The 440 Mopar was a better quarter mile car from the factory at the track. It was the Mopars and the Buick, Pontiac and Buick engined cars that were winning there in the early to late 1970's when you could run with one or more carbs and high octane leaded gas (I prefered the Quadrajet as I could modify them in my sleep and they were the carb back in the day most like fuel injection). You could modify Pontiac Heads to use Big Block Chevy cylinder heads parts like more adjustable rocker arms, etc. Another trick to make better daily performance.

Interesting choice. He shoved a 403 Olds engine in that Hurst Olds (an engine I would avoid like death back in the day - but at least it would fit the Olds/Chevrolet transmission w/o modification) in place of the 307 Olds block that it came with (a boat anchor). Again being an Oldsmobile, I  would have built a 455 Olds Block to W30 specs (500 ft lbs of torque and 370 HP both rather underrated for insurance purposes) and upgraded from there for more torque; which is still the key to winning a drag race. 

Wb

Never had any carburetor issues, i mastered the Holley carbs and others over the years.

Chevrolet's transmission bolt pattern is different from Buick, Olds & Pontiac.

I had 3 different Oldsmobile's from 3 different years with factory 455's. 1 came with a 2bbl from 1971, that one stayed stock. The other ones were factory 455's 4bbl from 1971 & 1973, those were built up after owning a bit to different levels.

Had a few 60's Mopars as well 383 & 440, lots of time racing at Great Lakes Dragaway with those as well. Same place my father raced back in the 60's with his friends.

Mopars responded much better to modifications for the most part though i do remember a few broken flexplates.