would well braced 12mm Baltic birch suffice for a baby La Scala at high input power?

karlson3

I'm pretty sure 15mm with  a few braces will do it  and would do for much bigger horn  - but not so sure about 12mm.  A 0.8 scale La Scala would be about a 19 inch cube.  I've a bunch of hernia and like to keep weight down as much as possible.   La Scala's "ramps" would be the only back panel bracing.   Back chamber volume would have to be reduced

to limit over-excursion beow cutoff.

moxjBWV.png

I have done quite a bit of work with BB both 1/2" and 3/4 Or 12mm & 18mm really, i don't see an issue with it as its all connected from rear panel to the doghouse.

For the horn mouth braces should continue through the driver chamber to eliminate any chance of panel resonating.

Good luck.

jason - I  appreciate the advice  - Randyh - "baby"  in this case a fully scaled cabinet down to 12 inch size.   I have a Belle scaled ~0.83

PWK had a Runt La Scala  for 12" which was not fully scaled. 

That's a K601 on top and a Blu Ray in the mouth to give a rough idea of size - its made of 15mm Baltic birch.

ezEL6uO.jpg

I"m not a fan of the LaScala bass horn. I prefer the Belle or Peavey FH-1. 12mm should work if you have 90 degree bracing. When I went to the Midwest Audio Speaker competition a few years ago, some guy brought a HUGE bass horn made our of cardboard that was held together with Duct Tape. He disposed of it after the show, but this thing was shaking the building, even though it was lossy and pulsating in the cardboard structure. We all got a kick out of it, literally!! So yes, go for 12mm, it will work fine.