Not a Surprise: New Mid-Engine Corvette Delayed

Wolfbane

20 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

First thing I did with the GPS in my German made car was hack into it to replace the machine’s annoying New Jersey accented woman’s voice. I replaced it with a hot sounding British woman’s voice.

i did the same with my phone ... british female voice giving me instruction/information. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chassis is right then all right.

Their are benefits you may know of pulling back the engine eight inch.

Creating a new chassis for a mid with the engine is certainly a good thing (?) Done right. The Corvette needs no setback from original

design.

That Rochester mechanical fuel injection, new in ‘57, was tricky to make run correctly.  A high school friend’s father had a ‘62 327 fuelie.  He was a mechanic at an Olds dealership, but he had a well deserved reputation for being able to properly setup up that fuel injection unit.

A very good friend of mine and his wife owned two ‘65 Vettes, a 327 300hp blue coupe and a silver 327 365 hp convertible.  The license plates read, “HIS VET” and “HER VET.”  In the days before cell phones we drove both from Grand Haven, MI to the INDY 500 using walkie-talkies from Radio Shack to communicate with each other while driving.

To illustrate just how good a friend, he lent me the convertible for the weekend in 1980 when my now wife and I reunited after losing track of each other for eight years after college.  I enjoyed driving that car, but she could not have cared less about it.  

The 365 hp 327 was the same as the 375 fuel injection engine, except a large Holley carb replaced the mechanical fuel injection.  Otherwise, the same cam, solid lifters, dual point ignition, and compression ratio as the fuelie. The car was silver with black leather interior, aluminum knock-off wheels, and factory side pipes, similar to the attached photo.  That car is worth serious money today.

17CCE7D3-F7EA-4EF2-A453-02A02116DCD7.jpeg

• Like 3

Rochester fuel injection was also available on the ‘57 Chevy Bel Air.  The same friend mentioned above owned one that his father kept running like a Swiss watch.  We took it from Portage, MI to Indy and got a kick out of the reactions when people saw the “Fuel Injection” logos on the front fenders. The gas pump jockeys (remember those days) wouldn’t believe it was really fuel injected until they popped the hood.

An even more rare option was Rochester fuel injection on ‘57 and ‘58 Pontiacs.  It was similar, but not identical, to the Chevy version.  Last photo.

116BF7D8-8163-4941-B90F-B1A0D3CBE697.jpeg

9E794E8D-8124-4D92-B665-9FC276FF2424.jpeg

7D1C4B5B-8D0E-4438-9501-C6883BCC6C90.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^^ Above brings back memories of my childhood^^^.

I had a friend who was a neighbor and friend of my parents two doors down from their first home. As dad was always working 6 days a week and Jerry had no boys of his own,  he kind of adopted me and he being a machinist was into automobile engines. Especially small block Chevy's. He taught me a lot of things by allowing me to come to his machine shop and work on stuff. I never touched the Rochester FI system shown but knew how to rebuild for performance pretty much everything else with an engine and carb by the time I was 15 or 16. I really liked the Rochester Quadrajet which Jerry called the most FI like carb on the market. I also got into Mopars and could rebuild their Thermoquads which were also easily modified for performance. The weak link on the old Carter Thermoquads was the plastic main body which tended to warp with time and heat.

Wb

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, Wolfbane said:

First thing I did with the GPS in my German made car was hack into it to replace the machine’s annoying New Jersey accented woman’s voice. I replaced it with a hot sounding British woman’s voice. She calls highways and freeways ‘motor ways’ and uses other strange references like calling a UPS store an ‘ups store’ and Highway 2 is called ‘HW Number Two’. The last thing I wanted to hear was a German accented woman threatening that I would be shot or sent to the Russian Front if I missed a directed turn on my route home one day.

Do you remember The Chris Isaak Show?  It followed the daily lives of Chris and his band members.  The only actual actor was the keyboard player.  The other band members did a decent job of playing themselves, though.  It was a slice-of-life show with occasional comedy.

To get to the point, Chris was was driving something like a high-miler 1965 Chevy II that would run on after being shut off.  His manager said he deserved (and could afford) something better, so she bought him a late-model BMW sedan, complete with voice navigation.  After a short drive, he said the car had to go.  When the manager asked why, he said that he recognized the voice of the navi unit.  It was an ex-girlfriend of his (the entertainment industry is not that big after all), and he really didn't need her telling him where to go in his new car, since he'd had enough of that when they were together.

The agent understood and quickly got rid of the car.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Islander said:

Do you remember The Chris Isaak Show?  It followed the daily lives of Chris and his band members.  The only actual actor was the keyboard player.  The other band members did a decent job of playing themselves, though.  It was a slice-of-life show with occasional comedy.

To get to the point, Chris was was driving something like a high-miler 1965 Chevy II that would run on after being shut off.  His manager said he deserved (and could afford) something better, so she bought him a late-model BMW sedan, complete with voice navigation.  After a short drive, he said the car had to go.  When the manager asked why, he said that he recognized the voice of the navi unit.  It was an ex-girlfriend of his (the entertainment industry is not that big after all), and he really didn't need her telling him where to go in his new car, since he'd had enough of that when they were together.

The agent understood and quickly got rid of the car.

He should have hacked into the navigation system (easy) and replaced it with the accent he really wanted. A German woman threatening to send him to the Russian Front perhaps. "Turn left in precisely 500 metres or you will be Shot!"

Wb

After having an iron block LT-1 for a few years the new LT-2 looks interesting. Tall but the dress kit looks good under the glass.

Best thing about it living in the south is that turning the ac on cooled the engine instead of the opposite. Don't see how the improvements in power could be done without the reverse-flow cooling that the LT-1 revolutionized (at least for me).

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=625920

Edited by JohnJ