Not a Surprise: New Mid-Engine Corvette Delayed

Wolfbane

I drew up some house plans once which would have cost me 3 million dollars. I looked in my bank account and I didn't have 3 million dollars.

I wanted to buy a new 100,000 dollar mid engined Corevette too. I looked in my bank account and I didn't have 100,000 dollars.

I settled for a cup of coffee at McDonalds.

JJK

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

too bad you didn’t spill that coffee on your lap, then you could have sued McDonalds.

14 hours ago, Coytee said:

Fixed it for ya

Imagine that; coffee that was actually hot? If you were lucky it would be fresh and almost boiling in your cup. I don't drink coffee but I do drink tea and make it as hot as possible by pre-heating my Japanese made cast iron pot and my tea cup (coffee mug actually) with boiling water during the three minutes it takes good tea to steep (good tea is loose tea and generally not found in bags which are frequently filled with tiny pieces of swept up tea leaves from the place in the facility that makes loose tea).

I think that you would have to be rather foolish to order coffee and not expect it to burn you if you dropped it in your lap. Not a lawsuit anywhere around my neck of the woods at that time.

Wb

39 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

If you look at the particulars of the case, it isn't as cut and dried as the popular anecdotes suggest.

I studied the case quite thoroughly. It involved a 79 year old woman who arrived in a car without cup holders and ordered her coffee via the drive through. From memory: She put the cup between her legs opened it by pulling the top in her direction to add cream and sugar while still sitting in the car spilling and burning herself in the process. I would not do that at age 18 when I still thought I was immortal and still young and foolish. Since they eventually settled with a NDA, after a ridiculous ~$3 million judgement. You just have to read the case abstract to get the facts regarding at what temperature the product was served at and the container it was served in, etc. Today McDonalds serves their coffee at the same 180 to 190 degree F temperature but uses a more idiot proof cup. Starbucks serve their coffee, tea and hot chocolate at temperatures even hotter than that. When I took my late mother for hot tea in her later years I made sure to order it with cream and sugar already in the cup, as this was how she preferred her tea. I also made certain the lid was fastened down tight and that she was holding it with the protective heat band in place. This was 20+ years after the McDonald's incident.

I believe that this case resulted in Tort reform in many jurisdictions across North America. That said, I do have sympathy for the woman's plight and reported resulting life long injuries.

Wb

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

If you look at the particulars of the case, it isn't as cut and dried as the popular anecdotes suggest.

I agree with you Brian ... but there are some rather interesting perspectives to this case. I do agree that operator error was a contributing cause. 

i’m not a huge coffee drinker and never visit Starbucks or buy coffee from a drive-thru place -- i’ll drink it at home if it’s a cold day.  Until this case, i never knew the temp that coffee was served.  I didn’t know the industry standard temp.  I didn’t know, and bet that most don’t know, how long a hot liquid can remain on your skin before causing a third degree burn. i’ve never performed a scientific study on this, but some claim that a 10 degree reduction in temperature will provide five times the length of time to wipe up the liquid before it causes a third degree burn. (I just read that the lady’s lawyers had expert witnesses claim that 190 degrees will cause third degree burn in three seconds -- hardly enough time to wipe it up if you’re driving).

i know in that case, McDonalds claimed that it wanted the coffee very hot so it would remain hot for an extended period of time for travelers during their commute, while their own study concluded that people began drinking it right away and don’t wait for it to cool down. I think the case also revealed that coffee from Burger King was even hotter. As Wofbane said, McDonalds hasn’t changed the temp.  They just made the warning on the cup larger (the court did point out that the warning on the cup was too small to be a useful warning). In my opinion, the point isn’t that someone should know that coffee is hot; but should something dangerously hot be served when (1) those temps will damage your esophagus and stomach, (2) the likelihood of a spill is much higher when consumed in a moving vehicle, (3) should a person be expected to know the coffee temp and the burn time associated with that temperature.  

coffee is probably a lot like speakers ... where is the point when something is no longer noticeable?  Can a person tell if coffee is 180 degrees vice 190 degrees?  At what point is hot just hot?  The coffee snobs will disagree with me of course. 

Coffee should be brewed at around 195, not served at it. It should not be near boiling, but Bane is so far north it probably cools quickly.  Tea is close to the same.  Boiling hot coffee is one of those things our parents and grandparents got wrong, much like the weak coffee they are used to.  Little known fact:  the reason the brits warmed their cups before pouring in the beverage is because their hovels were so cold the fine china would break from the temp difference if they didn't.  I know you disagree, but on average, never trust a thing a brit says or does.

• Haha 1

Have always insisted my women speak with a British accent.Not So much for the sexy but for the believable. A study was conducted for the voice preferences and was found that men found it easier on their ears and were more inclined to follow them than a man. GPS, a case in point. Now back to coffee.

YMMD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I mean, if Elizabeth Hurley needed to borrow a cup of sugar, I wouldn't say no, as long as she didn't talk.  Their accent is maddening.  As you know, hehe.

I’ve seen her up close and had face to face conversation -- LOVED the accent; but then i would have still been happy if she was just standing there. Rhona is a Very down to earth actress. 

th.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I agree with you Brian ... but there are some rather interesting perspectives to this case. I do agree that operator error was a contributing cause. 

i’m not a huge coffee drinker and never visit Starbucks or buy coffee from a drive-thru place -- i’ll drink it at home if it’s a cold day.  Until this case, i never knew the temp that coffee was served.  I didn’t know the industry standard temp.  I didn’t know, and bet that most don’t know, how long a hot liquid can remain on your skin before causing a third degree burn. i’ve never performed a scientific study on this, but some claim that a 10 degree reduction in temperature will provide five times the length of time to wipe up the liquid before it causes a third degree burn. (I just read that the lady’s lawyers had expert witnesses claim that 190 degrees will cause third degree burn in three seconds -- hardly enough time to wipe it up if you’re driving).

i know in that case, McDonalds claimed that it wanted the coffee very hot so it would remain hot for an extended period of time for travelers during their commute, while their own study concluded that people began drinking it right away and don’t wait for it to cool down. I think the case also revealed that coffee from Burger King was even hotter. As Wofbane said, McDonalds hasn’t changed the temp.  They just made the warning on the cup larger (the court did point out that the warning on the cup was too small to be a useful warning). In my opinion, the point isn’t that someone should know that coffee is hot; but should something dangerously hot be served when (1) those temps will damage your esophagus and stomach, (2) the likelihood of a spill is much higher when consumed in a moving vehicle, (3) should a person be expected to know the coffee temp and the burn time associated with that temperature.  

coffee is probably a lot like speakers ... where is the point when something is no longer noticeable?  Can a person tell if coffee is 180 degrees vice 190 degrees?  At what point is hot just hot?  The coffee snobs will disagree with me of course. 

9 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Coffee should be brewed at around 195, not served at it. It should not be near boiling, but Bane is so far north it probably cools quickly.  Tea is close to the same.  Boiling hot coffee is one of those things our parents and grandparents got wrong, much like the weak coffee they are used to.  Little known fact:  the reason the brits warmed their cups before pouring in the beverage is because their hovels were so cold the fine china would break from the temp difference if they didn't.  I know you disagree, but on average, never trust a thing a brit says or does.

The hottest beverage I’ve ever been served is green tea at a local Japanese restaurant. Not sure how they can get their tea so hot. It arrives practically boiling at the table in a ceramic pot. They certainly don’t warm the cups up. Must have some special tea brewing equipment in the back from Japan that they keep silent about like its a State secret. The entire serving staff come from Japan in rotation to learn English and enjoy Banff National Park and the Rockies which are a short drive due west. 

9 hours ago, billybob said:

Have always insisted my women speak with a British accent.Not So much for the sexy but for the believable. A study was conducted for the voice preferences and was found that men found it easier on their ears and were more inclined to follow them than a man. GPS, a case in point. Now back to coffee.

YMMD

First thing I did with the GPS in my German made car was hack into it to replace the machine’s annoying New Jersey accented woman’s voice. I replaced it with a hot sounding British woman’s voice. She calls highways and freeways ‘motor ways’ and uses other strange references like calling a UPS store an ‘ups store’ and Highway 2 is called ‘HW Number Two’. The last thing I wanted to hear was a German accented woman threatening that I would be shot or sent to the Russian Front if I missed a directed turn on my route home one day.

For all I know, both women could be older than me and just have young sounding voices. 

Wb

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1