Crossovers

whatever55

The only minuses of the Xilica are:

• a Xilica costs money (assuming you already own a Dx38), and
  • there are no real front panel controls except a couple of buttons and a rotating selector wheel, making the setting of the Xilica much more difficult from the front panel only (but note that no one I know uses the front panel to control the unit, rather they use the PC-based application to control it remotely). 

The pluses include:

• higher internal sample rate (96 kHz vs. 48) which adds to the "sparkle" and openess of the sound quality,
  • lower noise (the Xilica self-mutes on very low signal levels--a selectable function that can be turned off)
  • more PEQs per output channel (8 vs. 4) and apparently better performance while using many PEQs at once (the Dx38 has a tendency to lock up at some level of PEQ use)
  • more range in channel gains (-30 dB vs. -12dB) and (15dB vs. 12 dB)
  • more input PEQs per input channel (8 vs. 5)
  • much easier-to-use (PC- and Mac-based application, front panel USB connection, rear panel Ethernet connection)

There are more pluses, but these will be enough to make a decision.

I don't use analog active crossovers, and would not recommend them since they cannot provide channel delays (a big deal), and equalization (PEQs, ramping filters, all-pass).  These are too important to not have in the crossover, IMHO.

Chris

• Like 2

Hi Mike, long time no see!

I went with the Xilica and now  have both my EV's sitting in a closet.  You may recall that I'm not as critical of a listener as some here are....  the biggest reason I did it was I wanted to get away from two units and consolidate to a single one.  Having essentially blind faith in what Chris has to say....he liked the Xilica so I followed his footsteps without hesitation.

I personally, find it much more quirky to program than I do the EV unit.  Then again, I only fooled with it once/twice as I was learning & programming it.  I've not touched it since so I'd probably have to go through the learning curve again (I am somewhat constrained to using the front panel verses a linked PC which I think would make it a bit easier)

I can't say that you'd notice any improvements....  you certainly won't notice any negatives and if like me, you have two units, it will allow you to consolidate.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

(but note that no one I know uses the front panel to control the unit, rather they use the PC-based application to control it remotely)

What Chris means to say is nobody around here is dufas enough to use the front panel....  well....  now he knows one and I can finally tell my wife I was in first place!!  (we don't have to tell her it was the dufas award)

On 11/9/2019 at 1:11 PM, Coytee said:

(I am somewhat constrained to using the front panel verses a linked PC which I think would make it a bit whole bunch easier)

Fixed it for ya. The XConsole free software makes programming the Xilica MUCH easier. Just had to state my opinion.

I always get a chuckle out of seeing they picked "XConsole" as a name for their program, as if (obviously, I guess) they were unaware that's the name of an X (networked windows, for various Unix flavors) program from the '80s.  I'm fairly certain I could still compile and run it.

30 minutes ago, glens said:

...as if (obviously, I guess) they were unaware that's the name of an X (networked windows, for various Unix flavors) program from the '80s.  I'm fairly certain I could still compile and run it.

Yes...That reminds me of a period of time that was similarly exploratory for me as it is now--but a lot less "brainless" in terms of load-and-go of applications, GUIs and OSs today.  

Chris